Robson road haulage Deptford south London

I recently came across some photos off Robson s trucks on this forum,i remember seeing these trucks often in breweries and distrubtion depots, when i worked as a trunker driver for Bass breweries in there East london depot in the 80s and 90s .I often talked to there drivers one i remember was a big friendly black guy who i think drove a Mercedes powerliner , i gather this was a good company and good boss [ Ted Robson i believe] to work for and often thought about jumping ship to work for him as, i lived in charlton S.E,7 at the time not far from there depot in deptford,any way the reason for this rambling story is i believe Robsons lost the Holston contract and finished in the mid 90s but what happened to Ted Robson and hes sons did they stay in transport move on or retire any update would be welcome .Just as a foot note i ended doing 38yrs with Bass and ended up at the hampshire brewery untill i was made redundant in 2015 when they closed the brewery at the age of 59 and do not regret a single moment great job great blokes.

I remember Robson’s when they were based In railway arches in Bellenden Road Peckham, I used to watch them pulling into the yard Scania 110,s when I was a kid, flat bed trailers roped and sheeted Holstien Beer no curtain siders then sorry but I don’t know what happened to them.
I left school and worked for a Scania dealers in Redriff Road Surry Docks as an apprentice and remember many south London firms that ran Scania’s

G E FRANCIS
BARRY TITTERAL
SURRY WHARF
PIERPOINT & HALPIN
GRANGEWOOD TRANSPORT
H T S
anyone got pic’s of these ■■

I remember Robsons well, I used to live right opposite his yard on Evelyn St. The lads used to congregate at the end of the week for a beer or two in the Black Horse pub (my old local) where Robson often held court !! Less well known was he also ran The Tottenham FC team bus, as well as having another yard off Ilderton Road in the old railway sheds for a contract with Sarsons Vinegar and Fray Bentos corned beef, was a regular subbie job for us (Gains Transport out of Plough way) doing 3-4 drops of both product (rope and sheet). His wagons were mainly liveried up as Holstein but he had some in White in Lowenbrau (sp?) colours. The Top man on the company got the Scania Centurion to drive. Robson also opened a imported beer outlet in the old car showroom at the front of his yard (Next to the Shell garage)Tried to get a job on with them a couple times but it was dead mans shoes

southlondoner:
I left school and worked for a Scania dealers in Redriff Road Surry Docks as an apprentice and remember many south London firms that ran Scania’s

You must remember Fishers then… Blue Scanias, moved from Bermondsey into the old Parker Packing factory on Plough Way

Hi Chaps

Robson Seniors name was Charlie, his sons were Ted and Micky - in fact they were half brothers. Yes, they held the Holsten job for a lot of years - legend had it that Charlie was ex SAS or special forces from WW2 and the main man at Holsten was his former CO, how true that is I don’t know.

After Peckham they moved into Chambers Wharf , off Jamaica Rd before Evelyn St - the yard alongside Ilderton Road was Red Post Lane.

The beer used to arrive at Harwich on their flat trailers and for a while in containers into Tilbury, all from Hamburg their influence on the job waned when they started to brew Holsten at Isleworth, we used to subcontract for them, Ted was a gentleman

Cheers

Tony

Oh yeah, sorry for got to say,

We (Myers Transport) were hauliers for Bass at Cooks Road, Stratford for a number of years, good times .

I remember all the companies mentioned above, including Albert Fisher - we were in Rotherhithe near Fisher’s, then later on in the Purfleet Industrial Park, Purfleet.

As far as I know Albert died fairly young, about 47, I think, his son Mark ran the company for a while before it closed.

Tony

knowall:
Oh yeah, sorry for got to say,

We (Myers Transport) were hauliers for Bass at Cooks Road, Stratford for a number of years, good times .

I remember all the companies mentioned above, including Albert Fisher - we were in Rotherhithe near Fisher’s, then later on in the Purfleet Industrial Park, Purfleet.

As far as I know Albert died fairly young, about 47, I think, his son Mark ran the company for a while before it closed.

Tony

Hi Tony … I remember BJ Myers as well :slight_smile: Think by the time Robsons moved to Evelyn St Charlie had semi retired and left the boys running it, funny thing is despite their yard being right alongside one of the roughest estates in the area (Pepys) it never seemed to get turned over. :wink:
Albie Fisher was a decent bloke, though very unlucky it always seemed to be just before Xmas, when work was slack and money was starting to look tight, that the containers in his yard fell off the top of the stack on to of a couple of his “older” tractor units- still these accidents happen that’s what insurance is for :slight_smile:

Just had a look at Google Earth at the old neighbourhood, the Phillip Morris machine shop has gone (Junc Grinstead Road/Evelyn St) the Shell garage is still there but looks bigger and the Old Robson yard looks like a building site, over the canal bridge the strawberry cold store is now a self store warehouse, and AE Drains old yard a small industrial estate. Gains Transport yard in Yeoman St and Parker packing factory are all poncy apartments