Old transport companies

stronsaychris:
Beresford transport and Beresford international shut down about 20 yrs ago. Fleet was nearly all “A” series ERF Continental tractors nearly all had “Bubbles” built on the back. I think Bassetts from Tittensor took over some of the kit and work. I worked for them on Continental for about 3 years. Pay and work was good.

Bassetts did indeed take over Beresford, as a means of starting up their own international operation. I recall Bassett having a Rolls-engined Borderer too, together with many a B Series ERF

I remember well old Reg Bassett. Went in there one day to pick up a load for London. It needed to be transhipped from one of his very smart new trailers and, looking at my old thing, I suggested that I swop, guaranteeing to reload myself in London for Stoke.
He smiled slowly and swung his head from side to side. The load was transhipped.
One of the old school he was a very big bloke physically I recall and quite fierce I believe.

Salut, David.

stronsaychris:
Anybody out there work for Comart or Moorlock as it became, or Knight and Riley trading as ceramic euroflow in the mid/late 70,s?

Remember Moorlock and Comart. Remember my dad being stranded in Koln waiting for a reload wioth one of Moorlocks, smart outfit with the F88s and matching livery on the fridges!

Does anyone remember John Reardon from the 70s ?Liverpool based
( Quarry Street) It was Peter Reardons father business originally , he went on to become MTL(Mersey Trucking Ltd) /Brenlee white F88s and F89s ? ; Peter is now Manger at Mcburneys in Liverpool.

Anyone remember Adelphi Haulage in Kirkby?

[quote
Anyone remember Adelphi Haulage in Kirkby?[/quote]

And Keenans of Kirkby.

JB:
thomson jewitts anyone? aka tom and jerrys :laughing:
some cracking blokes on there… dave bywater(blown out of his cab by a gas cylinder)… big al… various others who i cant name.
didnt they take over bartons european and m.e work david?

JB, I used to do a night trunk from Barking to Sutton for TJ in about 1988, I think Bunzl had just taken them over. As I wasnt based there I only knew the guys first names (except for the nutter on the loading bay who I only knew as ‘the nutter on the loading bay’, I always got ‘the nutter on the loading bay’, I will never forget ‘the etc etc’). But there was a guy called Dave who was a shunter on nights, he was a terrifuc guy and i never forgot him, this wasnt the guy who was blown out of his cab was it? if so is he ok? If not do you remember Dave the shunter?
Phil

hi buzzer .got picture of you in cabmonts yard in sanny with sleeper cab made in andover.i next to you was sitting a dodge (spanish) with same cab blue with yellow stripe . dun rubber to membury and france.

Comart, now there’s a blast from the past. I seem to remember a couple of Comart trucks heading out of Calais one particularly foggy night and the leading one missed a turn in a village (can’t remember the name of it) and ploughed straight into a cottage, swiftly followed by his mate who went straight into the back of him. Whoops! :blush:
Must have been early to mid 70’s I think.

240 Gardner:

stronsaychris:
Beresford transport and Beresford international shut down about 20 yrs ago. Fleet was nearly all “A” series ERF Continental tractors nearly all had “Bubbles” built on the back. I think Bassetts from Tittensor took over some of the kit and work. I worked for them on Continental for about 3 years. Pay and work was good.

Bassetts did indeed take over Beresford, as a means of starting up their own international operation. I recall Bassett having a Rolls-engined Borderer too, together with many a B Series ERF

Bassets were great, it used to look like a transport museum going past their place on the 34. I once called in there to get some help with a bosted motor. I cant remember what it was, though a spring seems to be in mind. Anyway, they did help me out!

A bit more recent perhaps, but we were reminiscing t’other day about some tanker companies :wink:

Freighthire, Pilkingtons, Fleet Haulage of Ribchester, Fleet had a fleet of dog rough DAFS and the drivers were not much better :smiley:

I found one, Thanks Bubbleman :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi in answer to your question billy Daniel of w j Daniel transport sold up and moved to rubery until his wife passed away shortly after that he had a serious illness which put him out of action for a year but he bounced back and moved to Dorset where he passed away his son Steve still drives class 1 as does his son in law dale who married bills daughter Wendy :smiley:

Add another one to the list, Allister transport, ran a fleet of 141,s out of upminster had about 2 or 3 years with him doing spain and italy until he went bust,in the same yard as webster miller and kentvale at the time

R J Matthew Transport Ltd (Sittingbourne Kent)Started in 1983 until 2005 Smart Motors as I recall

Flyingrabbit:
R J Matthew Transport Ltd (Sittingbourne Kent)Started in 1983 until 2005 Smart Motors as I recall

I used to work for Daniels in bromsgrove
and when they moved to brieley hill. I worked
in the garage with frank. What was your dads
Name

truckyboy:
been looking through my book of old companies…here are a few…:
BJ MYERS
AUDNEL FREIGHT
L.E.P.
EUROPEAN FREIGHT BUS
EUROMOVE
WEBSTER MILLER
ALBERT FISHER
P.I.E.
AMG INTERFREIGHT
PARTRICK INTERNATIONAL
CABMONT
ATWELL
FALCON ROADWAYS
FAIRFREIGHT INTERNATIONAL
SEABOURNE EXPRESS
NICHOLLS ENFIELD
BARRY TITTERELL
R.H.TROTTMAN
SHENANDOAH
MURPHYS
MARTINTRUX
BOWLER INTERNATIONAL
KELLY FREIGHT
LACEYS BARKING
WENTMORE HAULAGE
LLOYDS LUDLOW
CADWALLADER
O.H.S.
VISBEEN
FREIGHT FORCE
U.F.O.
HICKS
LOWE PADDOCK WOOD
FERRY FREIGHTING
HARGREAVE
MONDIAL
WHITE TRUX
ROBA
MCKELLA
BERESFORD
DOW FREIGHT
MYERS
SEE IF YOU KNOW SOME OF THESE

My old man Keith Fermor used to pull for a couple of these firms. He actually started on Lowes in an old ERF. He then got a split screen Atkinson and used to do runs for the naafi. He also worked for Barry Titterell driving BAT 2 which was a really nice Scania 141

Hi this picture was taken on Mont Cenis in the early 70’s and the backend of the tilt on the right is Barry A Titterell just wondered if your dad is in the shot. This was my first trip to Italy and meant to go the Blanc but customs went on strike and bumped into two BAT trucks south of Paris, they were diverting over Cenis which I did not even know about and they said tag on behind ok but they had 140/ 141and I only had a 110 so very hard to keep with them, that’s all history now Cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Hi this picture was taken on Mont Cenis in the early 70’s and the backend of the tilt on the right is Barry A Titterell just wondered if your dad is in the shot. This was my first trip to Italy and meant to go the Blanc but customs went on strike and bumped into two BAT trucks south of Paris, they were diverting over Cenis which I did not even know about and they said tag on behind ok but they had 140/ 141and I only had a 110 so very hard to keep with them, that’s all history now Cheers Buzzer.

Cheers for posting Buzzer. My dads not in this pic but I love the photo. And it’s great to hear the story as it reminds me of all the comradre on the road back then. I spent a lot of time traveling with my dad and have some really fond memories. Thanks once again.

I remember Keeenans of Kirkby as they then became BOC “Transhield” on the Marks & Spencers contract.

I don,t remember Adelphi of Kirkby but I did work for a time as a fitter in the garage @ Kirkdale Lewis Haulage in Charleywood Rd. (ex Cherry lane) who used to work for the BICC @ Prescot and US lines on the containers (now presumably ACL?).

Does anyone remember Alfred Derbyshires on the estate they used to run maroon Fodens.

Then there was Williams Harvey next to and part of Reo Tinto Zinc who also owned Kirkdale Lewis Haulage next door, Williams Harvey is now Eldapoint container storage and repairs.

I also remember a company called “Cheshire Haulage” who rented a space in the yard at Kirkdale Lewis they ran Scania 110,s on international fridge work.

Then came the 3 day week and Kirkdale was bought out by K&G haulage of Preston (Bamber Bridge) and all the fleet was sold except for a few new units to keep the US lines contract so work could be subbied out and the Gardners (2 ERF,s) were sent to Bamber Bridge with a couple of the Leyland Beavers.

Strange thing was that the year the co. was put up for sale they bought 5 new tractor units, 3 Volvo F86,s and 2 Guy Big J,s with 220 ■■■■■■■ engines and AEC 6 speed Gearboxes.

stronsaychris:
Anybody out there work for Comart or Moorlock as it became, or Knight and Riley trading as ceramic euroflow in the mid/late 70,s?

Yeah,Bassetts took over most of Berrisfords kit,but I think Bassetts have packed in continental now,I MAY be wrong.
I met two of Berrisfords drivers in Ankara on their way back from Teheran,I think the only Middle East trip Berrisfords ever did.They were Dennis Holford and Big Jack Banbury,both now sadly departed.One other Berrisford driver,big lad,was his name Mick Salt?
I got to know a few of the lads on Comart and Moorlock when I was driving for Brit European and Chapman and Ball.The only one I’ve seen in recent years is Dave Pritchard,used to be well known in the Harem Hotel in Istanbul.Last time I saw him,he was driving an artic tipper locally running clay from a claypit to the brickworks.

Alright then how about this…
Anyone remember Peter the Plater. used to work for Hicks, I think he married one of the birds out of the greasy spoon in Dover, or how about Tony Meddings used to be on for Priors, and then there was Black Neville Adams( another good mate of mine, I pulled for Lawrabian at the same time as Neville when he had his White) He pulled for Mavetons and Lawrabian. And what about Red Leader One, on for Lawrabian and Tanker Bill before that, anyone one remember him. I pulled in to the Londra one trip on my way home from Doha, and he stood there and said to me " your late, I heard you were in Aksaray yesterday" !!! What about Johnny Austin and Wing Commander Long. One trip in Bulgy, on our way home, we were all putting our chains on and Wing commander came roaring over the hill, pulled up and said" Hello Chaps, wonderful day for flying" !! then he got back in his truck and off he went.
Phil Houghton’s name springs to mind and so does Ritchie Thorne,used to pull for Whittle and then R& J.