The River Tyne

kevmac47:

oiltreader:
Howdon Car Ferry Jarrow 1967.
Oily

That ferry is the “AB Gowan”. I lived less than half a mile from that ferry landing (Gray Street) until I was aged nine. The ferry was built in 1921 in Amble (l think) it ran until the day the road tunnel was opened in September 1967. It was scrapped at Dunston the same year. That pic Oily must be one of the last ever taken of the boat and the landing at Jarrow. Regards Kev. PS Thanks for the memory. :smiley: :smiley:
[/quote

Frankydobo:
Rastone wrote: Not sure but my lad lives in High Heaton could you give me location of Heaton itself.

Heaton and High Heaton lie Northeast of Newcastle centre and are two separate places as you may have guessed, High Heaton is North of Heaton and both are separated by the Newcastle to Tynemouth Coast Rd. The photo with the old Ford has the caption Heaton Dene but this was more likely Heaton Park, the Ouseburn Valley runs North from the River Tyne through Heaton and High Heaton, Gosforth and on still heading North. The Ouseburn separates the Heatons from Jesmond to its left and is called Jesmond Dene here. At the top end of High Heaton is the very large DHSS complex known by locals as ‘The Ministry’ which employs many from the Northeast. High Heaton as the name suggests was always seen as one of the ‘Posher’ parts of the areas that surround Newcastle because of its mostly private housing. My wife was born in Heaton close to the Coast Rd/Chillingham Rd, this road travels from Byker near the river (where I was born) North to Heaton and further although with road name changes. High Heaton today is still a very nice area, I hope this helps in locating the whereabouts your son lives when you look at this modern road map of the area. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Rastone wrote: Not sure but my lad lives in High Heaton could you give me location of Heaton itself.

Heaton and High Heaton lie Northeast of Newcastle centre and are two separate places as you may have guessed, High Heaton is North of Heaton and both are separated by the Newcastle to Tynemouth Coast Rd. The photo with the old Ford has the caption Heaton Dene but this was more likely Heaton Park, the Ouseburn Valley runs North from the River Tyne through Heaton and High Heaton, Gosforth and on still heading North. The Ouseburn separates the Heatons from Jesmond to its left and is called Jesmond Dene here. At the top end of High Heaton is the very large DHSS complex known by locals as ‘The Ministry’ which employs many from the Northeast. High Heaton as the name suggests was always seen as one of the ‘Posher’ parts of the areas that surround Newcastle because of its mostly private housing. My wife was born in Heaton close to the Coast Rd/Chillingham Rd, this road travels from Byker near the river (where I was born) North to Heaton and further although with road name changes. High Heaton today is still a very nice area, I hope this helps in locating the whereabouts your son lives when you look at this modern road map of the area. Cheers Franky.

Thanks for that.After about 20’rs managing to Know where I am.Walk down the Dene quite a bit and over the bridge(.Pity about the pollution in the river there isn’t it) and past the Ministry.I know Chillingham Road as he lives not far from Sainsbury’s.Yes some quiet streets and I would think houses around the 1930’s.Probally cost new abou £500.My lad Barney showed me the call centres up the road.AMAZING and we all think these call’s come from India.

Thanks again

Tony