RDC's name and shame (or praise)

My column a few weeks ago in CM has raised some interest so we want to do a follow up-

What we want to do is to highlight the best and worst RDC’s you deliver too. However to make it credible we need more than …"went to so and so RDC and they were crap !! "

So nominate your
BEST AND WORST RDC’s
Give us an idea of how you are treated in both cases from arrival at the in gate, how they deal with problems (late/early arrival etc) through the goods in office, the facilities offered while waiting. time after tipping awaiting paperwork etc

I am sure you get the idea…
posts that are simply nothing but abuse and tirades will be ignored, please try to give instances and reasons why you like/dislike visiting your nominated RDC’s.

Please note these comments may be used in an article for Commercial Motor magazine, if you do not want your comments used please do not post in this thread.

tescos dirft i like, they are nice to drivers and speak and treat you like a human being, the seating area is average and the coffee you have to pay for but if you ask nicley your allowed to stay in your truck or drop your trailer and park in a bay thus remaining in your truck, tescos in daventry at the old argos place is awful, security gaurds are nice but the tesco staff are rude and unhelpful, the waitng room is normally dirty and the bays are difficult to get on due to posts everywhere, and they are very slow with paperwork in my experience. amazing how two depots so close can be ran so differently. on a tesos note the one in newcastle under lyme is BRILLIANT, very helpful kind staff and amazingly clean premises.(and i dont work for tescos they just seem to be the ones i visit the most)

Praise

Although RDC’s were not a main part of my work, surprisingly enough I didn’t mind LIDL at Magna Park.

The girl in goods reception has a great sense of humour, especially at 6am when most drivers were still a bit grumpy.

It was funny to listen to the stroppy ones who wouldn’t help or were just plain awkward, she always had a witty retort and could make a driver look like an idiot within seconds :laughing:

The quicker you tipped yourself and mucked in to help another driver, the quicker you were on your way, paperwork was not long in being completed. By the time you had pulled the lorry off the bay, & visited the clean & tidy toilets, the notes were ready on the desk.

ive found all tesco to be good, even the shunter drivers help you, what i have seen is alot of anti stobart in various locations luckily i dont have a uniform, but am sure stobies has stepped on many toes but just as tnt and dhl have and there not british companies, i have recently done a few tesco express deliveries all cage work and it was excellent no stress happy banter and a free cup of tea made with proper coffee and kettle, i work weekends and find the staff at weekends just hate to see the sight of you, but i suppose i would feel the same doing there job, if i come across i really awful one i will post it, same as if i come across a goodin

dustylfc:
ive found all tesco to be good, even the shunter drivers help you, what i have seen is alot of anti stobart in various locations luckily i dont have a uniform, but am sure stobies has stepped on many toes but just as tnt and dhl have and there not british companies, i have recently done a few tesco express deliveries all cage work and it was excellent no stress happy banter and a free cup of tea made with proper coffee and kettle, i work weekends and find the staff at weekends just hate to see the sight of you, but i suppose i would feel the same doing there job, if i come across i really awful one i will post it, same as if i come across a goodin

bet that tasted a bit wierd :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ok, ok, back on topic now

praise

Tesco Magor, i arrived 18 hours early (18:45 on Tuesday, booked for 13:00 wednesday) with a 40 foot container full of rose wine, they let me in and tipped me and i was out again within 45 minutes (30 mins of that was trying to open and close the doors :blush: ), the waiting area was clean and also had vending machines for tea, coffee and snacks, the staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The Magor depot is still run by Tesco themselves, not a transport and warehousing company :wink:

It’s kicking time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the worst RDC was Tesco again, this time at Middlewich, i arrived 1 hour early for my booking time, i was actually doing this job as a favour to a friend (i know, some friend :unamused: ), when i got there, i was told that the yard was “in lock down”, basically, nothing was going in, there was already too many vehicles in the yard, i sat there for nearly 2 hours waiting at the gate before i was let in, went in, parked in a parking bay, walked over to the goods in office, handed over the notes only to be told “you’re gonna have to wait drive, you’re late!”

to say that i was not amused, would be a slight understatement :open_mouth:

that particular goods in clerk came very close to finding out if he would actually fit through the little window that they used to have there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

dustylfc:

bet that tasted a bit wierd :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ok, ok, back on topic now

praise

Tesco Magor, i arrived 18 hours early (18:45 on Tuesday, booked for 13:00 wednesday) with a 40 foot container full of rose wine, they let me in and tipped me and i was out again within 45 minutes (30 mins of that was trying to open and close the doors :blush: ), the waiting area was clean and also had vending machines for tea, coffee and snacks, the staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. The Magor depot is still run by Tesco themselves, not a transport and warehousing company :wink:

It’s kicking time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the worst RDC was Tesco again, this time at Middlewich, i arrived 1 hour early for my booking time, i was actually doing this job as a favour to a friend (i know, some friend :unamused: ), when i got there, i was told that the yard was “in lock down”, basically, nothing was going in, there was already too many vehicles in the yard, i sat there for nearly 2 hours waiting at the gate before i was let in, went in, parked in a parking bay, walked over to the goods in office, handed over the notes only to be told “you’re gonna have to wait drive, you’re late!”

to say that i was not amused, would be a slight understatement :open_mouth:

that particular goods in clerk came very close to finding out if he would actually fit through the little window that they used to have there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i sort of have to defend the middlewich depot cos i get sent there all the time, its a mad rushed out place and they carnt really cope with whats going on, every driver there goes the office and just gets there free fix of coffee out the machine, i undertstand your argument but they just dont have the staff on the desk to cope, and the coffee and kettle did taste a bit strange but went down all the same :laughing:

Dustylfc, the quote was for the cup of TEA with proper COFFEE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the argument about Middlewich was more to the point of they were not interested in what time i actually arrived at the gatehouse, more the time i got to goods in, by that time, it was nearly an hour late for the booking, this was down to Tesco’s warehouse staff (DHL or whoever it might have been at that time) being a lazy bunch of workshy tossers.

if they had been doing their job properly, they would not have caused the backlog and all the excess vehicles in the yard resulting in the lock down :unamused:

from what i have noticed by going to the various RDC’s is, if it is run by the company staff, they tend to be the better ones, if it is run by a T&D company, they tend to be a right bunch of no hopers (the things i would like to put will not make it past the auto censor :cry: )

I think that Nisa Scunthorpe certainly deservessome praise here. Goods in staff are very friendly and you can sit in your cab whilst being tipped. facilities for drivers are exceptional too.

shuttlespanker:
Dustylfc, the quote was for the cup of TEA with proper COFFEE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the argument about Middlewich was more to the point of they were not interested in what time i actually arrived at the gatehouse, more the time i got to goods in, by that time, it was nearly an hour late for the booking, this was down to Tesco’s warehouse staff (DHL or whoever it might have been at that time) being a lazy bunch of workshy tossers.

if they had been doing their job properly, they would not have caused the backlog and all the excess vehicles in the yard resulting in the lock down :unamused:

from what i have noticed by going to the various RDC’s is, if it is run by the company staff, they tend to be the better ones, if it is run by a T&D company, they tend to be a right bunch of no hopers (the things i would like to put will not make it past the auto censor :cry: )

yer thats true about the gate, they should book you in from there and not try and find your way to the drivers office, i think its because most tesco have tried to cut down on staff and have this card system for drivers they swipe in and out but i think they have forgot to tender for other drivers, when i go there i just go round the back park up and head for office or ask one of the shunters they usually helpful to be honest if i ever return cages i just dumnp the trailer in one of the bays round back and go office for next job,

my worst place for waiting was britvic leeds got there 7;30 got tipped 11;00, they only have 5 bays and i was second to be done, you no the score when you try and make conversation with the flt driver and he looks right through you and at that moment you woulod love to chin him :smiling_imp:

Argos Bridgwater, 8 1/2 hours to tip 5 pallets of identical stock :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the good news was, i got BFL as i came out :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I have to say that the experiance of tipping in an RDC can be easy or downright stressful and a major factor is the attitude of the staff on the site at the time .

The first point of contact is the security guard , all he/she has to do is glean a limited amount of information from you and direct you on to the site. If this encounter is one leaving you wondering whether you really do murder prostitutes (JEZZA!) , then the driver is immeadiatly put on the offensive . A little politeness goes a long way , and that works both ways :wink: . I’ve also found it a huge help for said security operative to be able to communicate in English ( Fenny Lock , in my experiance )

Goods-in staff , same thing , all it takes is a civil greeting and direction and you have a driver who is booked and ready to follow procedures. However , it seems it’s ok at some RDC’s to totally ignore someone stood in front of you and/or ■■■■■■ paperwork and grunt at them. Does this happen in any other workplace ■■ Some of the things Ive seen and heard in a goods - in office beggar belief , and if drivers were spoken to in such a manner in the Red Lion on a Saturday night , claret would be spilt :laughing: :laughing: Why staff feel it’s ok to conduct themselves in such a manner only when working in an RDC is beyond me. I’m in the building and construction sector now and have never heard any of that kind of crap.

The biggest bug-bear of all is the banning from cabs , which is well documented on here . there are measures out there to prevent drive off’s , RDC’S need to use them . A driver will be ■■■■■■ off with a four hr wait in his cab (or not ) , but he can eat , sleep , read , watch tv/dvd etc etc , in his own environment . A driver will be A LOT MORE ■■■■■■■ off with a four hr wait in a small poxy dirty room, paying for crap coffee and watching crap tv , and having to sit in the same room as the best driver in the world that “don’t need to drive , just doing this as a favour for a mate” !! :unamused:

I’m no longer delivering to these places and can honestly say I’ve not had a row with anyone at any delivery point in over 5 yrs. The customer is always pleased to see me . Just like the old days eh ■■

Always found Walkers @ Leicester good , drop tralier 6 ft off bay door , park unit and full use of the facilities

Tesco @ Strood , absolute nightmare , only one truck tipped at a time , if there’s 20 in the queue tough , sod your booking time. Spent 8 hrs there once and pulled off site still loaded :imp: :imp: ( is this hole closed now? )

Attitude and a little respect from BOTH parties … tis the future :grimacing:

Wilkinsons smashing breakfast for a few quid,and they even let drivers in there.What ever next.

praise indeed… ikea at thrapston . arrived 12 hrs early (20.00) went to security wont get tipped till morning (0800) . ok says i where is the best place to park up round here . no probs drive you can park up on site and behind you are the toilets/showers (spotless) and coffee m/c and the canteen opens at 8 in the morning (subsidised) ok for you to use. and to top it all he said if you want a pint in the village my mate here is just going off shift and im sure he will drop you off, its when you experience times like this you know youve got the best job in the world . also showered,tipped and fed by 09.20. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Praise Ambient based on full loads

Asda Grangemouth: Nice quick tip when you get shouted, never more than 5-6 wagons, they seem to have a good handle on book in times. Fork lift drivers are pleasant enough and fairly quick. All spaces are marked with no real difficult reversing. Lines are checked off inside 20-30 minutes and you can sit in your cab while waiting. In and out around 1 - 2 hours.

Spar Scotland: Also a quick tip if you don’t have a load that needs broke down. Lines around 20 - 30 minutes. Again nice big open yard no problems reversing. You can also sit in your cab. Queues can be quite extensive on occasions, they don’t seem to bother or have a policy on booking in times as often a lot of wagons turn up all at once and its first come first serve. Staff canteen welcomes drivers (decent grub at decent prices). Staff shop also welcomes drivers where you can pick up a bargain :smiley: In and out anywhere between 1 hour and yes 6 hours - only happened the once. Average around 2.5 hours.

3663 Edinburgh: A great wee tip, although can have its bad days. Tipping and checking about 1 hour. Nice big yard with plenty of spaces to park up. Only really strict on booking in times when they are busy. You can sit in your cab. Staff canteen welcomes drivers (not tried yet). Goods in staff seem to have drivers brains and don’t rip the pish and try get you away. In and out 1-3 hours.

I’ll do my shame later which includes morrisons bellshill (extensive list :grimacing: )

Praise today goes to co-op at Coventry. 5395 cases, 26 different products. In and out in 1 hour.

another shame, Sainsbury’s London Colney, sat on a bay for 5 (yes, five) hours because they wanted me to split a pallet down.

thing was, this pallet they expected me to split down had 3 (yes, three) boxes on, all different lines, but only 3 boxes, 1 of each line, all on a Chep blue pallet

Tesco middlesbrough had a driver in there for 9 hours , New coop birtley was 5 hours average when first opened but in and out in an hour last two visits , asda washington normally spot on too , anyone done Blacks at Northampton ■■ , the list of rules involved with deliveries is unbelieveable .

Cosco at Lutterworth…spot on. They have a hatch to the cafe/restaurant next to the drivers waiting room. In, on the bay, papers in, cup o’ tea and a bacon butty, notes back and off ya pop !!!
Any Turner Davies depot i’ve been to, spot on. Pleasant, shower facilities, they understand booking/waiting times and/or delays, they don’t take your keys either.They let you know whats happening.
I’ve never ever been to a good supermarket distribution depot.

Shame

Crown Crest on Cobden street Leicester :imp:

Apart from waiting about 2 hours to get through the gate, they have you open curtains and remove all boards then walk to goods in, wait for another hour while the bloke with a sore head looks up :open_mouth:

Then it took another 2 hours to lift 22 pallets of tinned veg off. good job it wasnt busy and the only other driver who was a regular showed me where the disgusting toilets were.

best ; tesco @ chepstow , few years back mind , got on the bay , paper work in no sooner gone loo paperwork ready sorted , trailer empty & ready to go ! what was all that about ? i was expecting a long wait, everyone was happy & friendlyish no rush or major drama in , done , gone !

worst; tesco @ perfleet nobody bothered if you’r early or late , just wait yer turn & dont complain as they really don’t care either way , found this attitude from gatehouse to paper shufflers , mind you maybe being in a eddie sherbert unit wasn’t helping my cause :neutral_face: well that & i don’t talk cockerney, being from somerset , i couldn’t understand a word they said , i bet me saying whasay ? after everytime they spoke narked them off even more :neutral_face: