Microwave oven install

Hello. I’m starting a new tramping job next week and the one thing I’d like is a microwave oven. After my induction I’ll be in the same 18t truck each week. I’ve been tramping on and off for almost 2 years but never been assigned the same vehicle. I don’t want to rely on fast food or sandwiches anymore. Any help is really appreciated in terms of installing one assuming my new employer is fine with it (I’ve only met him once but he seems a very calm and reasonable person). If they are fine with it, I’d like to heat up nice food to consume. All advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, congrats on the new job and I hope it goes well.

As an operator, I would prefer to install the likes of microwaves in the workshop. If you do it yourself and something later goes wrong, it will cause bad feeling at best. So maybe smile sweetly and see what can be done. It’s not unreasonable and you say he seems ok.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete. They have their own workshop on-site so once I’m established I’ll bring it up with the TM. I’ve seen the truck but not been inside. Assuming there is space for one I’d like it. There’s only so much fast food or sandwiches I can take. Given the current situation options are limited so if I could have a lo-cal ping meal it’d be an nice alternative.

I wish micro waves were around when I was driving! Must make life so much better and cheaper. Actually, a bit of progress that really works!

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You might have a bit more luck with replies on the main forum. At least drivers could tell you what inverter they have and how easy it was to install. The inverters aren’t particularly cheap and I think you need a pure sine one or something like that for the microwave to work properly. I wouldn’t know where to start routing the cables from the battery to wherever you are putting the microwave. The inverter will need somewhere too I guess.

Noremac:
You might have a bit more luck with replies on the main forum.

As if by magic … :smiley:

By all means go for a microwave but don’t forget other options either.

I’ve got a camping stove that I use for pasta/sauces. In the summer I’ll grab a disposable bbq and knock something up on that. Also don’t become a hermit, eat out in a pub (when allowed) from time to time.

toonsy:

I’ve got a camping stove that I use for pasta/sauces. In the summer I’ll grab a disposable bbq and knock something up on that. Also don’t become a hermit, eat out in a pub (when allowed) from time to time.

Wasn’t there a thread earlier showing what happens if you place a disposable bbq on top of an aluminium fuel tank?

Franglais:

toonsy:

Wasn’t there a thread earlier showing what happens if you place a disposable bbq on top of an aluminium fuel tank?

Erm I think you’ll find i have the continental table and deck chair option thank you very much. My tanka are too shiny to put a BBQ on them :laughing:

toonsy:

Franglais:

toonsy:

Erm I think you’ll find i have the continental table and deck chair option thank you very much. My tanka are too shiny to put a BBQ on them [emoji38]

Good move! [emoji3]

I don’t think the plastic fuel lines on top of tanks stand up to red hot charcoal too well either!

As it’s a rigid you have the same goods chassis all the time, you could get the workshop to fit a chassis box on the left-hand side (presumably you’re running UK).

Then you’ve loads of room for chairs, picnic table, stove, food etc. even fridge/freezer - You Can ‘Live the Dream’

I have eaten out at times but if I park up late or somewhere slightly remote it isn’t always an option plus I don’t necessarily want to. I’m a happy hermit! Have used a disposable BBQ a few times but not this time of year. With a microwave I can take a couple of meals I’ve cooked on a Sunday and take them with me and just grab more in the week. I don’t pretend to know how to install a microwave in a truck but I’m sure one of the technicians has probably done it before or I’ll provide them with the necessary info. Thanks all

I have eaten out at times but if I park up late or somewhere slightly remote it isn’t always an option plus I don’t necessarily want to. I’m a happy hermit! Have used a disposable BBQ a few times but not this time of year. With a microwave I can take a couple of meals I’ve cooked on a Sunday and take them with me and just grab more in the week. I don’t pretend to know how to install a microwave in a truck but I’m sure one of the technicians has probably done it before or I’ll provide them with the necessary info. Thanks all

You will need a very powerful pure sine wave inverter connected directly to the batteries. I bought a 1500w jobbie off amazon a few years ago when I was at my previous job because somebody gave me a cheap Asda special microwave…it wouldn’t work!
My current employer paid a lot of money to have one fitted by an auto electrician into ‘my’ current truck when it was new.
It’s liberating! I’d hate to go back to tramping without it now.
Good luck.

nomiS36:
You will need a very powerful pure sine wave inverter connected directly to the batteries. I bought a 1500w jobbie off amazon a few years ago when I was at my previous job because somebody gave me a cheap Asda special microwave…it wouldn’t work!
My current employer paid a lot of money to have one fitted by an auto electrician into ‘my’ current truck when it was new.
It’s liberating! I’d hate to go back to tramping without it now.
Good luck.

My Amazon 3kw one , had it 4 years 4 trucks still going strong

Sent from my truck

This is my 3000w inverter, that I bought very reasonably from a very nice man :smiley: , off here a couple of years ago.
Does everything I need, microwave, kettle, tv,.chargers and whatever else.

Just as a stop gap whilst you decide on the microwave, try one of the heated lunch boxes off amazon. They’re around the £20 mark and are pretty decent, admittedly takes a couple of hours to warm food up, but ok with a bit of planning. Plus runs off std 12/24v sockets in the cab

the microwave of choice by many drivers, & the caravan community is the 240v Daewoo QT-1, as it`s compact enough to fit in a top locker, yet big enough to accommodate a full size plate