A New Venture

Hello everyone, I am currently a 25 year old class 1 driver working for smurfit kappa.

I have recently got a 2020 mercedes actros MP5, (With the silly mirrors[emoji23]) and its just a plain white one and have been looking for ways to ‘tart it up’ without going to over the top as our lorries are now leased and we aren’t allowed to put light bars or anything on them,

Long story short I have been making stainless steel bars (without lights) fully polished and was wondering if there was a market for this sort of thing as I only work 9 hour days and have plenty of spare time, I have made a chassis bar at the moment, currently making side bars and a bumper bar.

Is there is a market for this sort of thing or if anyone is looking for anything similar feel free to give me a message as really seem to enjoy it along side the driving.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Very smart, need lights in them to sell. And you might need to expand the range to include Chickens and ovlovs, and dafodils.

There’ll always be a market for bling Dean, and a ready supply of volunteers to hand over their hard earned. Not my cup of Earl Grey tbh but if it floats your boat and puts money in your pocket then why not? Good luck.

biggriffin:
Very smart, need lights in them to sell. And you might need to expand the range to include Chickens and ovlovs, and dafodils.

Thank you, yeah I have made 1 for each side as well to sit under the fuel tank and the exhaust just got to fit them them got front bumper to do, I have been looking into doing the lights and it will look much nicer, just got to persuade the boss [emoji23]

Bit of scaffold tube bolted to the chassis very nice

robthedog:
Bit of scaffold tube bolted to the chassis very nice

I wish it was would probably be the cheaper option to be honest [emoji23]

Very nice. What’s it for?

ETS:
Very nice. What’s it for?

That one is just for show really it will have lights on soon but its just to break up the dullness at the baxk with everything being black, I’ve seen a few scanias with them on and just quite liked the shine on the back but the other ones I’m doing will be for protection

It’s going to take more than a bit of shiny bling to make a chooks foot acceptable. :laughing:

Apart from the fact that in my opinion “drivers” who think that fitting shiny things to a truck somehow makes them look important, it’s attention seeking, I thought that boys got over that when mummy decided you could have your 1st pair of long trousers.
The vehicle in the picture would certainly fail an M.O.T. As it has sharp edges, it also looks tacky.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Apart from the fact that in my opinion “drivers” who think that fitting shiny things to a truck somehow makes them look important, it’s attention seeking, I thought that boys got over that when mummy decided you could have your 1st pair of long trousers.
The vehicle in the picture would certainly fail an M.O.T. As it has sharp edges, it also looks tacky.

On one hand I tend to agree with you, if the boss wants to buy such stuff for his truck, then I’ll gladly accept it, otherwise I wouldn’t bother personally, only stuff I’ll buy is in cab comforts for the benefits of tramping, and in cab living…ie stuff for ME not my boss.
However.

On the other hand,.and from this lad’s point of view, there are always guys out there daft enough to spend their hard earned on raising the profile of somebody’s truck, so it’s supply and demand, and a niche in the market, …
That’s what entrepuneurism is all about. :bulb:

Also if he develops and sells this stuff at the right price competitively, he could be competing with the likes of Kelsa in a few years time, …with the added bonus of getting to ■■■■ out of this business. :smiley: …so for him what’s not to like?
Good luck to him I say.

I appreciate everyone’s comments, I understand that it’s not everyone’s taste but that’s not the only one I will be making there are plenty more to come I purely did that because I had a bit of tube in the shed and it was to short for every where else

I would like to know if there is anything that I could do to this particular bar to made it more appealing to people, I will be putting lights on it over the next week and I have to caps to go in the ends as well but if there is anything else feel free to share

Thamks everyone

Deanp1995:
I appreciate everyone’s comments, I understand that it’s not everyone’s taste but that’s not the only one I will be making there are plenty more to come I purely did that because I had a bit of tube in the shed and it was to short for every where else

I would like to know if there is anything that I could do to this particular bar to made it more appealing to people, I will be putting lights on it over the next week and I have to caps to go in the ends as well but if there is anything else feel free to share

Thamks everyone

Chat to the guys in the engineering dept at Smurfit, get them to tig weld the end caps on after you’ve installed the lights. Use the right kind of stainless too. Tig welding if done well can leave some good colouration on the weld and some people like that. If you clean the weld don’t use a steel wire brush as it will cause rust marks to appear.