Company reviews on Indeed - Norfolk

Hi all,
I’m about to start my training with a view to doing C then C+E as soon as possible. I’ve been looking on Indeed job website to see who would hire a new passed driver in Norfolk. There aren’t that many by the looks of things but what did strike me is the amount of poor reviews on there for local companies. Are these views to be taken with a pinch of salt as it’s usually someone with an axe to grind or is it truly reflective?
The reviews are generally stating long hours, poor pay and old trucks etc.
I know that Norfolk isn’t exactly a hot bed for haulage companies but surely there not all bad?
I’ve been looking so that I can get an insight to what’s generally available as I’m open minded about what work I’d do, be it days, nights or tramping. Feedback would be most welcome.
Thanks

You can’t really trust any review sites tbh whether they be about jobs or about products. The most negative tend to be either someone with, as you say, an axe to grind or its nkt up to their expectations but you get loads of dramatic effect thrown in for good measure.

Before you hand over the ackers have a read of this thread and a few others on the same theme, which make clear that unless you are fortunate then the typical industry job IS long hours for poor pay her hour and poor terms and conditions both of contract and reality on the road. There are good jobs out there but you will be very lucky to find one quickly and avoid the later inevitable corporate take over which then changes everything.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167072

As a ex Norfolk lad, i found the problem is most of the work is agriculture or dock work, which are poor rates so the wages are not good and the hours are long to make the truck pay. Also it depends which side of Norfolk you live, the further north east of the county the harder it is to find work.

I moved away to the east midlands due to i have packed up running my own and at the time (2000) the work offered in the area was very poor. Don’t get put off passing your test i still think it was well worth while doing it, but you may have to take any poor job to gain experience but a decent job will come along, or do what i did move into a area where you can still pick your job.

Save your training money and spend it on fine whiskey, and cheap whores

Pretty much any of the local skip/waste /tipper firms will give you a start as long as you turn up
Dave

Never rely on. Reviews for anything.

People are quick to post negative reviews. But not as quick to leave positive ones.
Everybody is different.
Just because someone likes it doesn’t mean you will.

Have never worked for. Them. But stobarts get a bad reputation on here. People say they hate it and avoid. Yet there are people working there that like it.
Each to there own. Just go with. You gut feeling

Jobs totally forked mate.
Rife with cheap migrant labour.

Alright for them,they’ll fork off back to their homeland,once they’ve reefed a few quid together.
Meanwhile…we’ll have to work till we drop,coz our retirement pots won’t buy ■■■■ all.

If you’re up for competing with Johnny foreigner…go for it.
If you don’t relish the idea of driving all night,then kipping in a lorry during the day for £120.
Save your dough.

peirre:

The other way round ,surely :smiley: :smiley:

Socketset:

peirre:

The other way round ,surely :smiley: :smiley:

Whiskey becomes more refined and desirable the older it gets, besides cheap whiskey tastes like [zb]

The companies on Indeed, by the fact they are on a jobs site, are the ones the need to advertise for drivers, therefore probably not the best in the area, but also you’re going to see the bad reviews as people are less likely to bother writing average or good ones. Pay and conditions in Norfolk have never been good for most industries really, especilly if you’re in the wilds of North Norfolk.

I wouldn’t say Norfolk not a hot bed of haulage, just most of the companies are quite small less than 10 trucks and get drivers by word or mouth or through things like facebook, although its always worth knocking on the office door and asking, you never know.

What part of Norfolk are you in and what type of work do you want? As that wuld make a difference, little point in communting from Cromer to Diss for day work.

muckles:
The companies on Indeed, by the fact they are on a jobs site, are the ones the need to advertise for drivers, therefore probably not the best in the area, but also you’re going to see the bad reviews as people are less likely to bother writing average or good ones. Pay and conditions in Norfolk have never been good for most industries really, especilly if you’re in the wilds of North Norfolk.

I wouldn’t say Norfolk not a hot bed of haulage, just most of the companies are quite small less than 10 trucks and get drivers by word or mouth or through things like facebook, although its always worth knocking on the office door and asking, you never know.

What part of Norfolk are you in and what type of work do you want? As that wuld make a difference, little point in communting from Cromer to Diss for day work.

I’m in Norwich, don’t mind days, nights or tramping

Bear in mind that the industry is being subjected on all sides to an ongoing policy of reduction in miles travelled.The truth is it’s an anti road transport regime here.

Which means lots of short haul distribution type operations and even trunking is usually now just a trundle to the hub.Where if you’re lucky you’ll be left alone for a few hours if not you’ll be expected to work in the warehouse transhipping loads possibly all handball.

With a C you’ll probably follow the usual agency local building or retail type delivery work route into the job.

As for C + E all bets are off regarding potential opportunities or non opportunities and it’s always been a lottery for new drivers in that regard even in the best of times.

It strikes me those drivers who write those reviews are the type you see complaining about their lot everywhere you go, but never do anything about it, they get to work for the hauliers they deserve and the haulage companies get the drivers they deserve.

There are some operators that’ll take new passes, I’ve seen some advertise in the last few weeks, these are companies not agencies, they’ll not be the best, but its a foot in the door and a chance to get experience and find better out there. However sadly the industry is one of long hours, poor pay and has been for many years, drivers aren’t totally without blame for this and because of that it won’t change.

I don’t have a problem with the old trucks if they’ve been looked after, but the problem is the abused trucks, again this is often a problem with those operators with a high turnover of drivers.

As for not bothering with an HGV Licence, well depends on what else you could do and what you make of the job. you need to go into the industry knowing its not great, there are plenty of really crap jobs and very few decent ones, but you’ll need to keep your ears and eyes open to get them, also what is a decent job with a good employer for one person, is a crap job for another.

As far as I’m concerned getting mine was a good move overall and having left full-time employment at the end of last year, this year was a bit of a blow to my plans of doing my normal job part-time, but having an HGV licence has given me more than enough work and kept me financially comfortable, which is a relief considering I know people who’ve been hit hard by this years chaos.

If you are at Norwich then give Rory Holbrook a ring. It’s tippers but he also does airport runway tarmac work that pays about £180 for about 8 hours of night work.

msgyorkie:
If you are at Norwich then give Rory Holbrook a ring. It’s tippers but he also does airport runway tarmac work that pays about £180 for about 8 hours of night work.

Thank you

Jack Richards in Fakenham or Norwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankspencer:

I emailed them, unfortunately they don’t take on new pass drivers, you have to have a minimum of 1 years experience.

Really? I thought they would’ve done. Hassle them!

Wrightrunner:

frankspencer:

I emailed them, unfortunately they don’t take on new pass drivers, you have to have a minimum of 1 years experience.

This might interest you

mrct.co.uk/hgv-driving-jobs … w-drivers/

If rumours are true the pay might be a bit of a shock though, but if they’re true to their word (big if) at least you won’t get thrown in the deep end like you do on an agency.