Can you clarify the packing and sizes please

OwenMoney:
Can you clarify the packing and sizes please

UN3077 ADR pyrithione zinc in 7x 380kg 4g fiberboard boxes = 2.66t

:wink:

7 pallets with 380kg on each
4g fibre board packaging

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your company took on the job, they will ,(should) have a designated person who knows this, and who will explain it all to you.

Ask him.

Written correctly, you’re carrying:

UN 3077 ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE, SOLID, N.O.S. (pyrithione zinc), 9, PGIII

From the description of the packages, it’s packed as Limited Quantity (LQ) as the LQ size for this substance is a maximum of 5Kg per box.

Now we know this, there is NO amount of this UN number packaged in this way that would require an ADR Card or orange plates etc, but the driver would need to have had some documented ADR ‘awareness’ training.

====================
However, IF this UN number were packaged in a different way, EG 200Kg clip-top drums or 1,000Kg IBCs, then the vehicle load limit exemption amount would be 1,000Kg (WHEN NOT PACKAGED AS LQ.)

In this case, the driver would need to have had some documented ADR ‘awareness’ training and there’d need to be an ADR compliant 2Kg dry powder fire extinguisher on board the vehicle.

Once there’s more than 1,000Kg of this substance to be carried, ALL the applicable rules in ADR would apply in full because it would be a fully ‘regulated’ load.

:bulb: For the stated amounts, this question is a great way of seeing the difference between the way of carrying LQs versus the way of carrying the same substance when NOT packaged as LQs so then we’d use the small load rules instead of the LQ rules.

Thanks all
Driver told office to do one and refused to take it
Now getting silent treatment from them

blue estate:
Thanks all
Driver told office to do one and refused to take it
Now getting silent treatment from them

If the driver was told by his boss that he could take that load, then the responsibility for the accuracy of the instruction rests with the Carrier. This means the owner of the vehicle, (for whom an employed driver works) takes any flack from the enforcement authorities.

:bulb: It is NOT an employed driver’s responsibility to decide whether a load is subject to ADR.

If an employed driver needs this in black and white, then here’s what ADR has to say on this subject:

ADR 2019 1.4.2.2 … the carrier shall in particular … Ascertain that the dangerous goods to be carried are authorized for carriage in accordance with ADR

This makes the Carrier responsible for any instruction he gives to his driver regarding the legality of the job, except when the Consignor ( = sender) has told the Carrier any porkies, for which the sender will remain responsible.

:bulb: An employed driver has very little to fear from ADR. :smiley: