ADR Question .... Fireworks (1.4G)

Hello All :grimacing: ,

Just been talking to a work mate about carrying pallets of class 1.4G fireworks, im a bit confused now and i hope someone can clear it up (diesel dave if your out there). i know that you can carry up to 500kg before displaying plates etc, but what happens when if say i pick up an ibc of say class 8 which is over the threshold and automatically brings me into scope of adr, does that mean the fire works would come under adr regs with the class 8 because i thought that once your under adr regs, everything on the wagon which is chemical, comes under adr as wellā– ā– ? is this rightā– ā– ?

Because each individual item for t he 1.4 is under the threshold it doesnā€™t count for ADR - just IMDG if its an over the water import - but if the class 8 is within scope for ADR its the only item which counts
Its very confusing though even to those of us who are experienced

This should settle a few arguments in the yard tomorrow I think :slight_smile: It has been rather confusing though and not really explained very well by our employer!

jayuk22:
Hello All :grimacing: ,

Just been talking to a work mate about carrying pallets of class 1.4G fireworks, im a bit confused now and i hope someone can clear it up (diesel dave if your out there). i know that you can carry up to 500kg before displaying plates etc, ā€¦

Hi jayuk22,
Youā€™re OK so far, cos for UK domestic carriage 1.4G is in Transport Category 2A and the ā€˜freebieā€™ is 500Kg N.E.M. (Or N.E.Q.) [N.E.M and N.E.Q. both mean the same thing.]
N.E.M. = Nett Explosive Mass
N.E.Q. = Nett Explosive Quantity

To calculate the N.E.M., we ignore the gross weights written on the boxes, then simply add all the N.E.M. figures together, which must ALSO be written on the boxes. 500kg N.E.M. is excluding the weight of boxes, wrappings and pallets etc, because only the weight of the actual explosive material counts.

jayuk22:
ā€¦ but what happens when if say i pick up an ibc of say class 8 which is over the threshold and automatically brings me into scope of adr, does that mean the fire works would come under adr regs with the class 8 because i thought that once your under adr regs, everything on the wagon which is chemical, comes under adr as wellā– ā– ? is this rightā– ā– ?

Before thinking too deeply about the second part of your question, I think itā€™s possible that somebody has forgotten to tell you that you canā€™t carry Class 8 on the same vehicle as 1.4G, so thereā€™s not really any discussion to be had.
Thereā€™s a mixed loading prohibition that affects which UN Classes can be carried together on the same vehicle at ADR 7.5.2.1, and even carrying less than the relevant Transport Category limits for both the Class 8 and the 1.4G still does NOT provide an exemption from the prohibition.

gm:
Because each individual item for t he 1.4 is under the threshold it doesnā€™t count for ADR -

Hi gm,

For articles of UN Class 1, ADR looks at the total (expressed in N.E.M.) loaded on the vehicle, so the individual item size isnā€™t relevant.

gm:
ā€¦ just IMDG if its an over the water import -

Agreed, but since IMDG isnā€™t valid by road, it wouldnā€™t affect the OPā€™s question.

gm:
but if the class 8 is within scope for ADR its the only item which counts

True enough if the Class 8 were the only dangerous goods on the vehicle, but because of the mixed-loading prohibition, Class 8 canā€™t be carried together on the same vehicle as 1.4G

gm:
Its very confusing though even to those of us who are experienced

Agreed mate, but IMHO the trick with ADR is to know how the different parts of the books relate to each other, then itā€™s not so bad.

Daveā€™s ADR triviaā€¦
:bulb: Class 8 can be carried together with fireworks of 1.4S, then only the Class 8 would count.

As a side issue, itā€™s suprising that you can carry up to 500kg of the stuff before markings. Surely even that much in a confined place would cause one hell of an explosion?

bazza123:
As a side issue, itā€™s suprising that you can carry up to 500kg of the stuff before markings. Surely even that much in a confined place would cause one hell of an explosion?

Hi bazza123,

Yes mate, I can see how youā€™d think that, but division 1.4 is actually the least dangerous of the six divisions of UN Class 1.

Hereā€™s a little table Iā€™ve made to show the divisions of UN Class 1 in a descending order of danger:

Descending level of danger.jpg

Strange, but true. :smiley:

not fireworks but hope dieseldave can shed some light on this.
i do security in iraq visiting de gassing oil plants n come across various substances, so i read the info in prep for workin with class 1 back in UK.

280kg plastic drum, OSW80490 Oxygen Scavenger, orange label with black X on it, quote "This preparation is not classified as dangerous according to international transport regulations (ADR/RID or ICAO/IATA). "
underneath the orange label it says, ā€œharmful if inhaled, wash off immediatly in contact with skin, rinse eyes with water and seek advice, harmful to water sourcesā€.

So how can it be not classed as dangerous? and its come from Liverpool!!

wheelyb:
i do security in iraq visiting de gassing oil plants n come across various substances, so i read the info in prep for workin with class 1 back in UK.

280kg plastic drum, OSW80490 Oxygen Scavenger, orange label with black X on it, quote "This preparation is not classified as dangerous according to international transport regulations (ADR/RID or ICAO/IATA). "
underneath the orange label it says, ā€œharmful if inhaled, wash off immediatly in contact with skin, rinse eyes with water and seek advice, harmful to water sourcesā€.

Orange label with black X is what they use on flykiller, household bleach, tippex, and anything irritant etc.

I suppose Thrush would come under the same classification :laughing:

wheelyb:

Hi wheelyb,

Thereā€™s quite an important legal difference between the word ā€œhazardousā€ and the word "dangerous.

What youā€™ve said about the oxygen scavenger is spot-on in that itā€™s not classified as dangerous according to international transport regulations (ADR/RID or ICAO/IATA). "

Hazardous goods are required to be labelled with orange squares, such as the one you saw:

harmful.gif
The regulations governing that are to do with what measures are necessary when people use the stuff or when itā€™s exposed to atmosphere.
If a substance or article has (only) an orange square, then itā€™s not usually regarded as ā€œdangerousā€ for transport and anybody can carry it in any amount.

On the other hand, dangerous goods which are to be transported have to be marked with diamonds, which is when ADR takes an interest in them.
The difference between ā€œhazardousā€ and ā€œdangerousā€ is usually best thought of in terms of how concentrated something is. Malc has given some very good examples. :smiley:

Iā€™ll add another, known as the bottled (bleached) blonde.
The stuff that the hairdresser uses is hydrogen peroxide, which in the form used at the hairdresserā€™s needs an orange square to show that it is ā€˜hazardous.ā€™ If youā€™ve ever breathed those fumes, youā€™ll know why. :wink:

In its concentrated form, it counts as dangerous goods and would be shown on paperwork like this:

UN 2984 HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, AQUEOUS SOLUTION, 5.1, PG III

ā€¦ and this dangerous goods label would be on the packages:

ahhhhhhh that clears that up then, now i see it makes sense. You learn somat everyday, cheers fellas