Containers on flat beds

Hi guys, just a quick question seen a lot of containers on flat beds this week and just asking how can ratchet straps be enough to hold them in place especially if their are loaded? I drive a car transporter and use 4 straps per vehicle sometimes 6 if a big van or heavy, so how come you can have a 40ft container on with just a few straps thrown over to hold it in place? Always get me thinking htf? I know some flats have locking pins for this reason but I’m on about the ones that don’t or low loaders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of flats have twistlocks built in.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:

If it were those type its hardly likely theyd use ratchet straps at all. I dont see the skelly containers lads using a couple of straps for good measure.

Op im not really sure. I often see them with just two straps. Usually smaller boxes ob rigids. The weight of the container mean its not going to move unless something horrific happens id guess and they are just doing it as a tick box exercise. The straps are rated for much more than we give them credit for and id wager the wagon would go over before the load came off. Once it went over if box would stay on is a different story.

worldsbestdriver:

Munchkin:

If it were those type its hardly likely theyd use ratchet straps at all. I dont see the skelly containers lads using a couple of straps for good measure.

Op im not really sure. I often see them with just two straps. Usually smaller boxes ob rigids. The weight of the container mean its not going to move unless something horrific happens id guess and they are just doing it as a tick box exercise. The straps are rated for much more than we give them credit for and id wager the wagon would go over before the load came off. Once it went over if box would stay on is a different story.

Hmmmmm, you think a container on a flat wouldn’t move unless ‘something horrific happened’?!

And as chap said lots of flats have twist locks and it depends where they picked it up from obviously but no major container port I know of would even load you without twistlocks

worldsbestdriver:

Munchkin:

Are you saying the weight of a container will hold it in place?
So, heavier containers need less securing than lighter ones?

Strap`s rating is clearly marked on labels, and by the lines stitched into the webbing.

I bet your bookie sends you a card every Xmas

G79:
Hi guys, just a quick question seen a lot of containers on flat beds this week and just asking how can ratchet straps be enough to hold them in place especially if their are loaded? I drive a car transporter and use 4 straps per vehicle sometimes 6 if a big van or heavy, so how come you can have a 40ft container on with just a few straps thrown over to hold it in place? Always get me thinking htf? I know some flats have locking pins for this reason but I’m on about the ones that don’t or low loaders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An empty 20ft container is only about 2 tonnes and a 40 ft about 4 tonnes, well within the rating of most ratchet straps.

I’d just assume they’re empty and stop worrying.

worldsbestdriver:
The weight of the container mean its not going to move unless something horrific happens id guess and they are just doing it as a tick box exercise.

You need to change your username

switchlogic:

worldsbestdriver:

Munchkin:

Hmmmmm, you think a container on a flat wouldn’t move unless ‘something horrific happened’?!

And as chap said lots of flats have twist locks and it depends where they picked it up from obviously but no major container port I know of would even load you without twistlocks

Ive no idea. My experience of containers is limited to a few agency shifts years ago. Back theb wed drive them without doing the locks up either forward forward to do them up or around to the hut which checked the box and the seal. Never saw one come off like that or heard of it.

Cant see how its massively different to a pallet of pop. I often chose not to strap them if no internals in the trailer as the straps will just ruin the load. Never had one move or cause a problem. If driven properly i reckon i could get a container from a to b without it falling off.

Not being an expert on containers, I just assumed when a 20 ft box was on a flat it was a load that was to be broken down. The pallets would be put on the empty space at the back of the trailer, and they would unload it by hand on to the pallets. But asi said I was only guessing when I saw them.

When you see containers on a flat with straps over it’s usually because only 2 of the twist locks are usable/ line up .
I carry containers on my flat I put 2 straps over but use 4 ratchets then also diagonal on each end from top corner to opp on the side rail .

Pretty much as Dan says.
Also we move empty “containers” around (actually they are storage units) and max weight is 2 tonnes on a 20ft. So 2 x ratchet straps with a combined rating of 10 tonnes is more than enough.

Munchkin:

Which leaves the question why would anyone order a flat without that capabability.
But they do. :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing:

switchlogic:
but no major container port I know of would even load you without twistlocks

Hopefully telling them amateurs and cheapskates not welcome here.Come back with something suitable for the job. :wink:

Punchy Dan:
When you see containers on a flat with straps over it’s usually because only 2 of the twist locks are usable/ line up .

Let’s get this right order a flat body calling for 20 or 40 ft ISO twist lock capability but only two of them will actually line up and work. :confused:

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:

Let’s get this right order a flat body calling for 20 or 40 ft ISO twist lock capability but only two of them will actually line up and work. :confused:

Obviously you are commenting again on things you know nowt about :unamused:
So if a hiab lorry with a 24 ft body carries a 30 ft welfare cabin which is a common size but twist locks are set for a 20 ft then only the front ones are used . :wink:

My twist locks are set for 20ft but some of our storage containers are 21ft long. So front twist locks down and a single strap instead.
I do love clowns that comment on stuff they obviously don’t have a clue about.
And don’t get me started on our 12ft containers that we have.

Punchy Dan:
:

You could have just left it there Dan! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:

So if a hiab lorry with a 24 ft body carries a 30 ft welfare cabin which is a common size but twist locks are set for a 20 ft then only the front ones are used . :wink:

20’ and 40’ aren’t literally the only two sizes of ISO container it could also be 10 foot or 30 ft.Who would have thought it.How could we possibly deal with that situation.
Yep just fit it with enough locks for any one size and rope anything different that doesn’t line up with more than two of em.Sorted.

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:

Carryfast:

20’ and 40’ aren’t literally the only two sizes of ISO container it could also be 10 foot or 30 ft.Who would have thought it.How could we possibly deal with that situation.
Yep just fit it with enough locks for any one size and rope anything different that doesn’t line up with more than two of em.Sorted.

If you look on google you can see the c&s regs for rigid lorry lengths ,our 6 wheeler flats have 31 ft bodies that’s about max length so you can see that your not going to get a rigid with a crane on too that could have a body long enough for twist locks 30 ft apart other than built in to a pull out rear .id have thought a mon of your experience would know this already :laughing:

Carryfast:

Munchkin:

Which leaves the question why would anyone order a flat without that capabability.
But they do. :open_mouth: :confused: :laughing:

People would order flats without locks for decreased weight and less cost. Remember it is not just the cost/ weight of the locks but the steel beams to support them. The weight of a container is transmitted through the 4 corners only.