Flatbeds and Ratchet Straps

I’ve manage to scrounge some work at a local timber merchant driving their 12t flatbed for deliveries. On route to my first drop I started to micro analyse my use of the ratchet straps on my load. I had about 5tn of sawn timber on board, all loaded neat and square. Made sense to me to use 4 straps.

But then I clocked the artic in front of me, hauling those chuffing huge concrete rings used for forming chuffing big drainage pipes. Anyhow, the driver had used one strap per ring. Ok, they’re not going to leap of his flatbed, but one?!

Further over thinking things led me to mull over the pros and cons of where I had placed the ratchets. I put them all on the drivers side. Which, when I stopped to check the load half way into my journey, I figured wasn’t so wise as I was now close to all those cars being so expertly thrown around the road.

So on my next load, I put the ratchets on the nearside. But then I started to worry about how I’d secured the spare webbing material. Basically, I folded it and trapped it against the timber and the strap. It worked, but ever the worrier, I started to think about the risks of having loops of material (not going anywhere) close to the pavement (still not going anywhere) getting caught up on pedestrians and other stuff…

Seeing as I don’t have a curtain to hide all this stuff behind, what’s the consensus on which side to put the ratchet; what to do with the excess; and how many to use (governed by load, I know, but rule of thumb?)…■■

Ta.

Ratchet on drivers side , easier to see . And you don’t have to step out into the road to chuck the strap over.

Let the war begin…btw I was a tanker driver !

Always had ratchets on passenger side. Save getting squished when you check them or if unloading at the kerbside. I used to fold the spare strap up, loosen the ratchet a little then tuck the strap behind before tightening the ratchet again. Failing that, a big piece of wood, straps underneath it and strap that down!

Always on near side, no ■■■■■■■ way I’d get out and redo straps on a motorway with the way the general pub drive these days :open_mouth:
As for the excess I rolled up in a coil and tucked under the rachet against the bed so there’s no flapping it all looked neat and wasn’t going anywhere :sunglasses:
And just to add put as many straps as you like on its your load and ■■■■ anyone who has an issue with you being over cautious, better to have 1 too many then too few and be ringing the boss because the lot is on the floor :laughing:

Ratchets on the near side, spare rolled up and tucked behind the ratchet before you tighten fully.

As for 4 straps for a 5t pack of timber, I make you right, because timber is a very “live” load, so more straps the better.

Straps should always be alternated so that the straps are pulling against each other, just as we did with ropes and dollies, especially on a pack of timber or pipes.

As for how many, you can put too many on a million times, but you’ll only put not enough on once before you regret it.

I always loop the extra up and trap it against the chock rail, it will stay put there all the while the strap is tight.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

F-reds:
Ratchets on the near side, spare rolled up and tucked behind the ratchet before you tighten fully.

As for 4 straps for a 5t pack of timber, I make you right, because timber is a very “live” load, so more straps the better.

+1

msgyorkie:

F-reds:

+1

+2 I drive a curtain sider but still when I do timber I use more straps than other loads

Captain Caveman 76:
Always had ratchets on passenger side. Save getting squished when you check them or if unloading at the kerbside. I used to fold the spare strap up, loosen the ratchet a little then tuck the strap behind before tightening the ratchet again. Failing that, a big piece of wood, straps underneath it and strap that down!

I always have them on the nearside so I can’t see the bulges in the curtains.

Edit: Plus it’s no fun being near a live lane. On my regular run (last day yesterday, i’m glad because it was so boring) I’d park up then get in the passenger side and watch something on my laptop (with the cab curtains drawn :laughing:). Getting in and out of the driver’s side was a pain in the ■■■■. And that was in a lay-by set away from the road!

always used the near side like hell would I be standing near the live lane nowadays.

I always ran with front and back straps (per each timber bale), never had an issue.

Don’t forget to re-tighten the ratchets regularly when carrying timber, it is surprising how much it moves and settles in transit.

Fankoo all very much.

I recalled the bit about timber moving…my uncle used to drive HGV’s years ago and I went on a few timber trips with him…Good advice that from an uncle to a 10 yr old… :laughing:

Interestingly, on the first load when I checked after a few miles, one strap was a little slack. Tightened it so much the customer got a post which had three square sides and one strap shaped side… :grimacing:

Just one other ask … straps or strops?! My kids have the latter…but…

When we carry wood flooring, its a ■■■■■■■■ the front and rear of each pack even more so if they are stacked. If you just use one, they can “twist” and move about.

Sorry but I think people who stop on hard shoulders to tighten loose straps are nuts. Especially ones who wander round in lane one like they’re in the yard.

To the OP- I think you’re over thinking the situation!

el_presidente:
Just one other ask … straps or strops?! My kids have the latter…but…

Ratchet Straps for strapping down, Lifting Strops for lifting up, though I have never known why we don’t just call them straps. Just like why do we say 4 bee 2 rather than 4 by 2.
Dunno

If you were using simple ‘over strapping’ then try this calculation to find out how many straps for a 5000Kg load loaded away from the headboard.

5000 x 0.8 = 4000
5000 x 0.4 = 2000
4000 - 2000 = 2000

350 x 1.5 = 525
525 x 0.4 = 210

2000 / 210 = 9.5
9.5 x 1.25 = 11.87

Total 12 straps

The above is a simplified version of the BSEN 12195-1:2010 lashing calculation.

If we allowed for 2 ratchets per webbing (one each side which would be the ideal) it’d only be 9 straps.

As for storing the tail end of the strap - if you store it as you described, trapped behind the strap, this can cause a drop in tension during transit.

Of course I’m going to get told this is a load of crap but if anyone wants any of the numbers above explaining - just ask :wink:

shep532:
If you were using simple ‘over strapping’ then try this calculation to find out how many straps for a 5000Kg load loaded away from the headboard.

5000 x 0.8 = 4000
5000 x 0.4 = 2000
4000 - 2000 = 2000

350 x 1.5 = 525
525 x 0.4 = 210

2000 / 210 = 9.5
9.5 x 1.25 = 11.87

Total 12 straps

The above is a simplified version of the BSEN 12195-1:2010 lashing calculation.

If we allowed for 2 ratchets per webbing (one each side which would be the ideal) it’d only be 9 straps.

As for storing the tail end of the strap - if you store it as you described, trapped behind the strap, this can cause a drop in tension during transit.

Of course I’m going to get told this is a load of crap but if anyone wants any of the numbers above explaining - just ask :wink:

Thanks Shep. I’ll look it up. Looks quite complicated but I’m sure it’s not…

As for stopping or getting out, never unless it was safe.

You can use a spare length of 2x2 as a lever to get the ratchets a bit tighter. :bulb:

axletramp:
You can use a spare length of 2x2 as a lever to get the ratchets a bit tighter. :bulb:

I’m sure the ratchet manufacturers wouldn’t agree :wink:

axletramp:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Don’t think that’s a good idea really, they’re not designed for that! Unless you have no muscle :smiling_imp: