Is this safe?

Heading down the M40 today and passed a shed of a volvo 26tonner flatbed carrying portakabin type things. They were ‘secured’ with ratchet straps… frayed and knackered ones at that! SURELY this is not safe, how on earth can a [zb]ing ratchet strap hold those beasts? Thought they were supposed to be secured with them twistlocks or whatever. I wouldn’t dare!

If the cabins have twist locks then yes but some cabins do
not have these, so Straps and chains and Anti-Skid–Matting
are used, Ratchet straps when used must be in good working
order,Not frayed , worn,ripped, or missing the sign at the
end which shows the quality seal and working strength ,

The truck body didn’t seem to have any twist lock ‘holes’ on it and the cabins were narrower than the truck anyhow. I would’ve thought you’d need chains on something like that. I wouldn’t trust a ■■■■■■■■ a dirty great steel cabin, never mind a shagged one!

chris_89:
Heading down the M40 today and passed a shed of a volvo 26tonner flatbed carrying portakabin type things. They were ‘secured’ with ratchet straps… frayed and knackered ones at that! SURELY this is not safe, how on earth can a [zb]ing ratchet strap hold those beasts? Thought they were supposed to be secured with them twistlocks or whatever. I wouldn’t dare!

I have carried them strapped over the roof. I have used bottlescrews on the legs and strapped them round the jacklegs. We all used to fasten ISO containers on flat trailers with ropes.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p … 21&start=0

I would have no problem using straps on Portakabins or similar. They weigh very little because they are empty structures, additionally a chain would damage one.

Not sure what an empty Portakabin weighs, but I doubt there is five tonnes in one, and four ratchet straps would do it for me.

Harry Monk:
I would have no problem using straps on Portakabins or similar. They weigh very little because they are empty structures, additionally a chain would damage one.

Not sure what an empty Portakabin weighs, but I doubt there is five tonnes in one, and four ratchet straps would do it for me.

Me too.

I carry work cabins and porta cabins and we never use more than two straps over the roof, but with new regs re: fall arrests and ladders we cut the straps down and use a ratchet on the four legs never had a problem on site or company h @ s and that was with balfour beatty ‘zero harm’ bandits. now i carry computers from hinckley and don’t have to worry about loads at all, thats the first in ten years, driving a to b could’nt be easier but boring.

john_costigan:

Harry Monk:

Me too.

me 3 !

on normal cabins (within truck body I use 2 straps over the roof,
on wide cabins, 4 straps, shortened on each of the jack legs is more than enough to stop it moving, 2 pulling forwards 2 pulling back, bob’s ya uncle.

That’s good to know then! I’ve no idea what one would weigh. Near enough every company I’ve worked for through the agency, it’s been a struggle to find a ratchet strap that’s in working order, bit bad really as none of them really seem to care.

The big oasis type cabins / Containers with toilet, genny & canteen are fairly heavy (apporx 6t) but your average jackleg tye site cabin (non container based) weigh next to nothing. Sometimes it’s a job to know whether to risk the roof caving in with straps over the top or chance the legs separating from the body such is the condition of some that I have moved.

chris_89:

Passed “a shed of a Volvo 26 tonner flatbed”
Did it fall off ? . . Cab happy or wind up ? . . twist locks on a 10" wide flat :confused:

chris_89:

Do mean something like this…

You’d need big arms to throw a strap over that :laughing:

newmercman:

chris_89:

Get a ladder,climb onto the roof, and drop the ropes down the sides and then rope it all down just like hauling stacked pallets. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
But have you noticed how they always put prefabs built like garden sheds where they get tornadoes :open_mouth: :laughing: and places built with 1000’s of tonnes of concrete where they get earthquakes :open_mouth: :laughing: .So I’d bet it’s not going to California probably the Mid West :laughing:.

Carryfast:

newmercman:

chris_89:

Get a ladder,climb onto the roof, and drop the ropes down the sides and then rope it all down just like hauling stacked pallets. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
But have you noticed how they always put prefabs built like garden sheds where they get tornadoes :open_mouth: :laughing: and places built with 1000’s of tonnes of concrete where they get earthquakes :open_mouth: :laughing: .So I’d bet it’s not going to California probably the Mid West :laughing:.

Come on NMM, you open the window and chuck it through.

Really though, I used to carry Protakabins out of Thame, a bit of rope round each leg, they weight only 2 or 3 tons depending on what size they are.