Using a downhill gradient to overtake

2 of you in lane one doing same speed 56mph. Downhill gradient and truck behind doesn’t bother braking at all to hold speed and uses the hill for the extra couple of mph to start overtaking. Gradient levels out and the truck electronics only allow him to revert to his original speed which is the same speed as you yet he’s only half way past. Leave them out there I say as it’s ■■■■ poor planning for an overtake if your relying on gravity to provide the extra speed for you.

Personally I can’t be faffed and don’t let what others do bother me so much. In that situation I’d back off a click or two which would take a minimal finger movement, let them in and carry on with life.

The limited max speed is exactly that, it is not a legal or company requirement to travel at that speed unless you work for clowns.

Try knocking 3 or 4 clicks off your cruise speed permanently, makes barely any difference to journey times unless you are covering serious distance, saves fuel helping ensure your job security, and leaves you those 3 or 4 clicks to enable reasonable overtakes when the need arises.

Those desperate enough to use downhills to overtake for no reason other than to move 1 place up the endless line of wagons i would rather have in front of me and feel slight pity for that the job has them that desperate, chances are they’re a tailgater so better they tailgate the next poor sod.

It is efficient to start the overtake and let it roll to 60 avoiding unnecessary braking even if it does end up with us side by side as the gradient flattens out.

I couldnt give 2 ■■■■■ whether you ‘leave me out there’ you sad ■■■■■ I will carry on on the limiter and ‘leave you boxed in’

SuperMultiBlue:
It is efficient to start the overtake and let it roll to 60 avoiding unnecessary braking even if it does end up with us side by side as the gradient flattens out.

I couldnt give 2 [zb] whether you ‘leave me out there’ you sad [zb], I will carry on on the limiter and ‘leave you boxed in’

Prick

A true professional, and would you just pull out from a slip road, and just sit there when someone has moved over for you… If so do you drive a Tipper.

SuperMultiBlue:

I couldnt give 2 [zb] whether you ‘leave me out there’ you sad [zb], I will carry on on the limiter and ‘leave you boxed in’

Prick

There we have it ^^ in one easy to digest soundbite the perfect summary of everything that is wrong with this industry.

toonsy:
Personally I can’t be faffed and don’t let what others do bother me so much. In that situation I’d back off a click or two which would take a minimal finger movement, let them in and carry on with life.

^^^^
If only all road users had the same courteous and relaxed attitude.

No need for any type of training, I have been doing this for years and never had an accident, I honestly can’t see why there is any need for hgv driver training at all. Just stick it in D and go. Typical of today’s RIF RAF of alleged drivers.!! The bad can never see the bad, only the good see the bad.

the maoster:

SuperMultiBlue:

Prick

There we have it ^^ in one easy to digest soundbite the perfect summary of everything that is wrong with this industry.

+1
This industry is riddled with pricks that treat fellow drivers like this. Deliberatly boxing in a fellow driver just because you are too thick to realise that your downhill overtake isnt going to be completed. Jeeez

+2 or 3.

The roads over recent weeks having fewer cars have shown these overtake regardless types up in all their anti-glory :unamused:

DickyNick:
Leave them out there I say as it’s ■■■■ poor planning for an overtake if your relying on gravity to provide the extra speed for you.

SuperMultiBlue:

the maoster:

Personally I would say the top 2 quotes together summerise what’s wrong with the industry, take one of them out of the equation and put a grown up in their place and there won’t be 2 trucks sitting side by side for miles.

P.S This isn’t the only thing that’s wrong with the industry by a long way.

the ones the irritate me are the ones that are going up a hill at 40 or less then when you move out to overtake speed up to 56 still on the hill.

toonsy:

Same here, I get overtaken all the time for 2 reasons.
1.I drive a Craptros limited to 52ish.
2.I get paid by the hour, so what’s the ■■■■ rush.

Backing off 2 clicks makes no difference to my day whatsoever, I just laugh at the stress head tear arses, squeezing every half Kph out of their motors…let them ■■■■ off a bit quicker to their first stress related heart attack/stroke for me, I couldn’t give a ■■■■. . :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Over the years in this job, I’ve seen em come,.and then seen em go…usually wrapped up in a box.

I also run at 3kmh off max.

If anyone gets stuck beside me,I simply increase my speed,so they can safely slot back in behind.

commonrail:
I also run at 3kmh off max.

If anyone gets stuck beside me,I simply increase my speed,so they can safely slot back in behind.

Yep same here, I back off for them for whatever reason they find themselves running alongside me, good bad or incompetent, then sit back and a friendly flash in of the headlights…job sorted. :sunglasses:
It’s called ‘Professionalism’. :bulb:

(Unless the ■■■■ then cuts in on me, then I want to literally ■■■■ kill him :imp: :grimacing:
:laughing: )

I just set the cruise to 50 and bimble along like that all day watching the world go by. Not my problem if someone can’t get past me at that speed.

Boss did say something about it once, so I told him he shouldn’t have sent me on that SAFED course.

I only back off if they’re genuinely faster.

If the only reason they got anywhere near me…is because they ran it down hill…and then ran out of hill…they’ll go back behind.

No elephant racing here.

Same goes for uphill.

No way am I dropping 10kmh off to let somebody in who is obviously heavy(when I’m light)

DickyNick:
Leave them out there I say as it’s ■■■■ poor planning for an overtake if your relying on gravity to provide the extra speed for you.

It’s a douchey thing for them to do, but so it is for you. Can’t fight stupid with stupid. I slow down and let them in (and make sure I follow from much farther behind than I do usually)

UKtramp:
No need for any type of training, I have been doing this for years and never had an accident, I honestly can’t see why there is any need for hgv driver training at all. Just stick it in D and go. Typical of today’s RIF RAF of alleged drivers.!! The bad can never see the bad, only the good see the bad.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
excuse me old chap.
jakethesnake has the monopoly in here for telling us how we are all bad drivers with only him knowing exactly to what standards we should be aiming for.
you are better suited to keep proclaiming you are fridge jesus and itl save all of us from getting mixed up with whos who.
are you sure you didnt login with the wrong user name again?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

personally i never have any trouble at all loaded or empty with elephant raing and anything i sit my bum in does between 82 and 65 whilst still reading 56 and thats without engaging the must make the boat happy button… :slight_smile: