Using a downhill gradient to overtake

Sit at 84k’s ,everyone who can pass does…im a lot more chilled for it and my fuel bonus has increased a fair bit too…racing around is too much like hard work nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SuperMultiBlue:
It is efficient to start the overtake and let it roll to 60 avoiding unnecessary braking even if it does end up with us side by side as the gradient flattens out.

I couldnt give 2 [zb] whether you ‘leave me out there’ you sad [zb], I will carry on on the limiter and ‘leave you boxed in’

Prick

Oooohhhh ouch

Hahahahaha,
Much bigger problems out there, than be concerned about how to “overtake”. Just do your bit professionally, and forget about the others they really are insignificant in the scheme of things.
And the guy posting about a prick, thats a bit blatant to openly ask for ■■■ on here, dont you think.

When I were younger, I’d have my nose pressed up against the windscreen with my foot almost going through the floor on the accelerator pedal. I can’t be arsed nowadays & will only give it if someone’s being a knob. Passive aggressively like.

In the OP’s situation, I’d leave um out. Get it right, do your job properly and he wouldn’t have been stuck out. That’s what I calls half a job that is. [emoji849]

The guy that’s dropped the ball should back off & slot back in if you’re the same speed on the flat, if he’s quicker then I’d let him in unless there’s loads of hills ahead then engine power, age of vehicle, load, weight & gradient come in to play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DickyNick:
Leave them out there I say as it’s ■■■■ poor planning for an overtake if your relying on gravity to provide the extra speed for you.

Makes you no better than him, in fact you’re worse as you’re needlessly continuing your elephant race. Everyone stuck behind the pair of you will blame you just as much as him.

Everyone here is only moaning because they have dials to drive gears now.

Anyone with a clutch would disagree. Soon as they hit the lip of the hill ots clutch engaged and hang on till you hit the bottom.

Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

Paid by the hour guys? Why not pull into a layby every now and then stop for a ■■■■ or even a smoke. Fire the kettle on have a brew.

As your “paid by the hour”

cgscott:

Anyone with a clutch would disagree. Soon as they hit the lip of the hill ots clutch engaged and hang on till you hit the bottom.

Paid by the hour guys? Why not pull into a layby every now and then stop for a ■■■■ or even a smoke. Fire the kettle on have a brew.

Because that is swinging the lead, driving at a safe professional pace without stress is …well, driving at a safe professional pace without stress. :bulb: , makes for a better work life, and in fact, life in general. :bulb:
Hope that answers yer query.

robroy:

cgscott:

Because that is swinging the lead, driving at a safe professional pace without stress is …well, driving at a safe professional pace without stress. :bulb: , makes for a better work life, and in fact, life in general. :bulb:
Hope that answers yer query.

It does do that thanks.

But having seen my father as a bit of a boy racer type growing up. Now hes old like a big percentage of this forum. He ■■■■■ his pants when he comes out a run with me. He losing confidence where is im happy and confident. He drives like a snail anticipates wverything that wont happen. My deal is if somone pulls out in front of you its there fault if chuck norris comes all kung fu from a bust stop and you splat him. His fault.
This is things my old dad looks for now instead of driving. Hence the reason he drives like a caravan tower looking at scenery.

Robroy, i suspect yours and my jobs are quite safe for a while yet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Safed, White Truck Man that’s a blast from the past, I used to be a safed man not a trainer, I was of the opinion that their training was before I stumbled upon them, I was only there to show them a way of driving that might be different to theirs, some were interested some were not, it did not matter to me, I was paid by the hour, and just handed the results to who ever wanted them. I will admit to being very glad to get out alive with a few,

cgscott:
But having seen my father as a bit of a boy racer type growing up. Now hes old like a big percentage of this forum. He [zb] his pants when he comes out a run with me. He losing confidence where is im happy and confident. He drives like a snail anticipates wverything that wont happen. My deal is if somone pulls out in front of you its there fault if chuck norris comes all kung fu from a bust stop and you splat him. His fault.
This is things my old dad looks for now instead of driving. Hence the reason he drives like a caravan tower looking at scenery.

More or less also describes me too.
It’s not loss of confidence at all.It’s the knowledge that the roads these days are infested by some real retards out there that just don’t go by 1970’s rules.
The fact is you missed the party.
Feel free to go through every junction with the attitude that if they pull out it’s their fault or think that every pedestrian isn’t a suicidal nutter who’ll walk out in the face of approaching traffic without a care in the world.
A non fault accident at best still goes against your own insurance record.
Add a fatal to that mix then all bets are off.

I chuckle at the “I’m paid by the hour” lot when a quick search back through the forum threads over the past month or so sees the same names complaining about being “forced” to work 15 hour days :smiley:

But I digress. I’m with commonrail on this one (previous page), if they want to come flying past me at 65-70 but not have the legs to get up the other side (tipper drivers M6/A59 northbound, I’m looking at you) then that’s your problem as I’m not slowing down to 40 to let you in to crawl up to Longridge. Likewise I don’t expect anyone to yield when I’m doing the same coming back the other way fully loaded.

If they run out of steam when it levels out but they’ve got the edge on me I’ll back it off and let them go as that’s the sensible thing to do, but if I’ve got the edge, I don’t care that you’re 90% of the way past me, you’re staying there whilst I undertake you as I can guarantee they’ll keep it nailed to the floor if I yield and then go to overtake them. The only exception to the latter would be if it’s a 2 or 3 lane carriageway and there’s a coach stuck behind them.

Carryfast:

cgscott:
But having seen my father as a bit of a boy racer type growing up. Now hes old like a big percentage of this forum. He [zb] his pants when he comes out a run with me. He losing confidence where is im happy and confident. He drives like a snail anticipates wverything that wont happen. My deal is if somone pulls out in front of you its there fault if chuck norris comes all kung fu from a bust stop and you splat him. His fault.

It’s not loss of confidence at all.It’s the knowledge that the roads these days are infested by some real retards out there that just don’t go by 1970’s rules.
Feel free to go through every junction with the attitude that if they pull out it’s their fault or think that every pedestrian isn’t a suicidal nutter who’ll walk out in the face of approaching traffic without a care in the world.

Thing is my old chum. Someone junps in front of wagon. They are at fault.

Someone pulls out of junction instead off waiting on 44tonner passing it is thier fault.

So rather than drive around at snail pace anticipating everything and anything i drive around at my pace and whatever happens will happen.

To date ive had no jumpers or people pulling out in front of me.

Although on a sadder not i have killed 2 deer this week. Seem to be everywhere just now.

R420:
I chuckle at the “I’m paid by the hour” lot when a quick search back through the forum threads over the past month or so sees the same names complaining about being “forced” to work 15 hour days :smiley:

This is maybe the point where you’re maybe going to prove me wrong :smiley: …but I can’t for the life of me remember when my lot tried to ‘‘force’’ me into a 15 last, (or ‘force’ me to do anything for that matter. , :neutral_face: )
Ok maybe when I first started with them over 10 yrs ago, they maybe tried, but no,.can’t recall it lately tbf.

On the other hand, I do sometimes do a 15 on my first leg of the journey on a Wed, but I’ve maybe spent 5 of those hours waiting for my trailer to be loaded, and it means I get a good start next day to knock a few drops off, to take it easier afterwards next couple of days.
Or even if things go ■■■■ up, or I need to get back or something, but tbf I’m left alone to my own discretion on the whole, and still manage to achieve my weekly workload within my 4 on/3off shift pattern, doing the same job each week, so both parties happy.

Ok, the last 2 weeks have been a complete ■■■■ up, where I’ve ended up in London and Kent, and one week I had a Saturday night out, but an exception (or 2 :smiley: ) rather than the rule for the last 5 or so years I’ve done this specific job for the firm.

Anyhoo…to get back on thread, I just back off and let them crack on, with a chilled laid back ‘wtf’ type of attitude. :sunglasses: :smiley:

robroy:

R420:

This is maybe the point where you’re maybe going to prove me wrong :smiley: …but I can’t for the life of me remember when my lot tried to ‘‘force’’ me into a 15 last, (or ‘force’ me to do anything for that matter. , :neutral_face: )
Ok maybe when I first started with them over 10 yrs ago, they maybe tried, but no,.can’t recall it lately tbf.

On the other hand, I do sometimes do a 15 on my first leg of the journey on a Wed, but I’ve maybe spent 5 of those hours waiting for my trailer to be loaded, and it means I get a good start next day to knock a few drops off, to take it easier afterwards next couple of days.
Or even if things go ■■■■ up, or I need to get back or something, but tbf I’m left alone to my own discretion on the whole, and still manage to achieve my weekly workload within my 4 on/3off shift pattern, doing the same job each week, so both parties happy.

Ok, the last 2 weeks have been a complete [zb] up, where I’ve ended up in London and Kent, and one week I had a Saturday night out, but an exception (or 2 :smiley: ) rather than the rule for the last 5 or so years I’ve done this specific job for the firm.

Anyhoo…to get back on thread, I just back off and let them crack on, with a chilled laid back ‘wtf’ type of attitude. :sunglasses: :smiley:

Flat to the mat. Let your hair blow in the speedy wind and get home for the gym between 5 and 7pm for the office girls who love to keep fit commencing. Love the LGV life. Beats any job hands down.

cgscott:

Carryfast:

cgscott:

Someone pulls out of junction instead off waiting on 44tonner passing it is thier fault.

So rather than drive around at snail pace anticipating everything and anything i drive around at my pace and whatever happens will happen.

Although on a sadder not i have killed 2 deer this week. Seem to be everywhere just now.

I get it that you’re trying to be cool and controversial bud, but to be aware and anticipatory you do not need to be going at ‘snails pace’.
I try and look out for potential ■■■■ up situations all the time, but certainly do not drive around like a snail, and not like some accident prevention obsessed nut job either.

Granted it’s their fault if they end up under your trailer, but these people are not pro drivers with instilled common sense, in fact some of them are downright ■■■■ idiots, but I don’t know about you, but for me I’d hate to have some old person, young inexperienced kid, or even the downright ■■■■ idiot guy’s death on my conscience, just because I had the ‘‘It ain’t my fault attitude’’ I leave that to arrogant inept car drivers not professional drivers of 44 tonnes. :bulb:

Not trying to patronise you btw. it’s just the way I see it, it’s them and us, and we are SUPPOSED to be the professionals out of the 2 . :bulb:

robroy:

cgscott:

Carryfast:

cgscott:

I get it that you’re trying to be cool and controversial bud, but to be aware and anticipatory you do not need to be going at ‘snails pace’.
I try and look out for potential ■■■■ up situations all the time, but certainly do not drive around like a snail, and not like some accident prevention obsessed nut job either.

Granted it’s their fault if they end up under your trailer, but these people are not pro drivers with instilled common sense, in fact some of them are downright [zb] idiots, but I don’t know about you, but for me I’d hate to have some old person, young inexperienced kid, or even the downright [zb] idiot guy’s death on my conscience, just because I had the ‘‘It ain’t my fault attitude’’ I leave that to arrogant inept car drivers not professional drivers of 44 tonnes. :bulb:

Not trying to patronise you btw. it’s just the way I see it, it’s them and us, and we are SUPPOSED to be the professionals out of the 2 . :bulb:

To be honest. Im quite happy doing as i do. If i ran over someone who jumped in front of me then id be out the next day. If i was at fault probably wouldnt drive again but i certainly am not going to drive about thinking it may happen.

If it does it does.

But like this covid.

■■■■■■■ slamming the door on people but still go collect food once a week.

Ive not wore gloves a mask or washed my hand every 20 minutes for months and im still breathing.

Flat to the matt. ■■■■ the sheep.

Ok, let’s not get into an argument, but instead suffice to say that both of our posts on this subject says a lot about, (and the differences between) each other.
Don’t know how long you’ve been driving, and I certainly ain’t perfect, but on my side of things the way I do things have worked out ok so far for me over the many yearsthat I’ve done it.

robroy:

R420:

Ok, the last 2 weeks have been a complete [zb] up, where I’ve ended up in London and Kent, and one week I had a Saturday night out, but an exception (or 2 :smiley: ) rather than the rule for the last 5 or so years I’ve done this specific job for the firm.

It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, but there have been numerous threads complaining that 15 hours is too long, should be banned, outlawed etc because it’s dangerous and they’re “forcing” me to do it when I’m feeling “tired”, then a few threads later “I don’t give a ■■■■, I’m paid by the hour me, so I make sure I take my time”. The irony being that if those drivers just got on with the job like a normal person instead of dragging it out then they’d be done in 12 hours and the complaining about 15 hour days would solve itself. :bulb: :wink:

Getting back to what the thread was about, letting a driver in who has got himself into a position where he can’t complete an overtake is not going to cost hours in the day. Whether to allow him in of course depends on a number of factors, including his pace. However, the example given was an evenly matched situation.

15 hours is manageable in certain circumstances but bear in mind that there may be rigid multi-drop drivers on here who travel home every day and routinely unload a 26 tonne motor from the tail-lift as well as drive 9 hours. I have done this and the fatigue is very real.

The phrase less haste more speed also springs to mind in all of this. If you are steady, this usually wins the day over flying about being impatient and possibly making mistakes with the navigation or the goods. Taking three hours off a run is a bit far-fetched. You would need to be out of your mind to run around like a dafty doing a 15 hour run in 12 hours. That is what is called a mug. As robroy and others suggest, if you do this over a number of years, there will probably be an impact on the individual, including potential health problems.