Catagory D, anyone?

So I have C+E and honestly think it’s a bit boring, pays alright though but I’m just thinking about adding more strings to me bow.

Would I have to do medical/Hazard/theory/CPC module 4 again?

As far as I understand it you wont, but you will need to sit a PSV test to carry more than 8 passengers

You will have to do the theory/ hazard perception for the psv and if you ticked the box for provisional , if not maybe have to do medical as well.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Cat D whem Shearings/Nat Holidays have just collapsed with tens of thousands of experienced Cat D drivers now looking for work? Yeah, good luck with that one. :smiley:

It’s something I’d like to do as well but no point now. You’ve no hope of a job for a new pass for the foreseeable future. You may find a job on local service buses but not coach work.

If you already have D provisional then no medical because LGV one covers it
If you do not have D provisional then it depends when your last medical was

When is your next D4 medical due :question:

R420:
Cat D whem Shearings/Nat Holidays have just collapsed with tens of thousands of experienced Cat D drivers now looking for work? Yeah, good luck with that one. :smiley:

Just like truck driving, there is always vacancies, just depends on what you want to do. Ah be some PCV holders don’t like 15 hour days then sweeping out and washing a coach after the shift … plenty of bus companies need drivers always do always will … turn over of staff is large lie, the truck industry.

If you want to do it as an insurance policy why not. Try local buses training is normally free. You can do it part time if you like. Some companies have part time roles. There will always be jobs available its not all doom and gloom

The large bus firms usually train their own drivers , as you can already drive large vehicles you are in with an advantage. You could do service work for a couple of years to pay back your bond then go to a coach firm if you still want to. As said there is a lot of part time school related work out there.

rearaxle:
You will have to do the theory/ hazard perception for the psv and if you ticked the box for provisional , if not maybe have to do medical as well.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

This is correct.

Assuming you have the spare cash sat to one side, I would fully recommend leaving it in the bank until things start to show signs of picking up again. Most coach companies are on their knees at the moment and are fighting for survival. With most of their fleet parked up gathering dust and hemorrhaging money, most of their drivers are sat at the wayside as well.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ghiabox:
So I have C+E and honestly think it’s a bit boring, pays alright though but I’m just thinking about adding more strings to me bow.

Would I have to do medical/Hazard/theory/CPC module 4 again?

Can see why carrying a load that is unlikely to infect you with a deadly virus might be boring at this time #livingontheedge

This might seem like a daft question but the thought crossed my mind in retirement about possibly converting a coach into living accommodation and seeing a bit of the world.

Holding a Class 1 licence would you still have to sit a Cat D rest even though you weren’t planning on carrying any more than say 4 people?

thehighlandscot:
This might seem like a daft question but the thought crossed my mind in retirement about possibly converting a coach into living accommodation and seeing a bit of the world.

Holding a Class 1 licence would you still have to sit a Cat D rest even though you weren’t planning on carrying any more than say 4 people?

When a bus is converted into a motorhome the number of seats changes, and so does the weight. For both those reasons the V5 will need changing.
A motorhome of 3.5t to 7.5t needs a C1. Over 7.5t needs a C licence.

gov.uk/change-vehicle-detai … ertificate
gov.uk/driving-motorhome

A 30 year old bus/coach which still has 13 seats can be classed as a private bus and driven on a car licence, providing no more than 8 passengers are carried. But why would you want the storage, on-travel parking, fuel consumption, mechanical complexity and unreliability of such vehicle when more realisic alternatives are available?

There are more cons than pros in making a bus into a motor home. Does it get MOTed as a motor home or bus? Having an old bus as a static home could work .

You may also have to sit a 2nd set of DCPC hours if the licence expiry dates of the D and C/C+E are different

I really wouldn’t embarrass myself by converting an old bus into a campervan, You would look like a new age traveler and probably not be allowed onto most camp sites with it regardless.

Appreciate the info thanks.

Thing is it could be a short term or long term. Just a thought at the minute. Could rent the house to cover fuel/tyres/break downs and sell on at the end with a possible profit or if it was a lifestyle that we became accustomed too then sell the house and never worry about money again. Could make a permanent site somewhere that we visited and liked. On the doorstep of a quiet beach away from the rat race for example

Being accustomed to the tramping lifestyle it wouldn’t be a big change for me but would be up to the mrs in the end.

When you think of the maintenance and upkeep of a house over the course of its life, even getting something top spec would be equivalent to pennies in comparison.

As for camp sites they didn’t cross my mind in the first place to be honest

I always wanted to drive trucks and fulfilled a dream in doing so, many dreams in fact as I trampled round Europe. But my driving career started on busses then coaches eventually doing tours around Europe and from an impartial point of view - coach driving is the better job. More enjoyable, more to it, more socialable. You effectively get to go on people’s holidays and do a bit of driving! But bad time to think of getting a licence, the coach travel industry is being destroyed by lockdown. It’s in a much worse position than transport

When we had the campsite in France we allowed all types on as long they didn’t have ‘any old iron?’ painted down the side of the transit!