class C vs D

I’ve just passed my theory and hazard for LGV, just a thought do these cover C only? Is it a different one for Class D?
Also is if someone has passed C, is the bus test (practical) relatively similar? (long heavy vehicle, just with many seats?) No offence meant to any bus drivers either my Dad was one!

There’s a different theory test for both C and D categories as well as different practical tests. Tests are both similar but you will be asked different questions by the examiner.
If you have both categories then just 35 hours DCPC is needed to cover both.
I’m not 100% sure (maybe Peter Smythe or Rog might know or Shep certainly will) but if you already have your DCPC for one class and pass another you would need to take another 35 hours for the new category. This would also start the 5 years again for your existing category.

There is a separate initial dcpc for LGV & PCV but the 35 hours periodic dcpc covers both

Cheers chaps, I sort of guessed there was extra regs and rules learn re passengers, weights and vehicle handling. I just wondered if witha bit of reading up it was possible to do the D practical after the C without another theory and hazard, or further weeks training?
I see another theory test is needed at least.
Cheers

spacemanZ10:
Cheers chaps, I sort of guessed there was extra regs and rules learn re passengers, weights and vehicle handling. I just wondered if witha bit of reading up it was possible to do the D practical after the C without another theory and hazard, or further weeks training?
I see another theory test is needed at least.
Cheers

Peter Smythe will be able to give you the exact requirements as his company does both LGV & PCV

You are correct that you need further theory tests. I would estimate that 90% of what you learn for a truck will stand you in good stead for bus. The other 10% includes bus stop procedure (amazing how easy it is to fail on this alone) and use of bus lanes. Speed limits have now been regularised so nothing new to learn there.

If you intend doing this, make sure you have CAT D provisional on your licence. As soon as you’ve passed your CAT C have an assessment on CAT D. It makes sense to use the same trainer as you’ll be familiar with the working practices and test routes.

I would expect the conversion from C to D to take around 6 hours with the same trainer and not allowing for any unforeseen difficulties.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

does the identical HPT need doing twice Peter ?

does the identical HPT need doing twice Peter ?

Madness - but yes. Cant begin to justify it - just the rules.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think the CPC module 2 needs to be a conversion test if you get the LGV one (or vice versa).

Thanks for the reply Pete, Rog. Does seem odd about the HPT as I would have thought hazard is a hazard Wether in a car bus or wagon? Hey ho. Cheers

It’s more than odd. It’s daft, stupid and totally unnecessary IMO. But rules is rules.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: