How Close Has It Come

Franglais:

Nite Owl:

Harry Monk:
I don’t personally know anybody affected by it, but as there are 25,120 confirmed cases and the UK population is around 68,000,000 then only 0.04% of the population have tested positive for it and only 0.0026% of the population have died from it(1,781 deaths) so statistically speaking I suppose it is more unlikely than likely that I would.

I’m another one who doesnt understand the reaction because of the numbers. I dare say at the end of it we’ll be told it wasnt as bad as they though because of the actions that were taken.

Try this.
Do nothing: COVID 19 could take out 1%, that’s over 500,000.
Lock down about 20,000 deaths?
Still trying to get a handle on the numbers? 500,000 is more than the total number of combined military and civilian war deaths in the UK and Crown Colonies from the whole of the 1939-1945.
Do nowt, and all the WW2 deaths concentrated in about a year.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, looking back to the start of the 2009 swine flu panic:

theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul … se-britain

"Up to 65,000 people in the UK could die from swine flu if the pandemic achieves it worst possible potential, the government warned today.

The chief medical officer, Professor Sir Liam Donaldson, said that in the worst case scenario 30% of the UK population could be infected by the H1N1 virus, with 65,000 killed."

Estimated 65,000 deaths at the start, real figure 138 deaths from over 500,000 cases.

nhs.uk/news/cancer/swine-fl … -examined/

“This was a well-conducted investigation into all deaths in England attributed to swine flu up to November 2009. It found that there were 138 deaths from an estimated 540,000 cases, or around 26 deaths per 100,000 people.”

Now, excuse the coldness of this next part, how many of these coronavirus deaths would have happened anyway? There are an extra 30,000 - 40,000 deaths every winter anyway.

fullfact.org/online/Excess-winter-deaths-UK/

"The number of excess deaths estimated in 2018/19 is less than half the number in 2017/18 (even if you just look at Great Britain). However, it is common to have large fluctuations in the estimated number of excess winter deaths between years. To account for this discrepancy, it is preferable to use the average of all estimates over the last five years. In Great Britain, the average number of excess winter deaths over the last five years was 39,142.

Excess winter deaths are calculated as the difference in the number of deaths over three months of winter compared to the three months before and after this period"

Maybe this is one of the times where we’ll only know the truth, after the event.