Cancer.....

We have about 70 drivers at our firm, in the last 3 years we have lost to cancer 4 drivers…also in the last 12 months I have also lost 3 people (outside my job) due to cancer.
How does this compare to other people■■?

dec 10th last year lost a good mate down to cancer of the esophagus.
out of the men who worked with him in the death plant,[tipping tanks of nasty stuff]none of them have reached retirement with out getting cancer.
i think a lot of blokes who do an industrial type job, get the big C thru the fuels and lubricants and chemicals they use or come into contact with while doing their work.

i dont even want to think about how many miles i have done breathing in diesel fumes,or how much ive had on my skin.
a little tip for you if you dont like breathing diesel fumes,when your picking a trl up or dropping one,once you are under it switch your engine off,same when your ready to drop a trl, turn your engine off.
click the link for more info on what we are breathing in at work.

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg286.htm

Hi,please dont get me wrong i have every simpathy for people who have lost loved ones to cancer. But on monday i was diagnosed with Muliple system atrophy (msa) There no cure or treatment to stop or slow down this disease,from first symtoms they say you live 5 to7 years ive had symtoms 2 to 3 years.

Really sorry to hear that Colin, I hope you are as comfotable as possible, didnt think you had been on here for a while.
All the best have a good christmas and a happy New Year.

I used to be a welder in a massive factory then one the shipyards and in the factory’s you could never one end to the other for fumes. On the yards I was doing ship repairs and that was terrible smoke and fumes in confined spaces, I remember that the government bought out a law to put health warnings on boxes of welding rods … From that day we never got boxes of rods again just 20 to 30 a time. Don’t start me about asbestos on old ships.

Deepinvet:
Really sorry to hear that Colin, I hope you are as comfotable as possible, didnt think you had been on here for a while.
All the best have a good christmas and a happy New Year.

This ^

Well my dad died of cancer earlier this year but he never worked in a factory he was a pen pusher then a driver ( although in his younger day did do a lot of repairs on cars )

Hi, I am a proud lorry drivers daughter. My Dad, who has been a lorry driver home and aboard for some many years, was diagonsed with stage 3 kidney cancer in November 2011, he is on treatment - tablets, has gone from hospital to hospice to hopefully, on the 11th Jan, home. His care has been a bit hit and miss throughout, with myself & his partner having to kick up a storm every so often. At 61 he is determined to beat cancer and return to work!!! Due to mobility issuses he can not get about very much, a few steps aided by a zimmer frame is alot for him. His return home should be a happy moment, but I am still fighting the council to get a back burner removed from thier front room, which whilst in place no-one can sleep downstairs, so as Dad wants to go home we have all agreed that he will have to reside upstairs, with no means of getting downstairs. The council have informed me that there is nothing left in this years budget to remove burner, replace with modern boiler or for a curved stairlift. Their suggestion was to cap off burner, run hot water through emersion & supply electric heaters…so not only will his health suffer but so will his back pocket. Now being on full disibality allowance. In short yet again a lorry driver has to suffer, make do, because the council can’t be bothered. We hav a meeting with their local Cllr tomorrow and hope to get further with him for help, but I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any charities that help lorry drivers in their hour of need■■?
Thank you for reading.

Really sorry to read this. You do have alot of avenues open to you that you might not realise.
Was your father in the forces?? If he was try ringing the local ssafa branch they WILL help as much as they can, his old unit will help. Also if he was in a union they might help, also in your localities are there any charities ■■? They will also help.
Finally try The Masons, Lions and anybody else that has any money like all the cancer charities !!!
I truly wish you all the best, and I look forward to seeing your Dad down the road.

Have you tried Macmillan nurses or the Marie Curie for help

If your dad was in forces the Royal British Legion can help with some stuff

Also contact your local CAB as they can write a lot of letters on your behalf to get things moving

Not sure what other cancer charities there are

Has your dad house been modernised under the decent homes ( EU state that all council houses should be brough up to certain standard )

But yep the council has no money due to government cut backs maybe try late March as the new financial year starts April 6th to co inside with the tax year

Hi. To littlehuggy i hope your fathers situation at home improves swiftly & that he does come home home tomorrow.
To colket, yes there are illnesses just as devastating as cancer to the sufferer & the families. I am sorry that you have to live this.

My thoughts are with you both. Take care.