Driving with the side lights on in daylight

only when light bars fitted . . discuss

Depends on which country you are in, some want sidelights on even in daylight :wink:

No choice turn the engine on side lights come on, go to Scandinavia and it’s headlights full time

Drive a Volvo truck and the side lights come on automatically.

Isn’t it now law all new vehicles have running lights all the time?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

drover:
Isn’t it now law all new vehicles have running lights all the time?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

They are required to be fitted, but there is (currently, in the UK) no requirement that they must be used. Most (possibly all?) manufacturers have them “on all the time” but many allow you to switch them off manually.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

What’s with these people who go out of their way to drive with lights OFF - at night?

Trying to save the fillaments?

Worried about draining their batteries when it’s running off the alternator?

I don’t get it. :question: :question: :confused:

Geoffo:
Drive a Volvo truck and the side lights come on automatically.

Same here,.Actros front side lights on all time, think they may even be extra ‘running lights’ even.

On a similar vein…Lightboards. :unamused:
Why?

And also…, when you park up at night with curtains open sat in drivers seat, lightboard on, (like an Amsterdam tart on Canal st), do you think people are looking at you thinking…‘‘Cool’’ ■■

Well they do think of a word starting with ‘C’ but it certainly aint the word ‘Cool’. :bulb:
Clue…rhymes with ‘Shunt’ :bulb:

Wind up alert…Look, I’m off work, I’m feeling a bit bored and slightly mischievous ok?? :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

I remember, back in the old days, getting annoyed by Volvos with their lights on all the time.

These days I get annoyed with people who drive in poor light without lights.

Lights are always set to automatic in car and lorry, job done[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santa:
I remember, back in the old days, getting annoyed by Volvos with their lights on all the time.

These days I get annoyed with people who drive in poor light without lights.

If I remember rightly, the 1970’s Volvos thus fitted actually had an early form of DRL, with a 21 watt bulb for the side lights instead of the usual 5 watt; they were twin filament bulbs as per stop/tail and only the 5 watt was illuminated when the vehicle was actually parked.

My wrath is reserved for those who continue to mooch about with only the small low-powered sidelights on when it’s dark or raining. They might just as well switch the ■■■■ things off altogether for all the good they are.

Winseer:
What’s with these people who go out of their way to drive with lights OFF - at night?

Nope… most modern cars have permanently illuminated dash lights which only illuminate the front running lights.This confuses some drivers into thinking all their lights are on. In the “old days” you could tell that your lights were not on because your dash lights were off too. I have been caught out myself a few times especially when driving from daylight into night on a well lit road.

Cronus:

Winseer:

Nope… most modern cars have permanently illuminated dash lights which only illuminate the front running lights.This confuses some drivers into thinking all their lights are on. In the “old days” you could tell that your lights were not on because your dash lights were off too. I have been caught out myself a few times especially when driving from daylight into night on a well lit road.

It is amazing that people don’t realize their lights are not on at night - until they can’t see where they are bloody going, and suddenly realize that it’s quite dark in front of them…! :unamused:

“Pulling out of a forecourt and forgetting to twiddle that knob” - is more forgiveable I guess… You usually see the lights go on as the car recedes into the distance…

The interior lights of our trailers only work when unit lights are on so I use side lights during the day

Winseer:

Staggers me when theirs a breakdown on the hard shoulder at night and the braindead don’t keep sidelights turned on. Probably worries about draining the battery

Be more concerned with a 44tonner running up your rear to be honest.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have a top and or bottom light bar, maybe a few extra leds on the front/side of the vehicle, do you turn the sidelights(not day running lights) on in daylight because you think it looks :sunglasses:
Years back I drove a Eurotech (stop laughing at the back)that had those cheap amber coloured lights mounted on the bumper.
They didn’t work very often as the vibration caused the bulbs to fall out.

My 64 plate Merc has daylight running lights, they can’t be turned off.
However, there’s an intermittent fault on one of them, so my dashboard lights up with a fault warning every few seconds. If I switch on my sidelights the fault doesn’t reappear, so I run on sidelights.

When I was on nights, in the summer I would start my journey in daylight. If there were streetlights when it got dark, I wouldn’t notice I had no lights on! This got me into the habit of turning my headlights on at the start of the journey. A habit I still have!!

I bet the dealers pushed for always on lights.

Alfa1M:

Winseer:

Staggers me when theirs a breakdown on the hard shoulder at night and the braindead don’t keep sidelights turned on. Probably worries about draining the battery

Be more concerned with a 44tonner running up your rear to be honest.

I always thought those cars on the hard shoulder with no lights at all - had broken down due to total electrical failure…? I had my Battery-earth casing lead snapped hitting a pothole once - car immediately conked out with no lights… If you keep it in gear, the servos for power steering continue to work, but you slow down quicker, so really need to be in lane 1 not lane 4 at this point…! It was scary enough like just getting off lane one, of course, with a coach right up my chuff, and me unable to even signal that I’m slowing down… I’ve been told since that Citroens often have issues with the wiring… I sure won’t be buying another one of those again! Worst car I ever had, that Picasso… :blush: (The battery is under the passenger seat in a Picasso btw…)