LED Daytime Running Lights

Nearly every new car or truck I seem to see is fitted with these. Has, or is there a new law come out making them compulsory? Or are they just for show. I personally like them but was just wondering what the deal is with them.

Pretty sure there law on new vehicles now but there will be no need to have them retro fitted to older vehicles

I think it’s all new vehicles since February 2012.

I think it’s a load of bollox… We in England don’t need them. I herd that Volvo and the Scandinavians invented them because in winter they never actually get full daylight during the day therefor had these lights on all the time.
Then the likes of Audi, BMW and the rest jumped on the band wagon and made it all about a selling point and nothing to do whether people actually needing them for what their actual purpose is…

Now is someone going to tell me that on a bright summers day that a car with day running lights is easier to see than a car without them?? :slight_smile:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Now is someone going to tell me that on a bright summers day that a car with day running lights is easier to see than a car without them?? :slight_smile:

i will. when the sun is in your mirror, you can see the car that’s trying to overtake if it has its lights on.

i thought it was some EU law that is/has come into force, some trucks have them but you need to turn the setting on, all very well having these lights, but night time you jump in your car, dashboard is lit up and you sub concsiously think your actual lights are on, you drive out petrol station, then 10 mins late plod pulls you over and breathalizes you because you drove through town with no lights on… :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused:

Cruise Control:
i thought it was some EU law that is/has come into force, some trucks have them but you need to turn the setting on, all very well having these lights, but night time you jump in your car, dashboard is lit up and you sub concsiously think your actual lights are on, you drive out petrol station, then 10 mins late plod pulls you over and breathalizes you because you drove through town with no lights on… :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused:

It’s not an offence to drive on a lit road with just your side lights on.
Besides, if you’re daft enough not to switch your lights on as a matter of course when it’s dark, you quite frankly sdeserve to be breathylised

Derf:
It’s not an offence to drive on a lit road with just your side lights on.

no but with just day lights on i’m guessing maybe, my friend got pulled over for it, as dashboard in modern cars is lit like you have got your lights on, i’ve only ever done it once and reaslised just as was pulling out of petrol station :exclamation:

sure plenty of people have done it, just seems daft why dashboard is constantly lit up.

ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/ … ing-light/

Perhaps I should have Googled it BEFORE I asked on here.:blush: Usually you read about things like this in magazines but I’ve never noticed it before hence why I thought the lights might have been for show purposes.

FarnboroughBoy11:

No, but the idea is that it makes cars/trucks easier to notice in your periferal vision

So,is it still an offence to have foglights on during the day? Not something I do,but just wondering,as some of these LED running lights are low mounted and extremely bright if you happen to catch them face on.

I’ve been running with my lights on all the time for over a decade now.

Sir +:
So,is it still an offence to have foglights on during the day? Not something I do,but just wondering,as some of these LED running lights are low mounted and extremely bright if you happen to catch them face on.

Yes it is still an offence. And yes some DRLs are quite intense - Merc, BMW, and Hyundai are some of the worse ones I’ve tested. They’re close to the legal limit for lumen output, but still legal (just) as per Reg 87 specs and Reg 48 installation requirements.

Links for some reading if you’re really, really bored!

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r48r6e.pdf

limeyphil:

FarnboroughBoy11:

i will. when the sun is in your mirror, you can see the car that’s trying to overtake if it has its lights on.

Not me, maybe i just have good eyes.

Biggest problem with these ■■■■ things is the idiots who drive with them on in fog or heavy rain, thay ain`t bright enough and only work on the front.

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:

No, but the idea is that it makes cars/trucks easier to notice in your periferal vision

Again, my peripheral vison must be better than the average UK motorists.

LED running lights are the greatest bit of legislation for a while

FarnboroughBoy11:

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Quite possibly, but we’ve got to account for the numpties out there eh?

FarnboroughBoy11:
I think it’s a load of bollox… We in England don’t need them. I herd that Volvo and the Scandinavians invented them because in winter they never actually get full daylight during the day therefor had these lights on all the time.
Then the likes of Audi, BMW and the rest jumped on the band wagon and made it all about a selling point and nothing to do whether people actually needing them for what their actual purpose is…

I agree with this & personally I really hate them, they’re far too bright for my eyes, if I ever bought a vehicle that has these fitted I’d make every effort to remove/disable them…

Ps they can’t be a legal requirement as our 12/62 volvos don’t have them standard…!

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Quite possibly, but we’ve got to account for the numpties out there eh?

Yes your right. Straying off the subject a bit but I personally think an eye test should be every 5 years and it should be a lot harder. The amount of people that brake for no reason is absurd and it’s got to be because they can’t actually see or see far enough so they tap their brakes and hover over the brake pedal.
I followed a car last week on a single carriage way road when it was dark and he or she would slow from about 45mph to about 20 every time a car was coming the way and would be on his/her brakes until the car was past.