LED Daytime Running Lights

emmerson2:
I think it’s all new vehicles since February 2012.

Wifey’s car was supplied brand new last month and doesn’t have them…

FarnboroughBoy11:
I think it’s a load of bollox… We in England don’t need them. I herd that Volvo and the Scandinavians invented them because in winter they never actually get full daylight during the day therefor had these lights on all the time.

I believe its the law over there to have lights on all the time. Im into volvos and you can set them so they are on all the time even if the switch is in the off position or you can have them so they work on the switch but you can leave them in the on position and they just turn off when you take the key out.

Sir +:
So,is it still an offence to have foglights on during the day? Not something I do,but just wondering,as some of these LED running lights are low mounted and extremely bright if you happen to catch them face on.

No, it is not (and never has been) an offence to have foglights on during the day. But you are only permitted to use them in seriously reduced visibility (i.e. thick fog, heavy spray etc - even at night).

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I think it’s a load of bollox… We in England don’t need them. I herd that Volvo and the Scandinavians invented them because in winter they never actually get full daylight during the day therefor had these lights on all the time.

I believe its the law over there to have lights on all the time. Im into volvos and you can set them so they are on all the time even if the switch is in the off position or you can have them so they work on the switch but you can leave them in the on position and they just turn off when you take the key out.

I like volvos, they are indestructible. I had a banger of a 440 P reg a few years ago and I couldn’t turn the day lights off on that I don’t think?

FarnboroughBoy11:

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:

I like volvos, they are indestructible. I had a banger of a 440 P reg a few years ago and I couldn’t turn the day lights off on that I don’t think?

Volvos are the best, was the 440 fwd? i had an 850r when i was 19, couple years later a 740 for a laugh and now have an 850 t5… Anyway, on the switch for the lights there is a screw type thing with a flat head slot in at the bottom right hand side, turning that changes the settings.

Roymondo:

emmerson2:
I think it’s all new vehicles since February 2012.

Wifey’s car was supplied brand new last month and doesn’t have them…

From what I was told at work its only new models which need to have DRL and not newly registered or even facelift models - apparently a facelift of my work’s 2011 car was brought out after these regulations came in and it does not need to have the lights (I think its to do with less than a certain % of something on the car that is changed - how can you tell this is a EU regulation :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’ve just been given a new Iveco 7 tonner which has daytime running lights.
These seem to have taken the place of ‘sidelights’/parking lights.
There’s only two positions on the light switch,they’re either ‘off’ or 'full '.

I like to leave the sidelights on when unloading on the side of the road in the dark but this is no longer an option.

Daytime running lights are fine but i think Iveco should have left the option of sidelights (rear lights and marker lights) aswell.

FarnboroughBoy11:

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:

semtex65:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Now is someone going to tell me that on a bright summers day that a car with day running lights is easier to see than a car without them?? :slight_smile:

No, but the idea is that it makes cars/trucks easier to notice in your periferal vision

Again, my peripheral vison must be better than the average UK motorists.

Quite possibly, but we’ve got to account for the numpties out there eh?

Yes your right. Straying off the subject a bit but I personally think an eye test should be every 5 years and it should be a lot harder. The amount of people that brake for no reason is absurd and it’s got to be because they can’t actually see or see far enough so they tap their brakes and hover over the brake pedal.
I followed a car last week on a single carriage way road when it was dark and he or she would slow from about 45mph to about 20 every time a car was coming the way and would be on his/her brakes until the car was past.

When I was in my 60s I suffered from cataracts. I could still see pretty well most of the time - certainly well enough to pass a car test but… At night was different. Oncoming lights were just so dazzling I was totally blinded. I didn’t have to drive at night much so I got away with it until I had them sorted. The first sign you have them is this dazzle effect, then things start to look a bit misty.

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Saaamon:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Volvos are the best, was the 440 fwd? i had an 850r when i was 19, couple years later a 740 for a laugh and now have an 850 t5… Anyway, on the switch for the lights there is a screw type thing with a flat head slot in at the bottom right hand side, turning that changes the settings.

It was front wheel drive yes, maroon, and I treated it like ■■■■, it wouldn’t break it was a brilliant car :slight_smile:

Roymondo,
Think your wrong about fogs on during the day when clear ahead .
When I used to deliver to tesco Dundee they had a notice up on the drivers board . Warning of this and that it was a point (1) offence and fine (£60) it went on to quote the Law and sub section etc

Fallmonk:
Roymondo,
Think your wrong about fogs on during the day when clear ahead .
When I used to deliver to tesco Dundee they had a notice up on the drivers board . Warning of this and that it was a point (1) offence and fine (£60) it went on to quote the Law and sub section etc

That’s what I said - “you are only permitted to use them in conditions of seriously reduced visibility”. The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations make no mention at all of not using them in daytime.