Felixstowe

Ok, been doing containers for a few weeks now and on the whole it’s quite simple. But… someone walk me through dropping off a 40 and picking up 2 20’s. It’s probably a simple process but it’s stressing me out. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yer…

40 lifted in the empties park or if it’s export, the allocated slot.

You’re already set up for two 20s front and back. All you have to do is raise the centre pins/twistlocks to accomodate both boxes. Unless specified, the rears doors will face out and the front doors will face forward. You should be informed by your gaffer which box you want on the front or the back. Go to the appropriate slot numbers to get them droppped on.

Smile politely and wave like a very enthusiastic small child to the old bill as you exit the gate.

It’s the the loading on part. Making sure it’s on in the right place. If you load the front on first how do you know when you’re lined up for the back [emoji31][emoji31]

In the wet and dark…

In Felix, you need to be able turn head your through 180 degrees.

All you need to focus on when the lifter is dropping your back box is going backwards a few inches (or feet if your a long way off). Get roughly where you think you should be and go a little forwards from there. When the box comes down (the lifter will centre it for you ie; the lifter will aim for the twistlock you can see from your cab) all you have to do is gently reverse back until the lifter drops it onto your pin. There’s no rush, no prizes for doing it quick or slow. Get it dropped on all four the first time (going back for a re-lift is just a total pain in the arse). If only 3 have dropped onto the pins lock them down and drive to the gate, eventually the 4th corner will drop over too.

You will NEVER move a loaded box onto a pin with a scaffold bar, all you’ll do is bend your bar or put your back out.

NEVER lock the pins until the lifters gantry has gone, you’ll be dragged straight over.

In all the years I did Felix, I never came across any lifters who didn’t work with you. They’ll get the box about 6 inches over the pin you can see, it’s up to you to reverse back the foot or so. When it’s right, bingo the box gets dropped, the cab rocks all over the place, all the pens you thought you’d lost last week will appear and if it’s been raining the cab will get a good rinsing.

Happy miles ya box jockey!

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Make sure the trailer is stretched as far as it will go. (Position 4)

yourhavingalarf:
In all the years I did Felix, I never came across any lifters who didn’t work with you.

I have found quite a few on the last few visits I have done there !
Give me London Gateway ANY day of the week, never had a problem there, because there are no arrogant twonks to have to talk to in the first place :slight_smile:

Most important is to know how the boxes will be unloaded.
Ask your gaffer if the front and rear will be swapped after unloading rear box, or if you are dropping trailer and front being offloaded from front of trailer.
If the boxes are being swapped.
Your gate ticket will tell you the order to be loaded.
If you require doors to front of trailer you have to go the wrong way up the lanes, just be careful of John Wayne coming the opposite way.

For future reference if your getting a reefer.
Drive down the lane and look at your stack to see which way the doors are facing and again if needed go to the end of the lane spin round and go the wrong way up the lane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk