First time at felixstowe

So ,I start container work on Monday.Im looking forwsrd to it but just a bit worried about collecting from felixstowe.
Whats it like?

You’ll get lost and confused, will waste hours chasing problems, procedures, and PIN numbers, and endure meat-headed tear-arse box jockeys flashing you whilst driving 6 inches from your back doors as you’re trying to find your slot… at the speed limit. But after the first 10 visits you’ll begin to get the hang of it. Good luck.

Make sure your twist locks are unlocked before the crane comes to offload.
It’s fairly rare at Felixstowe, but make sure the doors of the box aren’t at the front when getting one put on. If they are you’ll have to turn the truck round. Don’t drive under the suspended box after you’ve turned round - drive round the outside of the crane back into the lane the other side of it. Reverse back under - the crane driver will sound his klaxon where you’re in the right position.
There’s a little kiosk type thing next to the crane wheels where there’s an intercom to talk to the crane driver.
Make sure the box you’ve picked up is seated properly on all 4 pins before giving the crane driver a thumbs up. Often you can ‘fix’ this by sharp accelerating or sharp braking in a straight line to jerk the box onto the pins.

Ok,thanks for that.Looking forward to learning the procedures

If you’re doing agency, check the weather forecast before accepting any container jobs to/from the ports. If the wind is forecast to be anything stronger than a light breeze, turn the job down as the port will shut down and you’ll be stuck there for days.

Felix…

Is a big place. There are maps of the quays and slot numbers as well as the empty park.

I can’t add a great deal more than what’s already been posted except. When your loading, you are expected to reverse the last foot or so under box itself. The lifter will lower your box until it’s a few inches above your front right pin. It’s then up to you to position the pin directly under the box. You may need to reverse or drive forward a few inches. The lifter will then swing the box onto the other pins. It sounds complicated but it’s not when you’ve done it once or twice. The regulars can judge exactly where the box will drop and hardly ever move. If only three corners have dropped on and you’ve driven off, the drive to the exit gate will always get the last one to drop on.

Shunters have the right of way, even when they don’t have the right of way. Do not mess with them, they get very grumpy very quickly.

You’ll need a RHIDES card

robthedog:
You’ll need a RHIDES card

Good point…

Also, if it’s been raining heavily, keep yer window closed as much as possibe.

Have a look on Youtube. Lots of vids of driving around mostly getting lost. You think you are the only one who is lost but truth is a lot of guys are lost too. You are not alone. Dont drive along the RTG lines ffs

I dont know what the RTG is.This is turning into my worst nightmare!

Sploom:

Rubber Tyre Gantry = the container cranes.

Sounds like a lovely place :open_mouth:

Sploom:

Chill out mate…

1000’s of lorries go in and out every day. They all had a first day too.

Book in.

Undo twisty’s.

Find empties park. (optional)

Shorten or lengthen if needed.

Find slot.

Load.

Drive to exit gate.

Do twisty’s.

Find lay-by go to sleep.

portoffelixstowe.co.uk/welcome-to-vbs/