Felixtowe procedures

Hello,

I’ve done a few felixtowe runs recently and would like to get some advice from you guys.
So far I’ve picked up a few containers from Pentalvers and Trinity Dock.
I’d like to know if I drop an empty box and pick up a loaded one from Trinity, where can you park safely and extend/shorten your skel?
And what is the exact procedure when you get a loaded box from RTGs?
Can you get out of the cab when the box is on the trailer and check the twistlocks?
In Pentavlers the rules are: Don’t leave your cab, but I’ve seen drivers who broke that rule.
And the RTG’s, you pull under the crane, wait, then RTG comes, what do you do? Do you put the truck in reverse, pull back slightly to get the container more or less aligned with the pins and let the crane operator do his job? One drive told me they are electronically controlled, but I doubt it, they might be to some degree but I reckon it is still down to the crane operator’s judgment.
Do you dump the air from the trailer?

Don’t get me wrong, I got the training from my company but my gaffer was on container work 20yrs ago. I’d like to get some advice from someone who does it on a daily basis and has got most up to date experience.

Thanks guys.

Regards,
Simon

Pull over anywhere to sort your trailer out everyone else does :unamused: nah only kidding there is no designated place just use your noodle and try and find somewhere safe. I normally pull up somewhere quiet eg no traffic rtgs etc. As for the Rtgs loading line it up as best as you can then move backwards or a forwards as required jump out to check if needed(45s can be a right pain.!!!) hope this helps…

thanks, mate
Has anyone got a detailed map of felixtowe docks and a guide on adjusting length of a rectractable trailer?

n17 trucker:
Pull over anywhere to sort your trailer out everyone else does :unamused: nah only kidding there is no designated place just use your noodle and try and find somewhere safe. I normally pull up somewhere quiet eg no traffic rtgs etc. As for the Rtgs loading line it up as best as you can then move backwards or a forwards as required jump out to check if needed(45s can be a right pain.!!!) hope this helps…

^^ This answers most of your questions.

Don’t bother waiting for a crane to move at Felix, they won’t, what they’ll do is beep and expect you to read their mind, get it as close when you pull into the box (use boxes next to you to line your pins up) and wait for him to come over, then when he’s nearly down have another look - hanging out of the door usually works.

I’ve never had to drop the air from my trailer, the crane driver will do that for you with 30t of box - if it was my own trailer though, I’d probably dump the air to try and save myself some money in the future.

Always watch to see what other drivers do, there’s a lot of rules and a lot that are ignored - don’t forget your hard hat at some places :smiling_imp:

newbie_trucker:
thanks, mate
Has anyone got a detailed map of felixtowe docks and a guide on adjusting length of a rectractable trailer?

You can get a map when you’re booking in.

what do you mean about a guide on adjusting trailer, they’re all different but as a rule all the way out to the last set of pin holes is 40’, next 1 back is 20’ and 45’ and then 30’ is the next 1 - very rare 30’ boxes.

BUT some run 45’s in the 40’ position, and some run 20’s in 3rd position, it depends on the design of the trailer, but it should be marked on it.

I think the electronics are more to line up with the stack rather than the truck, can’t see any Benifit in dumping air, if you do you would have to reset it before you can move, then you could be holding up progress.
I usually reconfigure the trailer either end of the rows between the rtg tracks.
If you take in a loaded 20’ and then picking up a forty leave the pins were they are and use the front pins to put it on, saves messing about.
Also you may have plenty of time to line up the truck with the stack before the RTG gets there, I have found that if I line up the front of the lift axle mudguard with the fifth half paving block from the white line I won’t be far off the mark.

“If you take in a loaded 20’ and then picking up a forty leave the pins were they are and use the front pins to put it on, saves messing about.”
Wouldn’t suggest you do this… It may be easier but the different configurations are there for a reason and I’m sure vosa will explain them to you when they stop you at the out gates …

when going around to load a box from a rtg heres what i do, might help.
i pull up at the designated location and stop, after a while you’ll just know when to stop and you’ll be virtually lined up with the box.
i get out and have a look, then just slighty move my truck so that the twistlocks are a tiny bit forward of being in line with the box.
this way you know that when the crane driver is lowering the box, you will need a small shunt back to get it all to line up.
some of the crane drivers are more helpful than others.

thank you guys, thats really helpful
i appreaciate it

i never know where exactly stop under rtg and usually im too far and have to reverse a bit.

i will try to line up the front of the tag axle mudgard with the line on the floor however im always scared that a container might hit the cab, especially 45footer.

thanks again

n17 trucker:
“If you take in a loaded 20’ and then picking up a forty leave the pins were they are and use the front pins to put it on, saves messing about.”
Wouldn’t suggest you do this… It may be easier but the different configurations are there for a reason and I’m sure vosa will explain them to you when they stop you at the out gates …

Would have nothing to do with vosa, the only configuration they would get exited with is, a loaded 20’ with the trailer closed!

weeto:

n17 trucker:

Would have nothing to do with vosa, the only configuration they would get exited with is, a loaded 20’ with the trailer closed!

Can’t confirm tnis is true, but I’m led to believe that a loaded 20 ft, on a trailer that is set up as a 40 ft is a big no, no with vosa? Anyone confirm?
However, an empty 20 ft, on a trailer set for a 40 ft is fine as crazy as that sounds!!!

You mean that chap…?

chilistrucker:

weeto:

n17 trucker:

Can’t confirm tnis is true, but I’m led to believe that a loaded 20 ft, on a trailer that is set up as a 40 ft is a big no, no with vosa? Anyone confirm?
However, an empty 20 ft, on a trailer set for a 40 ft is fine as crazy as that sounds!!!

Only a no no by manufacturer, not law, as long as axle weights are legal, there would be no problem.

weeto:

chilistrucker:

weeto:

n17 trucker:

Only a no no by manufacturer, not law, as long as axle weights are legal, there would be no problem.

What about construction and use design, braking etc…

Personally, for the effort, I always run in the correct position, it’s not worth worrying about

waynedl:

weeto:

chilistrucker:

weeto:

n17 trucker:

Personally, for the effort, I always run in the correct position, it’s not worth worrying about

There is nothing there to worry about, why would you think there would be, they only use the 20’ position to avoid damage to the trailer when carrying a 30 tonne 20’, and use the same hole for a 45’ to reduce overall vehicle length!
And an empty 20’ would be perfectly fine in the 40’ hole, since it is only 2200kgs.

Now, this is slightly off topic, but since I’ve just started on containers I’ve not yet experienced felixstowe yet. What is an RTG? :question: :confused:

RTG stands for rubber tyred gantry crane
type it in google and look at images

newbie_trucker:
RTG stands for rubber tyred gantry crane
type it in google and look at images

aka a lazy goit that will position himself to get a container, but not to put it on a trailer :unamused:

weeto:

waynedl:

weeto:

chilistrucker:

weeto:

n17 trucker:

There is nothing there to worry about, why would you think there would be, they only use the 20’ position to avoid damage to the trailer when carrying a 30 tonne 20’, and use the same hole for a 45’ to reduce overall vehicle length!
And an empty 20’ would be perfectly fine in the 40’ hole, since it is only 2200kgs.

Yes, I agree an empty 20’ would be fine, but the chances are you’ve just tipped a 20’, so when stretching it back out, you go to the stops and then reverse a bit, then pull the plunger or change the red airline and reverse the rest of the way, it’s no effort difference from setting it in the 40’ position?

waynedl:

weeto:

waynedl:

weeto:

chilistrucker:

weeto:

n17 trucker:

Yes, I agree an empty 20’ would be fine, but the chances are you’ve just tipped a 20’, so when stretching it back out, you go to the stops and then reverse a bit, then pull the plunger or change the red airline and reverse the rest of the way, it’s no effort difference from setting it in the 40’ position?

I think you worry too much!