Felixstowe Docks

I’m off up to felixstowe docks tomo (Tuesday), i’m picking up two empty 20ft containers from our yard, and taking them up for a 1300-1400 vbs.
I’ve never been into felixtowe docks with a container yet and was wondering if anyone could explain the process, also the do’s and don’ts, ie getting the cab when box is being lifted, stuff like that.
I work out of southampton all the time and have done alot of work out of seaforth docks in liverpool, so was wondering if things are done up in felsixstowe in a similiar manner to either of them?

firstly, do you have a RHIDES card?

if not, you will need to get a temp pass from the pass office at the back of the police station

the VBS time, you are allowed 30 mins either side of it

if you are having the boxes lifted in the RTG (gantry crane) area, you stay in the cab and you position the container to the spreader, the crane driver will lower the spreader down, and you will move either back or forwards to line the box up, if you are lifting in the fork park, just pull up to the slot number that you are advised of on the interchange report, and a container lifter will come up and lift off in the same way as the empty parks in southampton

if you get stuck, just ask any of the other drivers there, they will help, and contrary to popular belief, it is only the crane drivers that are a totally useless bunch if ignorant pieces of ■■■ in felixstowe :wink:

shuttlespanker:
firstly, do you have a RHIDES card?

if not, you will need to get a temp pass from the pass office at the back of the police station

the VBS time, you are allowed 30 mins either side of it

if you are having the boxes lifted in the RTG (gantry crane) area, you stay in the cab and you position the container to the spreader, the crane driver will lower the spreader down, and you will move either back or forwards to line the box up, if you are lifting in the fork park, just pull up to the slot number that you are advised of on the interchange report, and a container lifter will come up and lift off in the same way as the empty parks in southampton

if you get stuck, just ask any of the other drivers there, they will help, and contrary to popular belief, it is only the crane drivers that are a totally useless bunch if ignorant pieces of ■■■ in felixstowe :wink:

Cheers for the reply shuttlespanker.
No i dont have a Rhides card, so i take it i will have to go to the pass office first then.
Do i have to go to a Pre-Gate like in soton to collect the paperwork?

So when i’m unloading In the RTG area i have to line up with the spreader.

Go into docks through security gates and follow signs for the police station, as you will need the temp pass to get in. Once pass sorted head back to the in gates, you pull up under the canopy and the checker will write down box numbers etc and ask for vbs number. Then you go into the booking office give them your pass plus the booking slip that the checker gave you, you then need to tell him your pin for the box you are collecting. They then print of the interchange tickets you sign them and they give you a copy. It will say where you need to go for lift off normally w,x,y or z and there will be a slot number, drive round there wait in slot for lifter. Once boxes off you go round to lift on areas again it will say where ie c150, so find your slot and position yourself when box coming down from lifter. Then head on round to exit gates it is all sign posted in there. Get your gate pass and out through security.

Cheers for that ant2503.

ant2503:
Go into docks through security gates and follow signs for the police station, as you will need the temp pass to get in. Once pass sorted head back to the in gates, you pull up under the canopy and the checker will write down box numbers etc and ask for vbs number. Then you go into the booking office give them your pass plus the booking slip that the checker gave you, you then need to tell him your pin for the box you are collecting. They then print of the interchange tickets you sign them and they give you a copy. It will say where you need to go for lift off normally w,x,y or z and there will be a slot number, drive round there wait in slot for lifter. Once boxes off you go round to lift on areas again it will say where ie c150, so find your slot and position yourself when box coming down from lifter. Then head on round to exit gates it is all sign posted in there. Get your gate pass and out through security.

On the subject of this, make sure you dont just drive off as soon as the exit barrier is raised when leaving, this is not the sign to leave and will result in you having to turn around at the exit gate and having to drive all the way back around to get an exit pass!

On the subject of this, make sure you dont just drive off as soon as the exit barrier is raised when leaving, this is not the sign to leave and will result in you having to turn around at the exit gate and having to drive all the way back around to get an exit pass!
[/quote]
I did that me first time there, to be fair I did ask the guy checking the box if HE needed to see the paperwork, he said no HE didnt, the helpful ■■■■■■. :smiling_imp:

If this happens to you just turn around, park up as near to the exit gates as you can, walk back in and get your gate pass.

pm sent

and take a good book or laptop as if someone ■■■■■ in the dock they will close and you go sit on the old A45 levington road part like bad schoolgirls along with hato vans with there non stop flashing lights

jayeastanglia:
and take a good book or laptop as if someone ■■■■■ in the dock they will close and you go sit on the old A45 levington road part like bad schoolgirls along with hato vans with there non stop flashing lights

Who pays them to do that? Felixstowe Dock Company

havent a clue but most proberbly 50% dock company and rest tax payer.or they blame it on GOD (who is also the little hitler on dock gate 2 at times)
I know it mess up a lot of people who use the road when stack is in place