Why do so many people think WTD break = 30 mins per 6 hours?

I’ve just been lectured by one of the managers at newish job for taking a 15 and then a 30 later on (prior to 4.5 hours driving but after six hours working time had elapsed). He said I need to have had 30 mins by the six hour mark?

I’m right about this aren’t I? (hope so else I’ve got loads of bloody infringements by now!).

Tailschwing:
I’ve just been lectured by one of the managers at newish job for taking a 15 and then a 30 later on (prior to 4.5 hours driving but after six hours working time had elapsed). He said I need to have had 30 mins by the six hour mark?

I’m right about this aren’t I? (hope so else I’ve got loads of bloody infringements by now!).

You’re right. 15 minutes up to 6hrs. Might be company policy to have 30 minutes though.

Conor is right. They had it at the co-op but they also liked to insist it was the law as well.
I just went with it and did a 30 minute break followed by another 30 they never complained.

The problem is though if you work say 6 hours 30 minutes due to an early finish you still have take that extra 15 minute break. Soon as you go over that 6 hour mark you have to take a 30 minute break before the 9 hour mark.
So if your shift is 8 hours long you need to take a 30 minute break at-least.

Now I’m sure someone will come along and call BS on that and say you can use your daily rest as part of your break but it’s best to keep it simple.

adam277:
The problem is though if you work say 6 hours 30 minutes due to an early finish you still have take that extra 15 minute break. Soon as you go over that 6 hour mark you have to take a 30 minute break before the 9 hour mark.
So if your shift is 8 hours long you need to take a 30 minute break at-least.

^^^^^^This is probably the reason why most companies tell you a 30min break is required. Covers your backside in case you finish early and end up with an infringement. If you do finish early, but haven’t had enough break, you can always sit in the yard with your tacho on break for 15 minutes before taking your card out. Or as I have done in the past in this situation, just do a manual entry the following day showing a 15 min break before the end of my shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you work for 6 hours without hitting the 4 and a half driving you need a 30 continue to work up to the 4 and a half you will need to take another 30 to satisfy driving time this will also cover WTD

It could only be lorry drivers who complain when there bosses give them
A extra break , thank god im out
Of this game

Agreed. This bloke was telling me that I’d get an infringement for working over 6 hours without having had a 30.

hamish2017:
if you work for 6 hours without hitting the 4 and a half driving you need a 30 continue to work up to the 4 and a half you will need to take another 30 to satisfy driving time this will also cover WTD

This is wrong. You only need 15 then a 30 to satisfy EU and word rules.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

"Word’ should read wtd. Sorry auto correct in action

1968kg:

hamish2017:

It might be right if that’s what his employer told him though :laughing: :laughing:

We have WTD / driving hours and to make it even more convoluted employers like to make up their own rules/regs.

Agreed.

WTD is 15 mins break up to 6 hours work, if working over 6 and under 9 you need to show another 15 mins break so 30 in total then once your second break finishes you can’t work over 6 hours without showing another 15 mins break, that’s my understanding now anyway, I used to think that if u worked over 12 hours you had to show another 15 mins before the 12 hour mark but I was corrected on another thread [emoji1303]

Forget WTD break times or any other rest break, for me anybody who only has 15 in 6 wants their head looking at, 15 is barely time for a toilet break at MSA never mind having a cuppa as well. No medals given out for being over keen to impress the Boss.

adam277:

1968kg:

hamish2017:

It might be right if that’s what his employer told him though :laughing: :laughing:

We have WTD / driving hours and to make it even more convoluted employers like to make up their own rules/regs.

Yep, WTD and driving regs are totally different, driving hours law states that up to 4.5 hours driving you need to show breaks of at least 15 mins followed by 30 mins, or you can take 45 mins in one, or 30 and 30 if u wish but your first break has to be at least 15 mins and your second at least 30 mins minimum, WTD is 15 mins between 0-6 hours work and at least 30 minutes in total if you are working between 6-9 hours, after that you must start a 15 minute break before the next 6 hour stretch of work finishes, and you can only work up to 15 hours a day, 60 a week. Then the fixed or non fixed weekly rest periods and average hours over a 28 week period come into it but let’s not get involved in that [emoji23]

Sure, but it’s nice to be 100% clear on what the rules require then make sure your breaks fit in with the requirements.
To add to the original question Why do so many people think you need to take a break between 6 and 9 hours?

lolipop:
Forget WTD break times or any other rest break, for me anybody who only has 15 in 6 wants their head looking at, 15 is barely time for a toilet break at MSA never mind having a cuppa as well. No medals given out for being over keen to impress the Boss.

When you have time sensitive deliveries, KPI’s and service targets for your customer sometimes you have to take only 15 in 6 but with our company they always schedule in a full 45 break within 6 hours, but we work round that if we want and take our breaks when it is suitable for the time of day, next delivery and potential traffic conditions. After a while you start to work out where and when you can take your breaks whilst staying within the regs and still meeting the delivery slots

1968kg:
Sure, but it’s nice to be 100% clear on what the rules require then make sure your breaks fit in with the requirements.
To add to the original question Why do so many people think you need to take a break between 6 and 9 hours?

No idea, you just have to show a minimum of 30 mins break before 9 hours work and a minimum of 15 mins before 6 hours work so if you took a 30 mins break on say the 5 hour mark you can work up to the 11 hour mark before needing another 15 mins break

Chris Cooke:

lolipop:

When you have time sensitive deliveries, KPI’s and service targets for your customer sometimes you have to take only 15 in 6 but with our company they always schedule in a full 45 break within 6 hours, but we work round that if we want and take our breaks when it is suitable for the time of day, next delivery and potential traffic conditions. After a while you start to work out where and when you can take your breaks whilst staying within the regs and still meeting the delivery slots

To be honest though a lot of companies, including mine tell u in ur training that they advise to take a 15 between 0-6 and and a 30 between 6-9 which then covers your WTD and drivers hours and they say that is the safe way to not get an infringement, you soon work out your own way of doing things though depending on the route and time of day etc [emoji1303]

LEGAL WTD EXAMPLE where driving time does not go over 4.5 hours

work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 2 hrs
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

ROG:
LEGAL WTD EXAMPLE where driving time does not go over 4.5 hours

work 6 hrs