Why do so many people think WTD break = 30 mins per 6 hours?

lolipop:
Forget WTD break times or any other rest break, for me anybody who only has 15 in 6 wants their head looking at, 15 is barely time for a toilet break at MSA never mind having a cuppa as well. No medals given out for being over keen to impress the Boss.

Ding ding ding…

We have a winner.

lolipop:
Forget WTD break times or any other rest break, for me anybody who only has 15 in 6 wants their head looking at, 15 is barely time for a toilet break at MSA never mind having a cuppa as well. No medals given out for being over keen to impress the Boss.

Nobody in our office waits until their break to go to toilet, therefore I dont put it on break when I go to toilet. (Unless it suits me of course). Point of principle in my opinion.

Chris Cooke:
When you have time sensitive deliveries, KPI’s and service targets for your customer sometimes you have to take only 15 in 6 but with our company they always schedule in a full 45 break within 6 hours, but we work round that if we want and take our breaks when it is suitable for the time of day, next delivery and potential traffic conditions. After a while you start to work out where and when you can take your breaks whilst staying within the regs and still meeting the delivery slots

Seriously…

Get another job. Running around like an idiot trying to satisfy KPI targets? What is wrong with you? (wtf is a KPI anyway?)

Your breaks are at your discretion and shouldn’t be shoe-horned into your working day. They are there to protect you from running around like a blue arsed fly.

‘Where and when you can take your breaks’… ANYWHERE you ■■■■ well like at ANYTIME you ■■■■ well want.

Jeez.

yourhavingalarf:
(wtf is a KPI anyway?)

KPI = Key Performance Indicator

Are you not fluent in corporate speak ? :unamused: How have you survived so long ? :laughing:

manski:
How have you survived so long ? :laughing:

Quite possibly…

Stuborness, experience and luck. :smiley:

lolipop:

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER. Yep sod that 15 minutes crap. 30 or even 45 depending on how much of your 4.5hrs you have left and how long you expect your shift to be.

Chris Cooke:
WTD is 15 mins break up to 6 hours work, if working over 6 and under 9 you need to show another 15 mins break so 30 in total then once your second break finishes you can’t work over 6 hours without showing another 15 mins break, that’s my understanding now anyway, I used to think that if u worked over 12 hours you had to show another 15 mins before the 12 hour mark but I was corrected on another thread [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to throw a spanner in your works, you are wrong. It’s not 15 minutes break up to 6 hours work. If you work less than 6 hours work, even 30 seconds less than 6 hours, you need not take any break at all. What you meant to say is you cannot work for more than 6 hours without taking a break of at least 15 minutes.

Bring back 3 x 15min tacho breaks :smiling_imp:

Multi-drop used to fly by in those days :wink:

toonsy:
Bring back 3 x 15min tacho breaks :smiling_imp:

Multi-drop used to fly by in those days :wink:

And the rolling week, but get rid of 9hrs reduced rest.

As for wtd breaks, in a 12hr day, I take 15mins, then 30 at about 3.30hr driving then another 15 or 30 min after 3 hr drive, not had any infringement, and if needed a 45 to roll all driving hours for rest of day,. You could just use break every time you stop, sorted then. But those who drive for a numbty pointy blue Chip shoe over managed firm, you can’t do that…

yourhavingalarf:

Chris Cooke:
When you have time sensitive deliveries, KPI’s and service targets for your customer sometimes you have to take only 15 in 6 but with our company they always schedule in a full 45 break within 6 hours, but we work round that if we want and take our breaks when it is suitable for the time of day, next delivery and potential traffic conditions. After a while you start to work out where and when you can take your breaks whilst staying within the regs and still meeting the delivery slots

Seriously…

Get another job. Running around like an idiot trying to satisfy KPI targets? What is wrong with you? (wtf is a KPI anyway?)

Your breaks are at your discretion and shouldn’t be shoe-horned into your working day. They are there to protect you from running around like a blue arsed fly.

‘Where and when you can take your breaks’… ANYWHERE you ■■■■ well like at ANYTIME you ■■■■ well want.

Jeez.

Big +1.
I’m ■■■■ ed if I’d let anyone tell me when, or where for that matter, to take my break.
It’s there for the driver’s discretion and welfare, not for some ■■■■ in an office to get the most out of his drivers ffs. to make himself look good.

Drivers never cease to amaze me. :unamused:

I currently work 10-hour shifts in my box-jockey job. I start at 06.00 each morning and take a full 45 minute break in one block, which starts between 10.30 and 11.00 (for WTD and to reset drive time, which is usually 1 and half to 2 hours at this point in the day). Is this sufficient to cover the rest of the shift, break wise?

I’ve also heard from one driver that you have to split your break on some days in order to comply, rather than taking it all in one 45. Is this true or is he talking complete claptrap?

Sorry for my ignorance. :blush:

Garbo2018:
I currently work 10-hour shifts in my box-jockey job. I start at 06.00 each morning and take a full 45 minute break in one block, which starts between 10.30 and 11.00 (for WTD and to reset drive time, which is usually 1 and half to 2 hours at this point in the day). Is this sufficient to cover the rest of the shift, break wise?

I’ve also heard from one driver that you have to split your break on some days in order to comply, rather than taking it all in one 45. Is this true or is he talking complete claptrap?

If you’re finishing at 4 then what you’re doing is fine. The rules aren’t complicated though and you should know them, maybe spend some time learning them so you know for yourself when a split break might help?

Les Shoes:

Garbo2018:

If you’re finishing at 4 then what you’re doing is fine. The rules aren’t complicated though and you should know them, maybe spend some time learning them so you know for yourself when a split break might help?

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

adam277:

ROG:
LEGAL WTD EXAMPLE where driving time does not go over 4.5 hours

work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 2 hrs
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

Think you made a mistake ROG. :open_mouth:

Where :question:

Which WTD rule has been broken in my example :question: - I guarantee none have :smiley:

According to your scenario you can work 11/12 hours with just a fifteen minute break.

adam277:
According to your scenario you can work 11/12 hours with just a fifteen minute break.

As long as you don’t go over 4.5 hours driving time you can, I’m not saying it’s a good idea but legally you can.

You can do 7.5 hours work then 4.5 hours driving with just 15 minutes break but you cannot legally do 4.5 hours driving then 5 minutes paperwork without a 45 minute break after the driving :confused: :smiley:

I have always made sure I have 15 at some point before the 6 hour mark (but usually a few hours into my shift as I stop for breakfast) then just make sure I have another 30 before I hit 9/4.5hrs driving/the next six hour mark (whichever comes first) . Easy peasy.

My job is a lot of hanging around in places though, so the best policy is just to bang it on break whenever your on a bay being tipped/loaded. That covers you. Then just stop during the day when you please. Depends how paranoid you are about DVSA hanging about outside RDCs ‘busting’ people though :unamused:

tachograph:

adam277:

As long as you don’t go over 4.5 hours driving time you can, I’m not saying it’s a good idea but legally you can.

You can do 7.5 hours work then 4.5 hours driving with just 15 minutes break but you cannot legally do 4.5 hours driving then 5 minutes paperwork without a 45 minute break after the driving :confused: :smiley:

fudge it.
I know where I went wrong.
I assumed for some reason you have to take a break between the 6-9, 9-12 hour mark. But the clock resets on working time for every 6 hour period. Even though you still have to take a break in that time if you do work a shift of 9 hours or 12 hours…

bah its not simple. I don’t care what anyone says even if the rules themselves are simple.

Sorry ROG but your example proves how stupid the WTD rules are to be fair.

adam277:
[
bah its not simple. I don’t care what anyone says even if the rules themselves are simple.

If less than 6 hours worked. No break required.
If between 6 and 9 hours worked. 30 minutes total break required.
If over 9 hours worked. 45 minutes total break required.
You must not work longer than 6 hours without a break.
Breaks must be at least 15 minutes.

Seems fairly simple to me. What doesn’t help is idiotic companies making you fill out questionnaires like this :unamused:

And yes, I gave the correct answer :grimacing:

Garbo2018:

If your finishing at 4 its fine
For example you take a 45 min break 1100-1145 your then covered till 1745
Say you finished later then 1745 then another 15 min break is required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk