WTD

Hi All
If i did 5 hrs other work and 1 hr 30 mins driving how would i go about having 30 min break for WTD. I am aware that if i had 30 mins break after 6 hrs 30 mins on duty this would mean that i would be having the break the wrong way round e.g. 30 mins then a 15 mins. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks all in advance for reply’s

JJ

After 6:30 hours work just take 45 you’ve earned it

jonjoe:
Hi All
If i did 5 hrs other work and 1 hr 30 mins driving how would i go about having 30 min break for WTD. I am aware that if i had 30 mins break after 6 hrs 30 mins on duty this would mean that i would be having the break the wrong way round e.g. 30 mins then a 15 mins. I hope this makes sense.

JJ

Oh dear, you are very confused.

For the WTD you should have had 15 minutes before reaching 6 hours work.

You are trying to confuse the drivers hours regulation with something else.

You only have to worry about the order of a break before exceeding 4h.30m driving

jonjoe:
Hi All

JJ

You could (should) have taken a 15 minute break before the completion of your six hours of working to comply with the Working Time Directive. If that break had been taken in the last hour (when you were driving) it could also have been the first part of a split driving break - you would have needed to take the remaining 30 minutes by the end of 4 hrs 30 minutes hours of driving.

It may be simpler if you try to think of the two sets of regulations as seperate things that can be combined…

Based upon your example, here are two possibilities:

1. Work 4 hours - take a 15 minute break - continue working and then driving.
  2. Work 5 hours, drive 45 minutes - take a 15 minute break - continue driving. In this case you would be due a 30 minute break after (or within) a further 3 hrs 45 minutes driving.

The regulations are ‘in line’ in so much as (in example 2 above) the 15 minutes covers both breaks (WTD and EU driving regs).

So 15 minutes in six hours of any work (other work or driving),
45 minutes (or 15 + 30) in 4 hrs 30 minutes of driving.

At that, would you believe, is the simplest way I can think of explaining it.

Alan