Damage to wall of tyre

I had a chunk of rubber missing from the wall of my tyre yesterday, but it was only about 3mm depth, I wasn’t sure whether to call the tyre man or not. How deep can the hole be before its deemed to be dangerous?

Sploom:
I had a chunk of rubber missing from the wall of my tyre yesterday, but it was only about 3mm depth, I wasn’t sure whether to call the tyre man or not. How deep can the hole be before its deemed to be dangerous?
[/quote]

too many answers to that… :unamused:

3mm depth is no worries to be honest, rule of thumb is as long as no cords are exposed the tyre is ok

Any sidewall damage is considered an MOT failure, or that’s what I’ve always been told.

Darkside:

Sploom:
[/quote]

too many answers to that… :unamused:

3mm depth is no worries to be honest, rule of thumb is as long as no cords are exposed the tyre is ok

As soon as the wall is damage the integrity of that tyre has gone. Therefore should be changed… I assume you drive your personal car around like this?.

Take the risk of a blow out if you want its your choice, but for me a damaged wall or any damage is a NO NO on any motor
In any doubts you should have played safe and got it sorted

No, I don’t drive my car like that!

I called the tyre man, and he put some rubber paste type stuff in it, it’s hard to imagine that would make much difference.

Thanks for the replies

mardybum:
Any sidewall damage is considered an MOT failure, or that’s what I’ve always been told.

You’ve been told wrong. Its only if the chord is exposed.

Sploom:

Until you see the chords or metal bands. The outer rubber layer is literally just a protective layer for the metal bands that form the structural part of the sidewall.

Only problem if metal cords are showing. As Conor said the rubber you see is mostly protective rather than structural

switchlogic:
Only problem if metal cords are showing. As Conor said the rubber you see is mostly protective rather than structural

I agree with that from a legal or MoT perspective - BUT from my own POV if the sidewall of the tyre has hit something with sufficient force to tear or cut a chunk out of it, there’s a strong possibility of structural damage inside. So, the question you’ve got to ask yourself is “Do I feel lucky?” (which loosely translates as “Is it a Friday/have I got one of those days where I really needed to be down the road half an hour ago?”).

There are a lot of “parts” used in the construction of a Radial tyre. Do you feel lucky punk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

switchlogic:

I agree with that from a legal or MoT perspective - BUT from my own POV if the sidewall of the tyre has hit something with sufficient force to tear or cut a chunk out of it, there’s a strong possibility of structural damage inside. So, the question you’ve got to ask yourself is “Do I feel lucky?” (which loosely translates as “Is it a Friday/have I got one of those days where I really needed to be down the road half an hour ago?”).

Impact damage that’d result in a blowout would reveal itself as a bulge or divot in the sidewall. A chunk missing or a cut/slice usually involves a very low speed contact with something like a kerb or lump of wood/brick or other debris at a collection or delivery point. That won’t do damage enough to cause a sidewall failure.

Roymondo:

switchlogic:

■■■■■ 3mm no problem crack on