Landmarks on the horizon

Do you ever look at distant landmarks miles away when you’re driving, or is it just me!
I know one, you can see the NEC, when you are on the M6 South Wolverhampton, it looks like a big castle on the horizon

Sploom:
Do you ever look at distant landmarks miles away when you’re driving, or is it just me!
I know one, you can see the NEC, when you are on the M6 South Wolverhampton, it looks like a big castle on the horizon

Years back I remember seeing the Penshaw Monument near Houghton-le-spring (to the left of A19, I think): looked like the Parthenon in Athens, but black stone instead of white.

I remember when I was on nights seeing a moon over Doncaster, it seemed blooming miles away but the following night I was at Derby and believe it or not I saw another one! :open_mouth:

Pete.

I always do the same.

Driving along the m27 travelling west around the port Solent area .
When.you look to your right theres quite high ground.
On top of which I can only describe as light blue metal work.up there. Reminds me of.ship funnels and a ship.
But surely it can’t Be? Every time I see it in.the distance I wonder what it is

The radio masts at Crick always meant home wasn’t far away. Now they’ve gone I use the chimney stack from Rugby Cement :laughing:

I’ve always wondered, there’s loads of lights on the horizon M1 South, as you pass the A50 leicester, are those lights Magna park, or in the day, you can see a big white long warehouse, I’m still trying to figure out where it is

edd1974:
Driving along the m27 travelling west around the port Solent area .
When.you look to your right theres quite high ground.
On top of which I can only describe as light blue metal work.up there. Reminds me of.ship funnels and a ship.
But surely it can’t Be? Every time I see it in.the distance I wonder what it is

It is a sort of, part of, a ship…
Radar etc development station.
They reproduced the superstructure in ships to test out new radar sets. Cheaper than a real ship, and being on the crest of a ridge there is nothing around to interfere with it.
Interesting “back-to-front” Napoleonic era forts built near there too.

Durham university did a streetview style virtual walk thru of the Penshaw Monument several years ago but I can’t find a like to it

I do.like to sight see when driving am a nosey so n so.
Mainly through car windows if in traffic.
And really gets me the amount of people with phones on there lap and headphones in there ears.

But I do like to admire the scenery see what the world has to offer.
Plus I find after a while I’ll pass certain landmarks and think yes I know this been here bwfore and helps.me recognise places more

M25 anti clock as you come down the hill by J26 , on a clear day the arch over Wembley Arena is visible.

I have also seen UK Tramps Fridge Engineers certificate from the dark side of the moon…honest!

Heading North on the A1M to tyneside we’ve got Penshaw then the Angel, my young granddaughter ( who lives in Berkshire) came up with a new one a few years ago. She knew she was only an hour from us when she saw “the Carrot of the North” her name for the windsock at RAF Dishforth. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Great stuff. I’ll look out for these things when I’m on the road

Here’s 1 that I would to know if others know of it or
Is just my family

M56 just before you get to Chester the profile of the hill to the left looks like a giant lieing on his back. Perfect profile of his face and a little lump where his feet would be. It’s actually not as prominent now as was when were kids.

heading north on the m6 past charnock coming down the hill i always look over to see if i can see blackpool tower away on the left.
sometimes you can,sometimes not,

when im heading down for the dover boat or train,i cant help myself looking for spitfires and fokkers…( even if the fokkers are flying messerschmitts) .

if your going on or off the p&o cairnryan,as its doing the handbrake 360 turn,if you look over the top of the last bungalow,you can see how the garden is marked out to look like the view from a ships bridge to the point of the bow.
i think it was a retired captains house at one time.

Some of the smaller obscure monuments tend to catch my eye, there are several small obelisks around the country that only just catch the eye
Edit: there’s one of these next to the A1 just before it splits for the A14, others inc next to the SB A74, and near barnard castle on the A66

dieseldog999:
heading north on the m6 past charnock coming down the hill i always look over to see if i can see blackpool tower away on the left.
sometimes you can,sometimes not,

when im heading down for the dover boat or train,i cant help myself looking for spitfires and fokkers…( even if the fokkers are flying messerschmitts) .

if your going on or off the p&o cairnryan,as its doing the handbrake 360 turn,if you look over the top of the last bungalow,you can see how the garden is marked out to look like the view from a ships bridge to the point of the bow.
i think it was a retired captains house at one time.

OK. I Will be on that boat the end of the month, I’ll look out for that

Yes because I’m curious! No! Not like that, just curious about things I see. Also, I quite often look at an undisturbed landscape and think about all the people over the last thousand years (approx lol) that have been exactly where I am at that particular location and looked at exactly what I’m looking at now which is as it’s always been forever.
Sad I know [emoji57]

It’s funny, I think like that when I’m on the London underground, I think of all them stations have got stories to tell, maybe someone went meet the girl he wanted, but then found she married someone else, he’s heartbroken, history repeating itself over and over again…

I can see the Wrotham Hill mast from my house. Coming home eastwards along the M25 around J7-J6 is when I first get a glimpse from about 20 miles west… A reminder I’m on the “last leg home” for me.

Coming down the hill M25 J26 approach - I used to notice Alexandra Palace’s mast on the roof, but I think this has been dismantled now.

Coming up the M1 near Kegworth - the cooling towers…! All gone now.

Ditto Riceborough in kent, the cooling towers visible from Thanet Way, miles away…

Grain & Kingsnorth Chimney stacks, along with the twin Tilbury stacks - all gone.

The big one near the dartford crossing - is also soon to come down, as I understand it.

Then there’s the “chalk drawing” landmarks, like the Regiment Badges near Salisbury…

Let’s hope the chalk monuments & tributes - stay there for years to come.