DSVA clamp down on company that continually overload vans

Check out this feed, and see the fines given out. https://twitter.com/DVSAEnforcement/status/1128708735591956480?s=20&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn

I guess when they got caught the the first time they thought they’d never get stopped again. :blush:

Nice to know someone is doing their job…and a nice deterrent as well with the big fines…just shows the drivers never had a clue and couldnt care less…

Surprised they haven’t cottoned onto this earlier a couple of hours outside any cash and carry will net them a few grand would get a few cars too

I’ve never understood why DVSA don’t sit outside the local gravel pit and check every transit tipper that comes out. Ask any labourer and they’re brainwashed into thinking they can carry 1.5 or 2t payload.

I can’t believe that there are people out there who think it’s ok to drive a 46% overload,ffs :open_mouth:

Muckaway:
I’ve never understood why DVSA don’t sit outside the local gravel pit and check every transit tipper that comes out. Ask any labourer and they’re brainwashed into thinking they can carry 1.5 or 2t payload.

True as that is, isnt there complicity on the part of those who do the loading? Gravel pits all have weighbridges dont they? And they sell the stuff by weight, shouldn`t they be required to see plating weight of vehicle they are loading?
Maybe the same should happen at builders merchants too? Maybe no weighbridge there, but packs of bricks, blocks, or pallets of cement are of known weights.

I do wonder if some people think because they drive a van they are exempt from loading regs.

Am also tempted to wonder whether this operation was running from another country with drivers from elsewhere in the UK getting paid pittance and easily expendable. Likely no insurances either.

trevHCS:
I do wonder if some people think because they drive a van they are exempt from loading regs.

Am also tempted to wonder whether this operation was running from another country with drivers from elsewhere in the UK getting paid pittance and easily expendable. Likely no insurances either.

I think most just are completely oblivious I know I was when I first started driving at least. I remember getting my first driving job at 18 driving a 3.5t Luton van and driving to a shop strip out job in Cambridge. All the stuff loaded was to be taken to the scrap yard and weighed in (air handling units+ A/C condensers), I pulled on the weigh bridge weighing almost 6 ton!

maga:

trevHCS:

I think most just are completely oblivious I know I was when I first started driving at least. I remember getting my first driving job at 18 driving a 3.5t Luton van and driving to a shop strip out job in Cambridge. All the stuff loaded was to be taken to the scrap yard and weighed in (air handling units+ A/C condensers), I pulled on the weigh bridge weighing almost 6 ton!

Nope. Most of these removal guys are overloaded every time they load a luton.

I remember breaking down in a merc luton and the recovery boy turned up for tow. Had a look and said il go pick up the lorry mate im guessing your about 5 or 6 tonne. Its a regular thing in the removals game

with a 3.5 ton sprinter then the general rule is that it means a 3.5 ton payload.

Franglais:
True as that is, isnt there complicity on the part of those who do the loading? Gravel pits all have weighbridges dont they? And they sell the stuff by weight, shouldn`t they be required to see plating weight of vehicle they are loading?
Maybe the same should happen at builders merchants too? Maybe no weighbridge there, but packs of bricks, blocks, or pallets of cement are of known weights.

The quarries I used to load out of would ask the driver if they could legally carry the weight they were wanting to load. I know one builder who ran one of those Fusos plated at 5t mgw or thereabouts used to have fun persuading the ticket monkey that they could actually carry 2t legally.

We got some work out of a company who were running chicken into Glasgow, 3 ton on the back of a Sprinter van. Three times they got caught before the penny dropped. Good money for us taking it up on an 18 tonner every night though!

On my new 12t truck ,which is the same size as a 7.5t we had fitted a Axtex axle weight check ,its a eye opener I can tell you !!! and I been in the game for a long time ,getting household effects on safely and within the axle weights is hard work .

I think it is a good idea for having vehicles with a system to detect the weight of the load, and it certainly helps the driver to make sure they do not make mistakes and be overloaded

After all, our licenses were expensive to get were they

Saratoga:
I think it is a good idea for having vehicles with a system to detect the weight of the load, and it certainly helps the driver to make sure they do not make mistakes and be overloaded

After all, our licenses were expensive to get were they

The systems have been around for years but as with all things that can make a drivers job safer and compliant with the law, they cost money and so will not be specced as standard even though the fines for overloading would soon cover the cost.

Mazzer2:
The systems have been around for years but as with all things that can make a drivers job safer and compliant with the law, they cost money and so will not be specced as standard even though the fines for overloading would soon cover the cost.

If the bosses and the companies were responsible for those fines Then I’m sure they would install them much quicker

If there is a weighbridge involved then the operator of sad bridge is contravening the terms of his licence if he allows overweight vehicles to leave the premises.

alamcculloch:
If there is a weighbridge involved then the operator of sad bridge is contravening the terms of his licence if he allows overweight vehicles to leave the premises.

Incorrect. The legal position for chargeable weighbridges is summed up on Devon & Somerset Trading Standards website:

"Whilst not strictly a matter for a certificated weighbridge operator we would expect an operator to have a basic knowledge of vehicle weights. If, having weighed a vehicle, a weighbridge operator suspects the weights to be in excess of that permitted for the vehicle on the highway they should draw the driver’s attention to the weight record. Further, the ticket should be marked ‘vehicle possibly overloaded’.

A weighbridge operator does not have authority to:

Withhold the weighbridge ticket.
Prevent the vehicle leaving."

Mazzer2:
Surprised they haven’t cottoned onto this earlier a couple of hours outside any cash and carry will net them a few grand would get a few cars too

Any of the establishments that are run by our forgien friends that supply fast food/ cafes / restaurant/ chicken/kebab / pizza nearly every car/van that leaves is overloaded, then there would be those without rent and rates and driving licence, be like shooting fish in a barrel… But they won’t because dvsa would need the police to assist when it kicks off,