A bridge has been hit again.!

leicestermercury.co.uk/news … ts-2786496

Happened yesterday.

According to article is one of most commom.hit bridges in the UK.
Surley there must be a reason. Can’t all be down to bad drivers.
Maybe they should install a height beam. Ont them thing’s with chains bells on before the bridge.
Or maybe consider changing the road loayout make it a 6ft6 width limit.
Yes it would be a pain for all the decent drivers out there.

edd1974:
Maybe they should install a height beam. Ont them thing’s with chains bells on before the bridge.

I was told on a cpc course once that network rail charge £150 per minute to the company that strikes any of their bridges…ouch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edd1974:

This particular…

Bridge is ‘protected’ by overheight vehicle warning signs. They flash up if the outfit your driving is too tall for the bridge. Anyone who ignores them is just an idiot there’s no other explanation I can think of. Even if you don’t use English as your first language, flashing lights mean something’s not right somewhere.

You can’t turn the A5 into a 6’ 6" limit, half the midlands would grind to a halt. Besides, anyone who ignores height restrictions and flashing warning signs probably won’t pay any attention to a width limit.

It is down to ■■■■ drivers.

It’s no8 in the hit parade, according to network rail.

how much moey would installing these low cost options be…no more needed to target the blame where its deserved.

how much money would installing these low cost options be…no more needed to target the blame where its deserved.

cabbage warning alert.jpg

dieseldog999:
how much money would installing these low cost options be…no more needed to target the blame where its deserved.

All the big bright warnings in the world won’t work because the driver knows it’s a low bridge but he’s forgotten all about the vehicle’s height.Not helped by having trucks designed to be driven like the simplest denominator of cars.

The over head hanging sign might work so long as it’s heavy enough to create the required BANG !!! so there can be no doubt the driver knows that he’s hit it. :wink:

While lower longer vehicles would also help.

yourhavingalarf:

edd1974:

This particular…

Bridge is ‘protected’ by overheight vehicle warning signs. They flash up if the outfit your driving is too tall for the bridge. Anyone who ignores them is just an idiot there’s no other explanation I can think of. Even if you don’t use English as your first language, flashing lights mean something’s not right somewhere.

You can’t turn the A5 into a 6’ 6" limit, half the midlands would grind to a halt. Besides, anyone who ignores height restrictions and flashing warning signs probably won’t pay any attention to a width limit.

It is down to [zb] drivers.

I know but, the warnings are coming on even when you are the correct height, or sometimes, the warning lights are stuck on continuously

dieseldog999:

Actually putting one there in theory would be easy and cheap. In fact, save perhaps for making the actual sign itself, a group of us could actually install them. I doubt the authorities however can just whack together a sign and install it-they would probably need to also cost up risk assesments (for the people installing the item, and also people who will be using the road/pavements etc. once the item is installed - could it block the view of something for road users?), compliance(sign would need to meet certain guidelines: font, text size, reflective material etc.), who pays for it (railways-its their bridge,highways-it’s their road, haulage companies-they’re the ones hitting the bridge), road closures/traffic management (while the item is being installed), liability (truck hits sign in the same fashion many drivers hit the bridge - i.e. flat out and oblivious. Sign/barrier/steel bar comes off and debris hits a person/vehicle, goes through someone’s living room window etc).

So yes, it would be cheap, if it were not for the additional costs which go alongside it - a scenario which can be applied to many situation of daily life where it is impossible to get even a simple task done.

How about adding a new code and offence to your licence?
Instead of a “due care” charge you could have a bridgestrike charge, same punishment but a code on your licence for the same length of time as a drunk or dangerous code.
If some company is happy to give you a job with that on your licence then they get what they, no doubt, barely pay for… :smiling_imp:

Carryfast:

dieseldog999:

All the big bright warnings in the world won’t work because the driver knows it’s a low bridge but he’s forgotten all about the vehicle’s height.Not helped by having trucks designed to be driven like the simplest denominator of cars.

The over head hanging sign might work so long as it’s heavy enough to create the required BANG !!! so there can be no doubt the driver knows that he’s hit it. :wink:

While lower longer vehicles would also help.

Should be given an automatic one month’s ban and 6 points on your licence. Wouldn’t forget to think in 3D then would he?

It’s not hard. CHECK THE BLOODY HEIGHT before moving off you muppets! When you come to a bridge think height and width and only when you are sure you can get under it proceed. It’s as stupid as smashing into parked cars when passing them in the street. No sympathy.

Seriously, again? Don’t they realise yet?

There’s a top ten now■■?

New in at number 3 this week, STOBARTS!! With a new hit!

I.dont know this bridge.
But is the divert around it Easy?
Is it signposted well enough?
As one of my biggest bug bears is I get to a junction/roundabout exit I want has sign low bridge I know I won’t fit under.
Where do I go which exit do I try.
They should have very prominent signs at all low bridges with an alternative route.
I know some do. But I’ve come across a lot then it’s a case of take an exit and hope it takes me where I’m going.

You can through Hinckley but it’s not straightforward, there’s another low bridge there too, you need to know the route through in order to avoid that bridge, there’s only one way, at least I only know one way

KarlM:

dieseldog999:

Actually putting one there in theory would be easy and cheap. In fact, save perhaps for making the actual sign itself, a group of us could actually install them. I doubt the authorities however can just whack together a sign and install it-they would probably need to also cost up risk assesments (for the people installing the item, and also people who will be using the road/pavements etc. once the item is installed - could it block the view of something for road users?), compliance(sign would need to meet certain guidelines: font, text size, reflective material etc.), who pays for it (railways-its their bridge,highways-it’s their road, haulage companies-they’re the ones hitting the bridge), road closures/traffic management (while the item is being installed), liability (truck hits sign in the same fashion many drivers hit the bridge - i.e. flat out and oblivious. Sign/barrier/steel bar comes off and debris hits a person/vehicle, goes through someone’s living room window etc).

So yes, it would be cheap, if it were not for the additional costs which go alongside it - a scenario which can be applied to many situation of daily life where it is impossible to get even a simple task done.

You’re absolutely right; and according to a friend of mine who’s spent his working life as a civil engineer, if a railway is even remotely involved you have to multiply the costs and time taken by at least ten.

Sploom:
I know but, the warnings are coming on even when you are the correct height, or sometimes, the warning lights are stuck on continuously

If you…

Know the height of your trailer then you don’t need anything other than the designated height of the bridge your trying to get under. I’ve come across many bridges I couldn’t get under, none of them had warning lights but, I didn’t hit them because I used my grey matter and either crawled under with my head out of the window or backed up and went another way.

I don’t need flashing lights to tell me that my 15 foot trailer won’t go under a 14 foot bridge.

matto75:

edd1974:

I was told on a cpc course once that network rail charge £150 per minute to the company that strikes any of their bridges…ouch!!

Do you have to call them on a 0906 number then?

“You’ve busted my bridge have you? Oooh you naughty boy! It’s pants-down for you, and time to get what’s coming… I’ve got a really whippy one here - and it’s just for you!”