Stop hitting bridge

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le … e-38770146

I know it shouldnt happen, but if bridges are getting hit that often its maybe time to look at extra features like chains or even auto signs. Has to be cheaper than checking the bridge and the delays?

Out of interest, if you hit a bridge does it add points to your licence under driving without due care or similar?

they should put up some of those led signes, it might wake people up a bit

5 year driving ban would sort it, with another HGV test after it.
It would temporarily get a lot of the f/whit crew away from us for a while at least.
I don’t know about you lot, but I even read bridge heights when driving my car. :unamused: , it just comes naturally.

Having just done my class 1, I think an extended retest would be a genuinely great idea as anyone insane enough to want to do that twice should be instantly banned for life on grounds of insanity.

This esp counts when they are given visual warnings proor to hitting it.

What we need is…

Some sort of national qualification taken, every five years or so. It could educate drivers on hours rules, vehicle dimensions, highway code rulings and safety information etc.

Then this bridge ■■■■■■■■ would stop overnight.

yourhavingalarf:
What we need is…

Some sort of national qualification taken, every five years or so. It could educate drivers on hours rules, vehicle dimensions, highway code rulings and safety information etc.

Then this bridge [zb] would stop overnight.

Why would that work, the CPC doesn’t? :open_mouth:

What we will get instead is electronic sensors that do their best to throw you through the windsceen when it goes wrong… :unamused:

Fine the operator £50k, reduced to £5k if they can prove that the driver had received sufficient training.

Or make anything over 15ft a vocational licence, like adr for example, to show they are competent. Stops agency drivers with wet ink gettislung the keys and told to get on with it. You should be paid more to pull them anyway in my mind.

OVLOV JAY:
Fine the operator £50k, reduced to £5k if they can prove that the driver had received sufficient training.

Or make anything over 15ft a vocational licence, like adr for example, to show they are competent. Stops agency drivers with wet ink gettislung the keys and told to get on with it. You should be paid more to pull them anyway in my mind.

I think you may need to make that 14ft going by the BBC’s example! :laughing:

I’m sure Maritme were chuffed to bits to be chosen…
There you go, it’s not always the green death! :wink:

OVLOV JAY:

Sufficient training? :laughing:

What lessons in recognising that 12 is a smaller number than 14 :laughing: ?

Freight Dog:

OVLOV JAY:

Pretty much, seeing as many offenders are used to metric signage :wink:

OVLOV JAY:

Freight Dog:

OVLOV JAY:

Pretty much, seeing as many offenders are used to metric signage :wink:

You can’t say that, that’s “imperialist”. You’re persecuting mectricians. I think we should all talk about it and organise group cuddling events to understand other’s personal choices of measurement. :laughing:

robroy:
It would temporarily get a lot of the f/whit crew away from us for a while at least.
I don’t know about you lot, but I even read bridge heights when driving my car. :unamused: , it just comes naturally.

I’d go further Rob and take the license off then altogether, there’s absolutely no excuse!!!

One of ours hit one last week in Reading, luckily minimal damage to both truck and bridge, but lost the company a shift for 3 trucks and 6 men, plus extra work for all involved in it due to the reporting we had to do, and not good when a co that works on the railway hits a bridge with on of their trucks :blush: :blush: Also got him self drugs and alcohol checked (no work for a week while the final results come back) as they deemed it to be a railway incident.

This one shows that some people are beyond training though. He’s in the army and is one of our part time operators.I was following in my van, he went past 2 normal signs and a flashing over height one, pulled up at the lights and I thought he was going to back into a side road so got out to guide him in, but before I could he set off under the bridge. Luckily, the main part of the truck was low enough, it was just part of the plant that got caught and was ripped off on the concrete bridge. He had a brain fade and was following google maps. The other 2 trucks for the job had truck sat navs and got to the job avoiding the bridge (Access just other side of bridge)

Our planner asked my opinion, and I told him he just had a blonde moment. Not heard the outcome from the boss, but he’ll be lucky to keep working for us as the boss went mental when he was told, be a pity as he’s a good operator and helpful.

Henrys cat:

robroy:

I’d go further Rob and take the license off then altogether, there’s absolutely no excuse!!!

Our planner asked my opinion, and I told him he just had a blonde moment. Not heard the outcome from the boss, but he’ll be lucky to keep working for us as the boss went mental when he was told, be a pity as he’s a good operator and helpful.

So actually because you know the guy you don’t want him to loose his job but when it’s someone else and you read about it online they should loose their license?

Some drivers are switched on and proactive , others are reactive, and wait for things to happen before they respond. I wonder if they are the same drivers on here saying the job is a piece of ■■■■?

yourhavingalarf:
What we need is…

Then this bridge [zb] would stop overnight.

like DCPC. :grimacing:

mrginge:

Henrys cat:

robroy:

So actually because you know the guy you don’t want him to loose his job but when it’s someone else and you read about it online they should loose their license?

Where did I say that he shouldn’t lose his job? I just said he had a blonde moment, and he was a good operator. There was no excuse for what he did, the truck was clearly marked up and he had plenty of warning. And I told him my feelings on this and told the supervisor too later.

Driver-Once-More:
Network Rail urges drivers to stop hitting low bridge - BBC News

Archbolds have a depot not far from that bridge,in Nuneaton.you’d think their drivers would be aware of it ffs

I suspect the majority of cases of bridge strikes involve the use of sat nav, looking at the screen and missing the signs.

Henrys cat:

robroy:

One of ours hit one last week in Reading, luckily minimal damage to both truck and bridge, but lost the company a shift for 3 trucks and 6 men, plus extra work for all involved in it due to the reporting we had to do, and not good when a co that works on the railway hits a bridge with on of their trucks :blush: :blush: Also got him self drugs and alcohol checked (no work for a week while the final results come back) as they deemed it to be a railway incident.

This one shows that some people are beyond training though. He’s in the army and is one of our part time operators.I was following in my van, he went past 2 normal signs and a flashing over height one, pulled up at the lights and I thought he was going to back into a side road so got out to guide him in, but before I could he set off under the bridge. Luckily, the main part of the truck was low enough, it was just part of the plant that got caught and was ripped off on the concrete bridge. He had a brain fade and was following google maps. The other 2 trucks for the job had truck sat navs and got to the job avoiding the bridge (Access just other side of bridge)

Keyword, Army.