Trampers of TruckNet: What would you consider to be

… fair take home pay for a weeks work? Are you more concerned with the overall take home pay or the hourly rate? Finally do you consider your night out allowance as part of your take home pay in my first question?

Let’s assume you’re Monday-Friday with 4 nights out and an average of 60-65 hours a week. I know theres a regional variance so I’m especially interested in the Midlands.

I’m fairly new and still in my first tramping gig. I do keep one eye open in regards to job advertisements so hopefully this will give me and some other members an idea of what to look out for pay wise

I feel you should measure a “fair wage” against a multitude of considerations and only one of them actually being the money.

For example: conditions, attitude (of Boss, colleagues, and to an extent customers) equipment, compliance, work to pay ratio, sweat to work ratio (ie handballing coal or opening doors and reversing onto a loading bay) so many things to take into account to be able to answer “what’s a fair rate”

Now, if you want to know how long a piece of string is then… No, better save that for another day :laughing:

Redrum:
Let’s assume you’re Monday-Friday with 4 nights out and an average of 60-65 hours a week. I know theres a regional variance so I’m especially interested in the Midlands.

That would pay around £550 take-home including night-out money.

Harry Monk:

Redrum:

For that at my place I’d be looking just shy of £700 in my pocket.

Night out money is nothing to do with your pay and in no way should you add that into the picture.
Take a weeks holiday and you don’t get night out money so
NO DO NOT ADD THAT TO YOUR WAGES .

Harry Monk:

toonsy:

Harry’s almost spot on to the pound with his estimate for me, including my night out allowance. I work for one of the firms generally considered to be lower paying. Might I ask what sort of work your in Toonsy?

Reef:
I feel you should measure a “fair wage” against a multitude of considerations and only one of them actually being the money.

Good point Reef, though I guess to some degree if the moneys right you’d forego some of the things you mentioned.

nick2008:
Night out money is nothing to do with your pay and in no way should you add that into the picture.

Another good point. Things like meal allowances apply to this aswell, you miss them when you’re off work.

Of course you look at the n/o money, it’s still paid in money that you can spend on what you want, of course it’s supposed to be for your expenses, but no point doing nights out if you’re spending it all!

2 jobs everything is the same apart from 1 pays an extra tenner a week, but the other pays an extra fiver a night out.

Are you gonna take the better paid job or the job with the better package?

Redrum:

Harry Monk:

toonsy:

Harry’s almost spot on to the pound with his estimate for me, including my night out allowance. I work for one of the firms generally considered to be lower paying. Might I ask what sort of work your in Toonsy?

It’s general haulage. My lot pay £11.80ph from start to finish (more at weekend and nights but that’s not what you’re asking). With no nights out for 60ish hours I’d get about £570ish in my pocket after tax, may ins, pension etc.

Then we get £5 daily meal allowance (so £25 tax free each week) plus £25 night out again tax free so that combined is £125 on top.of taxable pay for the four nights out which all together adds up to the £700ish figure.

Based in Rugby by the way.

On the adding it into wages… personally I don’t so if I want to spend it I will on a meal or whatever, but I don’t always spend it either in fairness.

If its proper driving by this I mean using your brain a bit knowing your way around and not hanging about I would say £550-600 net for 5 days Mon-Fri plus the night out money I wouldn’t expect to pay for my own parking either.

All these ponzi schemes that some employers have Stobarts for example are a cute way of not paying what you are due when you take annual leave night out money or any other questionable addition to pay is an allowance to cover food and drink anyone who counts this as part of their wage is a fool.

I personally wouldn’t do tramping again, if I did however I would expect with 4 nights out to net @ £700.

nick2008:

Then why would the OP specify how many nights out he would be doing when asking how much he would be taking home?

To get the figure without the night-out money, simply deduct 4 x £25 from the £550 I stated, i.e. £450.

Harry Monk:

nick2008:

Then why would the OP specify how many nights out he would be doing when asking how much he would be taking home?

To get the figure without the night-out money, simply deduct 4 x £25 from the £550 I stated, i.e. £450.

I was including nights out to be honest, I know you dont get it year round like the tax free meal allowance but if we do include it all at least we can stick a figure on the whole package one would expect in normal circumstances eg. Not on holiday or sick leave

toonsy:
It’s general haulage. My lot pay £11.80ph from start to finish (more at weekend and nights but that’s not what you’re asking). With no nights out for 60ish hours I’d get about £570ish in my pocket after tax, may ins, pension etc.

Then we get £5 daily meal allowance (so £25 tax free each week) plus £25 night out again tax free so that combined is £125 on top.of taxable pay for the four nights out which all together adds up to the £700ish figure.

On the adding it into wages… personally I don’t so if I want to spend it I will on a meal or whatever, but I don’t always spend it either in fairness.

That’s good going mate, if I were to see something like that further within the West Midlands (1 hour radius of Telford) I’d definitely be applying. I’m on £9 an hour made up with a £15 a day meal allowance and a £22.50 night out allowance. My basic rates terrible and even with the meal allowance factored in it’s approx £10 an hour.

Here’s another question for you guys. If a firm doesn’t advertise the rate would you still apply for a job there or would you assume it’s not great if they wouldn’t tell you in the advert?

Our work is a bit random, might be home every night, might be out 5 nights on Euro. Earns around 45-53k a year gross. We pay night out at £30.00, but it’s taxable so included in the gross figure.

Redrum:

toonsy:

That’s good going mate, if I were to see something like that further within the West Midlands (1 hour radius of Telford) I’d definitely be applying. I’m on £9 an hour made up with a £15 a day meal allowance and a £22.50 night out allowance. My basic rates terrible and even with the meal allowance factored in it’s approx £10 an hour.

Here’s another question for you guys. If a firm doesn’t advertise the rate would you still apply for a job there or would you assume it’s not great if they wouldn’t tell you in the advert?

Its just the area I’m in bud, it’s generally considered a high paying one with lots of stuff that needs moving. The fact it’s only 50 mins to London on a train has also had an effect a la London weighting kind of thing.

£10 per hour.
£13.50 after 8
£24.50 night out.

Redrum:

toonsy:

One of the firm’s that advertises around my way doesn’t say how much, think it says negotiable, but from what I know it’s one of the highest paid in the area

albion:
Our work is a bit random, might be home every night, might be out 5 nights on Euro. Earns around 45-53k a year gross. We pay night out at £30.00, but it’s taxable so included in the gross figure.

So you pay the same for 5 nights out or being at home every night :neutral_face:

The only figure I’m interested in is the amount going in my bank on a Friday. You can be on what looks like a crap basic hourly rate but once overtime etc is taken into account can end up being a tidy pay packet at end of week.

Finished tramping in June 2009, was taking home 500 a week, give or take a pound or 2. 4 nights out at at 25 pound a night. And he sold me diesel for my car less the vat. Can’t believe night out money hasn’t gone up in 10 years.

This was on containers by the way.