Driver killed by tail lift

ETS:

Carryfast:

ETS:
I was to then proceed to the hospital where the injured driver was taken to to pick him up and bring him back.

He had 3 cracked ribs and an internal bleeding, was in a lot of pain and groaned every time the car went over a bump.

:open_mouth:

Says more about the NHS in not keeping him in AAU at least for a couple of days under observation than the firm.Which hospital was it ?.

Pretty sure they can’t keep you in there against your will. I don’t remember the name of the hospital, it was in Reading, 5-6 months ago. They had morphine’d him up and discharged him but it took a while for the morphine to start acting apparently. Eventually he calmed down and fell asleep; I felt bad for the fella, he was 50 something probably took him a long time to fully recover. I later asked him if he had any advice for a new driver like myself and he said “Yes - keep your phone with you at all times, it might save your life” :frowning:

Tbh mate - and now meaning to knock you. But I really hope you are not staying there long term.

As you drive out the DC you go past ocado - much better job. Go down and at the first roundabout is the VW dealer parts DC which is run by XPO, when I was there it was CEVA. Now that is a similar job in terms of given keys to open up. But they will send you out with an experienced driver for a couple of weeks to show you the ropes (plus generally you have your run rather than a new place each night). And you are not pushed as much at all. Still the same rubbish - but far fewer injuries. They don’t send you out in liveried trucks as they know automotive parts are popular with criminals. But if you want a decent job and to be treated right Sainsburys in Hams Hall is after class 1 drivers on agency. Top money, a bit boring if I’m honest - but you will always have back door staff to help tip the wagon.

Tesco in Fradley is another option. They take on new passes via agency. Tesco is like Sainsburys. In some ways better and in some ways worst. The supermarkets will not give you a flashy truck like ECP - but they do care about your safety. With a bit of common sense there is no reason for you to ever get hurt working for one.

If you want the number for the main agency bloke who gets drivers into Hams Sainsburys let me know. So far it was my favourite driving job and I miss it a lot. I’m working for the other supermarket a bit on agency down South now due to geography reasons. But I have to say I do realise how good it was looking back. Even the assessor there is a really top bloke. Office staff generally are fine (a few exceptions) - and the old full time staff there will go out of their wasy to help a new driver. I want to go back and say thanks to some of them. They spent hours going over the routes and giving my good advice. They had no need to do this - I was a young kid who didn’t know how much he didn’t know when I started. And that job got me to the point where I can get an artic anywhere it can fit (eventually) and I can do it without getting worried now.