Driver wins damages

hulldailymail.co.uk/Payout-H … story.html

Jesus, no wonder we have so many idiots on the road so he put his foot too far forward and crushed it himself - but is able to claim for loss of earnings.

I would be too embarrassed to claim and even more so to put my bonce in a local rag showing that I am unable to use simple machinery, without self harming.

now if the tail lift had some sort of fault then fair enough but really being that stupid that you crush your own foot then claim no wonder the country is the way it is.

Another idiot to thank for arduous site inductions and risk assessments

I hope he’s been trained how to close his door. Might be able to sue his mum for negligence

Surley you would let go of the button as soon as you felt it squeeze your boot.

For a start the taillift butts up to the floor, so alarm bells would be ringing if you can’t feel anything under foot. And who doesn’t watch the taillift rise to the back anyway. I always watch it incase anything starts going wrong

I’m gonna drop on the drivers side in all this.
Company refuses to pay time off driver finds out company hasn’t covered it’s arse, ching ching (also the name of a Thai ladyboy I once knew, had a mate called chang chang as well but he was less convincing).

this is the sort of ■■■■ that dumbs down the job, where I work we had to have pallet truck training a while ago, then the other day shown how to use a power hose, companies just cover their arse so they can’t be sued when someone ■■■■■ up

Wot i dont understand to get first lots of Money and change then Company,if its that easy to gather Money from that one

FWIW Heron seem to permanently be advertising for drivers. Its not got the best of reputations.

Saying that though common sense says to make sure you’ve got enough space on the tail lift to stand on and not to put your foot near the back edge. My sum total training for tail lifts is “this is how you get it out, there’s the controls, crack on drive” and strangely enough like many thousands of drivers using tail lifts I’ve never got my foot stuck.

OVLOV JAY:
Another idiot to thank for arduous site inductions and risk assessments

I’ve seen site inductions performed with imaginary equipment - “pretend you’re looking at Equipment X…, and make sure you don’t do Bad Thing Y”. In a particular case I have in mind, none of those being inducted on the day had even used the equipment before, and the employer evidently had none spare to demonstrate (i.e. the whole point of the induction).

That’s one example amongst many which can make an induction arduous and a worthless waste of time.

But nobody forces the employers concerned to engage in these charades - certainly not the law, and certainly not injured workers.

Employers do this because they begin with an utter contempt for safety in the first place, with a tradition of dangerous conditions which have already maimed and killed some of their workers, and with an agenda to defy the spirit of the law which insists they must become safe.

A guy I know, a father of two daughters, is not going to see his 40s out because he worked with asbestos on a building site in the 1980s as a teenager. Why shouldn’t the spivs with bad attitudes to safety who run these firms pay for the lives they ruin? Why shouldn’t the law bear down oppressively on them before they can ruin lives?

Having your life cut short because you worked with asbestos in the 80s, when the long term dangers were only just becoming evident, is a worthy case for compensation. Some bell end who’s left his foot dangling over the front edge of a taillift, which at no point did the article say was faulty or dangerous, isn’t a case for compensation imho

Conor:
FWIW Heron seem to permanently be advertising for drivers. Its not got the best of reputations.

Saying that though common sense says to make sure you’ve got enough space on the tail lift to stand on and not to put your foot near the back edge. My sum total training for tail lifts is “this is how you get it out, there’s the controls, crack on drive” and strangely enough like many thousands of drivers using tail lifts I’ve never got my foot stuck.

You got training? ■■■■ me. My first job I got given the keys and told to ■■■■ off!

Conor:

I’m not exactly a veteran when it comes to using tail lifts, but you mustn’t have much experience at all. I’ve seen some poor designs of tail lift before now which at the first distraction will have your toes off quicker than a guillotine. Some will have your fingers off. Others will pull your back out lifting the various hinged parts which can be found on different designs.

There are also a number of different designs - sometimes in just one firm. Newer designs tend to be inherently safer and lighter, but anything old enough to be showing signs of rust probably has some sort of hazard which an employer ought to spend 10 minutes demonstrating to you.

i have worked with taillifts for years both old and new at several companies and without sounding funny rjan - if your able to cut off fingers or toes your missing several braincells.

OVLOV JAY:
Having your life cut short because you worked with asbestos in the 80s, when the long term dangers were only just becoming evident, is a worthy case for compensation. Some bell end who’s left his foot dangling over the front edge of a taillift, which at no point did the article say was faulty or dangerous, isn’t a case for compensation imho

You’re joking aren’t you. The dangers of asbestos were becoming evident in Victorian times, and I think it’s fair to say the danger was well-known medically and actuarially by the 1930s.

With tail lifts, misplacing your foot by a few inches shouldn’t cause injury. It’s easy to say “just don’t do that”, but when real work is actually being done, there has to be some allowance for human frailty and error. Or at the very least, the employer has to pay for the injuries their equipment causes during normal and reasonable operation.

Even if a job is inherently dangerous and depends solely on a worker’s attention to danger or observance of rules (and operating a tail lift isn’t really an example of that), the employer should still have to show that the worker knows the rules and has rehearsed them in practice, and that if the worker is expected to work unsupervised then he has the qualities and attitudes to safety and self-preservation which are appropriate to his responsibility.

For example, if attention to danger is the only dividing line between safety and injury, then the worker should always be fresh and unfatigued, and free from interruption. Nobody can suggest that a very tired, harassed worker can be expected to maintain the appropriate attention - you wouldn’t let a train driver go forward with half a night’s sleep and two passengers mithering him.

Unsurprisingly, when employers are forced to take safety seriously, they almost always re-engineer the environment, the equipment, or the system of work, rather than trying to rely on attention to danger alone - because we all know that attention cannot be relied on.

If feet have to be in a certain place, then there should be guards, or footholds, or similar, or cut-outs which operate when feet are detected in a place where they are about to be broken.

there should also be a if you are that stupid thick or retarded then its tough.

its like working in a bakery and putting your hand on trays just coming out the oven then suing the employer because they didn’t show you to wear gloves!

htmldude:
You got training? [zb] me. My first job I got given the keys and told to [zb] off!

Only on one of those fold out from underneath jobs. It was expected I had a functioning brain and could work out the fold up against the back type on my own.

war1974:
i have worked with taillifts for years both old and new at several companies and without sounding funny rjan - if your able to cut off fingers or toes your missing several braincells.

It’s funny how perceptions differ. I’ve never cut off toes or fingers either, but I’ve seen designs where it can be done without much ado.

If you can truly say you’ve never made a mistake or observed a near-miss situation, not even when tired, when being pestered, or when operating equipment you don’t know how to operate and haven’t seen before (or which is defective), and never will make a mistake in the future, then you probably aren’t telling (or recalling, or perceiving) the truth.

of course I have made mistakes no body even albion is perfect, what I have not done is break my foot or even stupider keep crushing it with a taillift.

even tired its amazing how my self preservation skills work, its to me another example of how society continually rewards the stupid.