How accidents happen

I tipped last night at Corby Chill in Larkhall.They share a building with Norfolk Line.After I tipped,I pulled out onto the road and took a 45.Was just sitting reading when there was such a crash and a bang. Looked over into Norfolk Line yard and saw this.

Obviously the driver had forgotten to wind the legs down before pulling out :open_mouth: :open_mouth: but notice that the bay door is open. I dont know how long the trailer had been on the bay or if it had only just been put there.Don’t know if any-one was in the trailer at the time.
I dont know whether the lights change automatically when the door is opened or if they have to be changed manually. If automatic then the driver shouldn’t have been uncoupling,if manual the chill staff should have waited until they knew for sure that the trailer was safe to work on.
I know there is a notice in their canteen warning them not to open doors until the vehicle is safely docked and immobilised.This was after drivers complained about the red light going on while they were still maneouvering onto the bay.This has happened to me on at least 2 occasions :angry: :angry:
Just goes to show,though,how accidents can happen

Highlander:
IJust goes to show,though,how accidents can happen

Absolutely! You follow the same procedure every day for umpteen years, then one day you forget one little detail. Inexplicable. Perhaps the saying ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ has relevance here.
This is exactly the point I was making to Coffee and Rob in another thread (forget the title, senior moment) about the safety or otherwise of split coupling.

Salut, David.

Same theme,but a different angle, a few years ago one of a certain german
tanker firms drivers was waiting to clean out, before he went to drive in the washing area he went up top, to open the loading points,unfortunatly
he completeley forgot to check if there was pressure still in the tanks pot,s
and as he began to release the lids locking screws due to the amount of pressue inside the lid flew off takeing the driver with it, Due to the extent of the injuries he later died ,and after the german H&S finished their investigation, his widow was refused a 100% pension rights as is was down to the driver not carrying out the job correctley,

Your right there , do it day in day out and one day you forget …
Did that with a drawbar trailer on a lonely industrial estate in northampton at 4 in the morning . Every morning i dropped the trailer there, round the back drop the rear legs and lock them in round the front disconnect lines "Then drop front leg " then work the unhitch mechanism .
The piece in comma i forgot about … pulled off and heard a loud bang , looked in the mirrors and … that doesnt look right … :blush: :laughing:
Bit of winding on low gear rectified it , got away with it too nobody around and no damage …

Bet that trailer smashed the back of the unit up …

Highlander:
I know there is a notice in their canteen warning them not to open doors until the vehicle is safely docked and immobilised.This was after drivers complained about the red light going on while they were still maneouvering onto the bay.This has happened to me on at least 2 occasions :angry: :angry:
Just goes to show,though,how accidents can happen

That happened to me at Asda (I think, but it might have been Tesco) - I was still part-way through dropping the trailer when they started unloading it; before pulling out from underneath I stuck my head round the corner of the dock and asked them to stay out of the trailer while I pulled out, just in case… :bulb: