Penalties for overloading

Hi there!

I’m a new member. I recently read an article about overloading in UK. Does anyone know what are the penalties?

trans.info/en/british-systems-c … ork-108579

DVSA does :-

The table below shows the current graduated penalty levels for excess weight matters.

Severity Endorsable Fixed penalty amount
Less than 10% No £100
10% up to but not including 15% No £200
15% and over No £300
A £100 penalty will be given for a 0% to 9.99% overload, but DVSA examiners will allow a 5% leeway before issuing a fixed penalty or prohibition, unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more.

More here : -

gov.uk/government/publicati … l-deposits

That’s only the money side, you will get OCRS points too as a bonus :frowning:

No wonder our travelling friends don’t care about well overloading their Transit pick ups if there’s no points.

My firm use lorries with axles that can’t be overloaded… My TM said so.

Every firm should have them.

The plated weight is just a lie lol.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

The penalty for being overweight varies on who stops you or rather who books you not just dvsa but trading standards or the police .

Punchy Dan:
The penalty for being overweight varies on who stops you or rather who books you not just dvsa but trading standards or the police .

There speaks the voice of experience…with a slimmer wallet I bet !

Conor:
No wonder our travelling friends don’t care about well overloading their Transit pick ups if there’s no points.

^^^^^^^^^
the only way it worries them is if its an on the spot fine,and if plod wont accept payment in travelers cheques… :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:
and if plod wont accept payment in travelers cheques… :laughing: :laughing:

I saw…

What you did there…good one. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

It also depends upon the seriousness and frequency of overloads.

One haulier a few years ago thought he was being very clever by sending trucks out 4% overloaded every day in the belief he couldn’t be prosecuted. VOSA as it was at the time just weighed loads of their vehicles and built up enough evidence to establish that it was persistent and deliberate overloading resulting in a court case and a significant fine.

Back in 2000 I was pulled by the weightwatchers at Bingham and found to be 26.45 on a 26 tonne gross tipper. I couldn’t see the scales on the weighbridge at the quarry, and ticket said 26.00, but they were not bothered about it as they allowed some discrepancy for adding fuel etc. The chap just winked at me and said; “Filled up after loading did we?” and we both smiled! :laughing: They were targetting foreign trucks who were often several tonnes overloaded. I was pleased they didn’t weigh each axle though, the front one was almost always overloaded due to squeezing a 17tonne payload into a body designed to carry only 15 tonnes.

Pete.