Over weight after fuel

Today I weighed in for a load of scrap, fuel gauge was low, got loaded after 3 attempts of jumping on and off the weigh bridge they got me bang on 44T

I drove 10 miles down the road and stopped to fill up, as I was doing a local run 30 miles from loading to delivery point when I got there on a full tank still I was weighing in overweight

Just wondering if there’s a limit your aloud to be over because of this?

3.6 Excess Weight Offences
When a fixed penalty notice or conditional offer is issued for an excess weight offence, the
examiner will also prohibit the driving of the vehicle on a road. The prohibition is designed
to stop an overweight vehicle from being used on the road and to preserve road safety.
The fixed penalty will be the preferred option for dealing with excess weight offences,
unless the offence is too serious to warrant the issue of a fixed penalty or the maximum
number of notices (as explained in section 3. 2) would otherwise be exceeded. Below is a
table showing the current graduated penalty levels for excess weight matters:

EXCEED WEIGHT
Severity Endorsable FP amount
0 up to but not including 10% No £60.00
10% up to but not including 15% No £120.00
15% and over No £200.00

The legislation shows that a £60.00 penalty will be levied for a 0%-9.99% overload, but
VOSA examiners will allow a 5% tolerance before Fixed Penalty or Prohibition issue
unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more. It is likely that a fixed
penalty would be inappropriate for serious cases of overloading (i.e. in which the vehicle is
overloaded by 30% and over, or the excess weight is 5 tonnes or more) and therefore a
court summons would be issued.

Always remember fuel is weight, basically 1L=1kg.

I was 44.380 I think so should be good to go

TruckerAds:
I was 44.380 I think so should be good to go

Regardless of the DVSA, you’d be on a disciplinary as a minimum at our place, no excuse for overloading allowed whatsoever. TM doesn’t want a fine coming his way as it’s his name on the O licence.

Just note some places get funny with over weight lorries. TATA Steel were one that would tell you to bugger off if you dared turn up with 44250kg+.

Others are happy enough, maxed out a weighbridge once (Over 50T) so a grab took the bales of cars off me and loaded another empty trailer until I was under 44T, then they printed my ticket and I tipped whilst the other trailer went over the bridge with a further 10T. So my boss was happy as he quoted the job by the ton so I delivered close to 36T in one go :open_mouth:

Im not sure if this is why I had both my lift axle air bags blow within a few weeks of each other or the separate occasion a chassis brace snapped and took out the tyres and air bags on the drive axle when the axle went side ways during a turn at some lights. :blush:

The unladen weight of a vehicle is,
The vehicle, The Driver, The diesel, The Adblue, The contents of drivers Belongings inside the cab.
So a scenario for you.
You leave a weighbridge at 43,980 with a 1/4 a tank of diesel (say 500 litre tank) and a weighbridge ticket that shows your weight without you in the cab.
So you get in the cab and add 80 kilos which takes you to 44,060, you then go down the road and add 375 litres (375 kilos) of fuel and say 15 litres (15 kilos) of Adblue. That takes you to 44,450.
Your overweight and vosa/dvsa or what ever they are called this week could make life a misery for you, if they pull you.
You need to take your weight and any fuels your going to get into consideration when loading.
I know what these company’s are like for trying to max your load, but it’s not their licence, it’s yours and you need to keep it.

Sent using smoke signals

Nine things you shouldn’t do AFTER picking up a load that exactly puts you on 44t gross

(1) Fill up diesel
(2) Pick up a passenger, especially a corpulent one.
(3) Go around corners fast.
(4) Drive up people’s arses
(5) Approach zebra crossings at anything faster than “dead slow creep”.
(6) Fly down slip roads
(7) Have Lunch
(8) Drive past the cop shop or known VOSA station
(9) Drive on the M25 in Rush Hour.

lizard:
The vehicle, The Driver, The diesel, The Adblue, The contents of drivers Belongings inside the cab.
So a scenario for you.
You leave a weighbridge at 43,980 with a 1/4 a tank of diesel (say 500 litre tank) and a weighbridge ticket that shows your weight without you in the cab.
So you get in the cab and add 80 kilos which takes you to 44,060, you then go down the road and add 375 litres (375 kilos) of fuel and say 15 litres (15 kilos) of Adblue. That takes you to 44,450.
Your overweight and vosa/dvsa or what ever they are called this week could make life a misery for you, if they pull you.
You need to take your weight and any fuels your going to get into consideration when loading.
I know what these company’s are like for trying to max your load, but it’s not their licence, it’s yours and you need to keep it.

Sent using smoke signals

Put into perspective, I’m going to be more cautious now purely down to the not planning ahead.

TruckerAds:

lizard:
So a scenario for you.

Sent using smoke signals

Put into perspective, I’m going to be more cautious now purely down to the not planning ahead.

It’s good to learn these things, and learn from the mistakes we make and not to do them again. Most of us have done the same and some of us don’t do it anymore.
Always remember that when you get out of the truck to go to the weighbridge office, the truck is lighter whilst your out of it.
I’ve learnt to gauge the fuel gauge against the weight. Or just simply try and fuel up as close to the customer as possible and go in with a full tank. It helps.

Sent using smoke signals

Winseer:
Nine things you shouldn’t do AFTER picking up a load that exactly puts you on 44t gross

(1) Fill up diesel
(6) Fly down slip roads
(7) Have Lunch

Ten things you SHOULD do if you weigh in marginally over 44t gross

(1) Bin your lunch and water/juice/coffee/squash
(2) Have a good number 2
(3) Clean the rubbish from your cab
(4) Leave your dreamcatchers/valances/V8 badges/tassles etc in weighbridge hut and promise to pick them up next time
(5) Have a long number 1
(6) Trim your hi-viz down a bit, and take the cuffs off your gloves
(7) Siphon off ‘a few litres’ for whoever wants some
(8) Take 2ft off each ratchet strap in your locker
(9) Have a vigorous number 3
(10) Die

But if it were me, I’d just leave my wallet in my car.

ezydriver:

Winseer:

(1) Fill up diesel
(6) Fly down slip roads
(7) Have Lunch

(2) Have a good number 2
(4) Leave your dreamcatchers/valances/V8 badges/tassles etc in weighbridge hut and promise to pick them up next time
(5) Have a long number 1
(6) Trim your hi-viz down a bit, and take the cuffs off your gloves
(7) Siphon off ‘a few litres’ for whoever wants some
(8) Take 2ft off each ratchet strap in your locker
(9) Have a vigorous number 3
(10) Die

:laughing: :laughing: Well done, both of you - I needed that smile this morning!

ezydriver:

Winseer:

(1) Fill up diesel
(6) Fly down slip roads
(7) Have Lunch

(2) Have a good number 2 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
(5) Have a long number 1 …instead of taking the ■■■■.
(6) Trim your hi-viz down a bit, and take the cuffs off your gloves Donate your high-viz to a Brexit protestor.
(7) Siphon off ‘a few litres’ for whoever wants some Help your local Brudder.
(8) Take 2ft off each ratchet strap in your locker Discover that you HAVE some rachet straps
(9) Have a vigorous number 3 Captain Pugwash is alive and well!
(10) Die Die…cast toys - can be broken.

I once had a weighty £12 worth of shrapnel in mine - but that was in 1983. These plastic banknotes are so light and fluffy - you’d have to ditch enough to have paid off your mortgage, when having a number two would probably lose you twice as much weight!

lizard:

Only 80kg for the driver!!!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’m a weighty 78kg, I think it’s time to get on the diet

El Deano:

lizard:

You avatar speaks volumes :laughing:

Winseer:

This. My mate did this with his Transit Luton. He was transporting a cooking range for a kitchen up to Scotland and asked if I wanted to go along for a ride. We got pulled into Todhills and he was 100kg over - my fat arse worth. Cue VOSA issuing a movement order only to the truckstop via the back road whilst we waited for the customer to come down from Glasgow with a trailer to offload some of it before returning and being reweighed.

Good news was attitude test passed during the checks which is why it wasn’t a “you’re staying here until you offload some of it” and he didn’t get a fine.

El Deano:

lizard:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well the scales always drops 80kgs when I get out and was using the figure as an average for most trampers these days, as we don’t all pull containers for a living. Lol

Sent using smoke signals

I was poodling up the A14 on Friday in my LWB transit [3500kg] & just before Elmswell went past VOSA van in layby. Next thing he pulls in front with the ‘follow me’ sign on. I know I,m pretty heavy with all my tools & whatnot on board & a couple of years ago I weighed my van & it was 3600kg. Since then I,ve taken stuff out but I can tell you I was pretty worried. Anyway went in and went on weighbridge plates front axle then rear & it was 3510kg. Hee hee. The VOSA bloke was sick I can tell you & he even blurted out “I don’t believe it”. Anyway I got the big lecture about how I should be very careful as I was near the tolerance. When I asked what tolerance was it turns out its 5% [which means 3175kg]. I just agreed & thanked him but I’ve been thinking maybe I should’ve told him to mind his own business as I was well within legal limit.

Interesting thing was when I first got out of van I asked what the problem was & he said they wanted to check roadworthiness of vehicle eg lights & security of load. No mention of weight. I guess he didn’t want me to quickly unload stuff while he went inside to get his mate. Struck me as a bit devious they never looked at lights. And they didn’t dip diesel tank [not that it would have mattered].

I,ve been on line since & it seems fine for up to 10% over weight is only £100 but the embuggerance is they make you remove some load before you can continue & chain wheels up to stop you leaving. Then you have to pay £60 for removal of chain. I don’t know what you’d do with stuff taken out - get a mate to come out I suppose as I bet they wouldn’t let you leave it on their site

mrginge:
Just note some places get funny with over weight lorries. TATA Steel were one that would tell you to bugger off if you dared turn up with 44250kg+.

Others are happy enough, maxed out a weighbridge once (Over 50T) so a grab took the bales of cars off me and loaded another empty trailer until I was under 44T, then they printed my ticket and I tipped whilst the other trailer went over the bridge with a further 10T. So my boss was happy as he quoted the job by the ton so I delivered close to 36T in one go :open_mouth:

Im not sure if this is why I had both my lift axle air bags blow within a few weeks of each other or the separate occasion a chassis brace snapped and took out the tyres and air bags on the drive axle when the axle went side ways during a turn at some lights. :blush:

So the repairs to the vehicle more than exceeded the extra payment.