Police vetting for recovery work

Does anyone know what this vetting involves and how detailed it is? What are the main reasons people fail the check and is it possible to appeal? Cheers!

I don’t know but a good guess would be

A: An enhanced DBS - if you have nothing on your police record you should be good.

B: Failure? Cos it’s thought that the stupid thing you done a few years ago won’t show up.

C: Probably not.

Good luck.

Rudsy:
Does anyone know what this vetting involves and how detailed it is? What are the main reasons people fail the check and is it possible to appeal? Cheers!

A police Basic Check requires applicants to prove their identity and disclose police cautions and convictions. As the Rehabilitation of Offender’s Act (Exceptions) Order 1975 applies, all convictions must be declared, including those which could otherwise be regarded as spent.

Applications would be rejected if an individual has been convicted or cautioned for a serious arrestable offence.

No, you cannot appeal if you fail a background check.

I had to complete submissions for two counties and the detail they wanted varied.

I seem to recall questions like do you live or have lived with anyone with a criminal record, declaring any times where you have been to court even as a witness etc etc.

If you don’t clear vetting you could still work on anything except police jobs assuming your firm would be ok with that. I heard a rumour a firm recently lost a police contract after repeatedly sending a driver out to jobs who was ‘known’ to them.

I’ve been CRB checked a few times (work, shot gun licence and firearms ticket)
I’ve never had a problem, but I know a couple of people who have convictions from years back, they declared them and all was fine.

I think if you don’t declare a conviction and it shows up, that’s when it becomes a problem.

drew30:
I’ve been CRB checked a few times (work, shot gun licence and firearms ticket)
I’ve never had a problem, but I know a couple of people who have convictions from years back, they declared them and all was fine.

I think if you don’t declare a conviction and it shows up, that’s when it becomes a problem.

It depends on the type, number and severity of the conviction(s).

Any conviction that resulted in prison will prevent you working in any way for or with the police.

Thanks all - now submitted!