Free CPC day and Exercise

This might be useful for anyone who has to pay for there own CPC days like agency drivers.

You can have a free days training - and get to ride a bicycle and get some exercise. They are running them in Merseyside and Manchester. Although with Manchester you need to pay £25 contribution as it’s only partially funded. There are a few in Hereford apparently as well.

bikeright.co.uk/for_drivers … n_driving/

I know the usual morons will pipe up about never going near a bicycle - but it seems like a nice day out on a Saturday to me. I’ve signed up. I’ll ride up on my motorbike in the morning and make a day of it. If the weather is nice and you get to cycle through the countryside I think it will be very enjoyable.

From the email you even get free lunch, tea/coffee and bike rental:

LUNCH

A sandwich lunch and refreshments are provided for you, please let us know if you have any dietary requirements. Please note; lunch breaks are typically 30 minutes long and there are two 15 minute breaks with tea and coffee provided.

BICYCLE AND HELMET

Bikes, helmets and hi-visibility jackets are provided for you for the duration of the course. Should you have a medical condition that prevents you from taking part, please disclose this to us before the course, or to your tutor on the day if it is not possible to disclose before the course. The practical cycling element is compulsory and must be completed unless you have a valid medical reason for being unable to cycle. If you are not cycling you will need a doctors note or letter from your employer to say you are not able to take part in the practical cycling element of the course.

Why do they always assumes it’s LGV/PCV drivers who need to be aware of vulnerable cyclists?

It’s more like they need educating to stop doing stupid things near a large vehicle

Suppose you’d get 7hrs credit for 7hrs patronising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
Why do they always assumes it’s LGV/PCV drivers who need to be aware of vulnerable cyclists?

It’s more like they need educating to stop doing stupid things near a large vehicle

It’s a day out cycling in the summer… And it’s free. With a free lunch.

If I learn some stuff then that’s a bonus. Think of it as an adult cycling proficiency test.

I actually know someone who did it as well - and it’s not that patronizing. They stop your ride at junctions and point out how cyclists can be vulnerable etc… No great hardship. On his, they also stopped for icecreams. He said he found it pretty interesting and a bit of a laugh.

And…get run over by a truck on the biking jolly…

These DCPC courses have been run in various parts of the country for a few years now, personally I think it’s a good idea.

Anyone know if you can do this twice and still get the cpc hours credited?

Done the one in manchester last year.

SuperMultiBlue:

I’d call em and ask. Frankly I doubt they care - they are a private company getting paid either way… Think you need to pay cpc upload anyway, which is about £8.50 i think.

Out of interest mate willing to give some feedback and say how you found it?

SuperMultiBlue:

Yes you can.

sammym:

dcgpx:

If I learn some stuff then that’s a bonus. Think of it as an adult cycling proficiency test.

I actually know someone who did it as well - and it’s not that patronizing. They stop your ride at junctions and point out how cyclists can be vulnerable etc… No great hardship. On his, they also stopped for icecreams. He said he found it pretty interesting and a bit of a laugh.[/quote

I did the cycling proficiency test at school in 74. I agree with those who say the cyclists need to be made more aware of turning lorries and procedure at traffic lights etc than the other way round.

sammym:

SuperMultiBlue:

I’d call em and ask. Frankly I doubt they care - they are a private company getting paid either way… Think you need to pay cpc upload anyway, which is about £8.50 i think.

Started off with introduce yourself… ■■■■■■■ hate that :laughing:

Then it was a video and chat i think before dinner then a bike ride around a local park and then a short road trip.

And yes you do look a complete ■■■■ when biking round with your other helmetted and hi-vizzed classmates.

It is what it is, a means to an end and for free il look a complete ■■■■ all day :laughing:

SuperMultiBlue:

sammym:

SuperMultiBlue:

Started off with introduce yourself… [zb] hate that :laughing:

Then it was a video and chat i think before dinner then a bike ride around a local park and then a short road trip.

And yes you do look a complete [zb] when biking round with your other helmetted and hi-vizzed classmates.

It is what it is, a means to an end and for free il look a complete [zb] all day :laughing:

Might buy some lycra to add to the look. Team sky style!

Cheers for the feedback. I reckon it could be a laugh.

Amybody seen my bike■■?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have done this course out of Manchester, quite fun in places… went inside velodrome and around Etihad complex.

In the A.M we were out on the road. Quite surprised the council receive £100 for every 10 metres of cycle lane they paint… You get to see why most cycle lanes are more dangerous than good and why good cyclists avoid them.

At times patronising but they know their stuff and aren’t labelling us all as useless

In the P.M was with a female ex army Wagon driver, she was ok but my god the content was dull

Even though everyone knows a normal person gives up pushbikes when they turn 16 and get a moped,I was made to do it for that FORS crap.paid for by the company. It’s weren’t as patronising as I thought and I’m ashamed to admit I learned stuff. Luckily it was December and too icy to go poncing about on the pushbikes and it cost me ten quid to get 7hrs accredited. So win-win :smiley:

sammym:

dcgpx:

I actually know someone who did it as well - and it’s not that patronizing. They stop your ride at junctions and point out how cyclists can be vulnerable etc… No great hardship. On his, they also stopped for icecreams. He said he found it pretty interesting and a bit of a laugh.

I’m not against the course per se, I’ve never done a course where I haven’t learnt something.

And I’m sure this won’t be any different for anyone attending plus free CPC module so great deal.

My point was there never seems to be a reciprocal course for cyclists to show how they become extra vulnerable near vehicles, it’s alway for the vehicle driver.

No wonder some think they own the road. I’d love to go into a town and not spend 5 times longer than needed looking for suicidal Lycra loons.

sammym:
…but it seems like a nice day out on a Saturday to me. I’ve signed up.

Yeah if its sunny and not overly hot…good luck if its chucking it down! :slight_smile:

Have done the course for FORS so you’ll likely be told how awful you are as a “professional driver” by someone whos only ever driven a company car and knows how to use PowerPoint, oh and cant answer any questions.

Then ride around in circles trying to avoid the cones circa cycling proficiency from junior school - actually its the same course as they teach 7 year olds to ride bikes.

Finally ride around main roads dodging BMWs. All trucks behaved impeccably when we did it, but two BMWs tried to wipe us out. No ice cream either as van never turned up.

To their credit the cycling guys were honest that its not all trucks and not all cyclists at fault but basically learned little useful and couldnt even have a beer as was in Lincoln.

Oh and yeah, wheres the cycling proficiency for adults? Did as a kid and knew how to respect traffic, pedestrians etc.

sammym:
This might be useful for anyone who has to pay for there own CPC days like agency drivers.

You can have a free days training - and get to ride a bicycle and get some exercise. They are running them in Merseyside and Manchester. Although with Manchester you need to pay £25 contribution as it’s only partially funded. There are a few in Hereford apparently as well.

I know the usual morons will pipe up about never going near a bicycle - but it seems like a nice day out on a Saturday to me. I’ve signed up. I’ll ride up on my motorbike in the morning and make a day of it. If the weather is nice and you get to cycle through the countryside I think it will be very enjoyable.

LUNCH

A sandwich lunch and refreshments are provided for you, please let us know if you have any dietary requirements. Please note; lunch breaks are typically 30 minutes long and there are two 15 minute breaks with tea and coffee provided.

BICYCLE AND HELMET

Bikes, helmets and hi-visibility jackets are provided for you for the duration of the course. Should you have a medical condition that prevents you from taking part, please disclose this to us before the course, or to your tutor on the day if it is not possible to disclose before the course. The practical cycling element is compulsory and must be completed unless you have a valid medical reason for being unable to cycle. If you are not cycling you will need a doctors note or letter from your employer to say you are not able to take part in the practical cycling element of the course.

Employed driver here,company pays for my CPC and pays me to attend it on a weekday…

xichrisxi:

sammym:

LUNCH

BICYCLE AND HELMET

Employed driver here,company pays for my CPC and pays me to attend it on a weekday…

Good for you mate. I’m not sure why you need to brag about that though… It’s not like it’s a huge achievement getting a job as a truck driver :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

^^^ perhaps not. Some however would argue that managing to do a shift without crashing or whining like a ■■■■■ is quite an achievement.

Cheers Sammym. Some good info. Last time when it got down to the wire, the agencies here…Darlington area, were panicking and putting courses on for just the£10 upload fee…unfortunately I’d already done mine! So this time I’m doing nowt until the last minute, and they can pay! Or I might not bother at all if I can get part time work elsewhere.