Cpc hours

Found out today how my new company manage there drivers cpc hours.

They pick to successive weekends early in the year 30th Jan and 6th Feb this year, and book a course on each of the days with a local trainer.

They expect every driver to attend 1 of the days. 5 days in the bank over 5 years = new cpc card after 5 years.

Great in theory I here you say 1 weekend day a year ain’t that bad.

Now for the punchline, they say because they for you to attend the course they don’t pay you for time.

Anyone else operate like this. I can’t believe they don’t pay you for your time.

Unless you get paid less than £40 a day tell them you’ll arrange your own CPC as that is what they are likely to be paying for your place on the course.

Just had a very quick look online and a local very cheap trainer charge £75 for cpc days and they are weekdays so will need to use a holiday.

From my experience this isn’t unusual. I am delivering a course this Saturday. Course is paid for by company but drivers not paid for attending. It is however voluntary.

I get a good few of these.

If you don’t like it don’t attend and book your own. You’ll pay anywhere between £40 and £80 and of course you’ll need to take time off either unpaid or using your holidays.

We do it that way and at first it niggled me that I was expected to give up a saturday for free. Then when I thought about it, why have hassle of finding your own CPC trainer, booking it and still having to give up a day that I’m now paying for.

At least this way we were all from same firm so had a good day out of it.

In scheme of it, it’s not going to ruin anyone’s life having a Saturday sat in a room for 7hrs even if unpaid

red7jase:
Just had a very quick look online and a local very cheap trainer charge £75 for cpc days and they are weekdays so will need to use a holiday.

Depends what you’d rather do,personally I’d rather lose a days holiday than a day off so id book a days holiday and take it then,that way your not having to give up a Saturday and your still gettin paid albeit minus your course fee.

You can’t have your cake and eat it’s, company are doing the decent thing and arranging training and paying for it yet still people moan, alternative is to do it in your own time at your own expense or not bother and become unemployable as a driver I know which option makes most sense to me.

dcgpx:
sat in a room for 7hrs even if unpaid

You went to a company that made you do the whole 7hrs per day?
I did mine 5 days back to back and I would be lucky if I did 7 hrs course work combined!
Start at 9, drink tea, chat, break,watch a few slides, break, do a bit of talking, lunch, watch a few slides, break, chat and home for about 2 o’clock at the latest! :laughing:

The-Snowman:

dcgpx:

I did mine 5 days back to back and I would be lucky if I did 7 hrs course work combined!
Start at 9, drink tea, chat, break,watch a few slides, break, do a bit of talking, lunch, watch a few slides, break, chat and home for about 2 o’clock at the latest! :laughing:

Not really value for money or a good investment of your time, I did my training with shep and it was the full 7 hours every day but was useful and informative so I considered it a good investment of my time and energy.

xichrisxi:

red7jase:

Depends what you’d rather do,personally I’d rather lose a days holiday than a day off so id book a days holiday and take it then,that way your not having to give up a Saturday and your still getting paid albeit minus your course fee.

I’d do the course on the Saturday and take the following Monday off as holiday to get adequate weekly rest that way the course is paid by the company.

I will be doing the course (paid for by the company) on a rest day but 'cause I work a 4 on 4 off pattern it’s not that big a deal.

The-Snowman:

dcgpx:

I didn’t pick trainers, company did but whilst we were sat 7 hrs ( Guy taken it was worried about someone turning up to check he’d run course right!) we spent most of those hours having a laugh and debating aspects of the job.

Enjoyed day it was good so didn’t mind it.

Probably as good a deal,as you will get,my dcpc due to circumstances beyond my control, I done myself cost£463.00 for 5 days back to back,so 5 days out of 5 years,to get it sorted again, personally speaking I wouldn’t be complaining too much

We get trained, fed and paid for doing a days DCPC as an OT shift. :sunglasses:

Some of you are such a cry babies or I don’t understand British way of work.
Why should a company pay for your day attending DCPC course, when actually you must have it in order to work as HGV driver. Like demanding from a company to pay you salary while you take your drive training, for which the company payed for.

P.S for the protocol I payed my cpc from my own pocket - 300euro and 3 weeks attending.

moomooland:
Decent thing my arse.
Would you say it’s a decent thing for you to finish nights at 4am and attend unpaid course four hours later at 8am as was the case last Saturday??
Seems to me some company’s are having their cake and eating it!!

Nobody is holding a gun to anybody’s head here. The way I see it is there are three options on offer; don’t do it at all, do it at companies expense at a time of their choosing, or finally do it at your own expense at a time of your choosing.

I know which one I’d opt for.

moomooland:

MrH:
You can’t have your cake and eat it’s, company are doing the decent thing and arranging training and paying for it yet still people moan, alternative is to do it in your own time at your own expense or not bother and become unemployable as a driver I know which option makes most sense to me.

Decent thing my arse.
Would you say it’s a decent thing for you to finish nights at 4am and attend unpaid course four hours later at 8am as was the case last Saturday??

The company are giving you something for nothing all you need to give up is a little time, they are enabling you to remain employable as a truck driver for nowt, a skill and qualification you can take to any other employer yet all you do is whine about it, not hard to see why some companies give up and say sort it out yourself in your own time at your own expense is it.

moomooland:

MrH:

moomooland:

MrH:

Decent thing my arse.

The company are giving you something for nothing all you need to give up is a little time, they are enabling you to remain employable as a truck driver for nowt, a skill and qualification you can take to any other employer yet all you do is whine about it, not hard to see why some companies give up and say sort it out yourself in your own time at your own expense is it.

So in your opinion its ok to do a full night shift drive home then four hours later drive back to work for another seven hours??

When do you sleep?

Get real

It’s your call, 4 hours would be fine for me.

MrH:
It’s your call, 4 hours would be fine for me.

■■■■!