Legal or not?

Should this be sheeted?

I’d think yes. Some of that stuff will certainly work its way loose becoming an insecure load as it does so as well as littering!

No, it looks as if its bound with wire as they mostly are…and has probably been sitting out in the rain anyway…but if it hasnt…its going into a large pool of water anyway…i would do what this driver has done…strap it, and thats it…it wont lose as much as those waste tippers you see depositing it along the M1 around northampton. !!

I used to do quite a bit of that same work.
I always tried to make sure that the bales were loaded in such a way that the wire bound sides were top and bottom ie, the bale turned 90deg from the way these are. When you did that, nothing would blow out and a sheet was not necessary. The way they are loaded in the picture is the way they come out of the baler, and a lot of the forkies couldn’t be bothered to turn them. If I had them on the same as those in the pic, I would have a fly sheet over them if I was going to be doing more than 30 mph.

No,bailed and tightly packed,at best maybe a fly sheet

On a similar note, what about them crushed cars you see carried on flat beds, and only secured with straps…■■

1, what if the strap was rubbing on an unseen sharp edge…

And 2, travelling behind - and passed many going in the opposite direction, I’ve seen - and felt ‘bits’ coming off…

Those bales are steel wire bound, nothing will fly out of them, the load is legal, the only downside would be if it rained, the weight would increase quite a lot.

Looks lot more secure than the trucks you see with haybales on the back

Have to ask why put them all up the front end though?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Station Road junction with Gorton Road.

Obviously on his way into Elsa’s yard. Unlikely he will get pulled in the next 300 yards Honked! :laughing: Thought that was your last gig mate?.. I used to go into there for Downonyourluckton’s, elf & safety mad!! Also a good place to cause chaos when you are parked up outside the yard :grimacing:

Elf and safety mad now, because they were forced to, after mad arse FLT driver ran over poor truck driver. What a place. Reversing in with those high kerbs sorts the drivers out.

eagerbeaver:
Station Road junction with Gorton Road.

Obviously on his way into Elsa’s yard. Unlikely he will get pulled in the next 300 yards Honked! :laughing: Thought that was your last gig mate?.. I used to go into there for Downonyourluckton’s, elf & safety mad!! Also a good place to cause chaos when you are parked up outside the yard :grimacing:

Ahem, asking for a friend (cough cough) and you have me nailed, but surprising to hear that others think it is H&S mad as (ex)working there it was anything but.

I’d think no, that type of bale is very solid, made up of big pieces and it doesn’t really come loose.

Also, with that few on board, he won’t have a problem with gross weight even if it rains, but what a weird way to load them?! A solid downpour might put him over his axle weights.

Personally, I’d be happy enough to carry that type of bale without a sheet over them, but I’d have them spread out along the deck.

Sheeted! He’s lost half the load already! [emoji23]

[emoji57]

El Deano:
Have to ask why put them all up the front end though?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Really!! have you not thought he may have another collection?

Goldfinger:
On a similar note, what about them crushed cars you see carried on flat beds, and only secured with straps…■■

And 2, travelling behind - and passed many going in the opposite direction, I’ve seen - and felt ‘bits’ coming off…

we do the bailed cars i get them to shake them well before loading anything.then check what i can to see whats still loose.but as most places do not have a system to see whats on top then it does not get checked.but some places send a lad up to check.our h/s guy was asking about how we check and load them.i agree straps may catch on sharp edges and snap so i stop every couple of hours to see if anyhtign is loose and try keep a ey on them when driving best i can.
also spoke to some scot driver who have been pulled by vosa for checks.vosa say they should be in bulkers but there is no law saying then can not be carried on flats.as u get more weight on a flat than a bulker and they pay more for the more u carry.HMT transport import them from ireland and they have a large black plastic sheet over the loads that is left on and offload when tipped and shreded

Goldfinger:

We used to carry them sometimes and I couldn’t agree more. We had had mesh scrap sheets to stop little bits blowing off but some drivers couldn’t be bothered to sheet them and nothing was said. Same drivers that wouldn’t sweep trailer clean after they tipped so next bloke found a trailer covered in bits of scrap.
They’d be the first to complain if they followed one up the road in their car and got a puncture.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Not cars. Just bales of scrap.

mat79:

Goldfinger:

We used to carry them sometimes and I couldn’t agree more. We had had mesh scrap sheets to stop little bits blowing off but some drivers couldn’t be bothered to sheet them and nothing was said. Same drivers that wouldn’t sweep trailer clean after they tipped so next bloke found a trailer covered in bits of scrap.
They’d be the first to complain if they followed one up the road in their car and got a puncture.

Not cars I should add. Just bales of scrap.