Unmarked bridges! Min height

So it’s all gone interesting today, heard through the grapevine that someone hit a bridge, so, given I know the lad I give him a call to see if he’s ok. Apparently he had pallets on at 20high, so running about 15’9 I think, says there where no signs and the bridge wasn’t marked either.
Now I was sure that if a bridge isn’t marked it’s a minimum of 16’6?
Any ideas whether the poor kids looking at fines, firing, etc?

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

I was always led to believe that it was 16’6" too. 20 pallets high under 11ft trailer floor less than 5ft so something amiss

Railway bridges don’t have to be marked if above 16’ 3".

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … rofpsv.pdf

4th page in, labelled 2.

Traffic signs You should be aware that traffic signs are provided at bridges to show the maximum permitted vehicle height when less than 16´-3˝ (4.95 metres):

Every overhead obstacle on UK highways must be marked unless 16’6" or over. That is the law.

Euro pallets are 144mm high. So 20 are 2880mm or about 9ft 9inches.
If the pallets are non standard the problems could arise: one extra inch on each would multiply into 1ft 8inch. Or eleven and half foot of load. Five foot bed?
I certainly don’t know whats happening here, but it just may be a high load?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

We got the trees pruned by the council on the road up to the garage that I worked at after a car on a transporter got damaged .
Do not assume that the council know all the laws , as many do not .
They argued about responsibility until the 16’6" clearance was mentioned .
We also pointed out that the verge had significantly encroached the highway , the clue was that the painted central markings were no longer central .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Was the load on pallets?