Height Limit, Lack of

Since I get asked stupid questions, I thought I would ask one.
Why isn’t there a maximum vehicle height limit in the UK?
Excuse my stupidity if this has been asked before.

There is due motorway bridges ect,it’s 16ft something.

Think it’s 16’6" isn’t it■■?

I thought it was 16ft6…

I thought 16’6" was the minimum height that a bridge could be that it didn’t need a sign stating the height (or are we talking about the same thing from a different perspective :confused: )

Reef:
I thought 16’6" was the minimum height that a bridge could be that it didn’t need a sign stating the height (or are we talking about the same thing from a different perspective :confused: )

Yep, or 5m

It’s NOT 16’ 6" :wink:

^ Isn’t that sign a tad unnecessary and redundant seeing as anything that was upto and over 16’6" would likely fall into the abnormal loads region and afaik those lads don’t just set off on a wing and a prayer relying on street signage to get them from point A to point B?

In relation to max truck height:

“no limit, but wherever possible a maximum of 4.95 metres should be adhered to in
order to make maximum use of the motorway and trunk road network”

Just found this on this PDF: parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn00654.pdf

RIPPER:

Yep your right ripper,the minimum height of an unmarked bridge is 16,6…owt under that needs marking up with the height sign…

seth 70:

RIPPER:

Yep your right ripper,the minimum height of an unmarked bridge is 16,6…owt under that needs marking up with the height sign…

It was I who said about the MINIMUM Seth :wink:

Reef:

MrGodSquad:
In relation to max truck height:

“no limit, but wherever possible a maximum of 4.95 metres should be adhered to in
order to make maximum use of the motorway and trunk road network”

Just found this on this PDF: parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn00654.pdf

I have seen that before, that is just guidance on height and how to avoid hitting a motorway bridge, but it doesn’t explain why there isn’t a maximum height limit in the UK.

Reef:

seth 70:

RIPPER:

It was I who said about the MINIMUM Seth :wink:

Reef:

Soz reef,ive got them tired dry eyes and cant be arsed to propper read things,just glanced and stuck my nose in ,im gunna have 10 mins with my eyes shut im bolloxed :cry:

The UK does not, as far as I know, have a maximum height for vehicles therefore meaning they don’t become abnormal loads or STGO or anything like no matter how high they are.

We probably have more low bridges than most European countries but they have a height limit of 4m. :unamused:

shep532:
The UK does not, as far as I know, have a maximum height for vehicles therefore meaning they don’t become abnormal loads or STGO or anything like no matter how high they are.

We probably have more low bridges than most European countries but they have a height limit of 4m. :unamused:

Not Correct, over 16’6 you have to have a police route, or probably vosa route now, although I am going back a bit.

This was 18’6’’ Police ■■■■■■ all the way except through London. Birmingham to Gravesend.

111gravesend.jpg

There will have been vanishingly few bridge strikes by overheight vehicles. They are all ‘normal’ vehicles whose drivers either don’t know how tall they are, or are incapable of reading the signs. Another law with a maximum height would serve no purpose at all.

Dieseldog66:
Not Correct, over 16’6 you have to have a police route, or probably vosa route now, although I am going back a bit.

This was 18’6’’ Police ■■■■■■ all the way except through London. Birmingham to Gravesend.

Well thanks for correcting me but having been through all the STGO documentation I have, which covers all loads outside of construction and use regs, there is no mention of height apart from to say there is no height limit.

So at the moment I stand by my original post :wink:

But surely if there was a height limit under construction and use, it would be stated in the link to construction and use regs above, but it doesn’t, it say there is no height limit.

weeto:
But surely if there was a height limit under construction and use, it would be stated in the link to construction and use regs above, but it doesn’t, it say there is no height limit.

Yep - that’ll be because there isn’t a height limit!

Correct, there is no height limit in the UK, but you do need to be careful above 16’6’’ because bridges won’t (necessarily) be signed.
I happen to think it makes sense… imagine the situation over the channel, where Monsieur wants to move some machinery from one village to the next, absolutely no bridges or other obstructions on the route, but would still have an interesting conversation with the gendarmes if he was over 4m (or 4.2 in France? I can’t remember). It just gives more complications, and it won’t stop drivers hitting low bridges.