Bridge Heights

I know somewhere I have read that an unmarked bridge is a minimum height but cannot remember the height.

Just one in Northallerton near the railway station and I know I can get a bulk tipper under it and am sure went under with a 4 metre fridge but not sure about a d/decker?

Pretty sure its supposed to be 5.0m, but factor in road re-surfacing and council inadequacies and youll want to allow a little leeway!

British standard bridge height - 16’ 6" - but don’t ask me what that is in metric.

Steve

As above.
If it is less than 16’ 6", then it must be marked

We go under with Bt Deckers @ 15,11

m

SWEDISH BLUE:

It’s actually 16’ 3", reason being bridge heights go up in multiples of 3" and a 16’ 6" would not be marked and a 16’ 3" would be marked so an unmarked bridge could be 16’ 4" or 16’ 5"

Traffic signs are provided at bridges to show the maximum permitted vehicle height when less than 16’ - 3" (4.95 metres)

How high is a double decker bus?
They have to be high enough (unmarkeds) for them afaik.
It’s usually a good measuring stick, if a dd bus can do it.

I’M Standing by to be shot down in flames here :smiley: )

wing-nut:
m

SWEDISH BLUE:

It’s actually 16’ 3", reason being bridge heights go up in multiples of 3" and a 16’ 6" would not be marked and a 16’ 3" would be marked so an unmarked bridge could be 16’ 4" or 16’ 5"

Traffic signs are provided at bridges to show the maximum permitted vehicle height when less than 16’ - 3" (4.95 metres)

No, the height below which markings are required is 16’ 6" - But any bridge lower than 16’ 6" would actually be marked as 16’ 3" (or less) because, as you say, the markings are done in increments of 3".

Roymondo:
No, the height below which markings are required is 16’ 6" - But any bridge lower than 16’ 6" would actually be marked as 16’ 3" (or less) because, as you say, the markings are done in increments of 3".

Well that’s what I always thought but if you click on the link it says different so not quite sure what to believe now, lucky I’m only 13’ 8"" :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

Last time I asked a bus driver they were between 14’ 4 and 14’ 6, this was in London though if that makes a difference. We had a 14’ 9 bridge right outside our old yard at white hart lane and when stacking cars on top of each other (scrap car collections) every day you were a different height, was always a good gauge pulling up next to a bus.

robroy:

Think you will find that there are plenty of us who use the double decker bus option, whenever I was unsure in London the first thing I would look for would be a DD bus to check that a route was ok

wing-nut:
lucky I’m only 13’ 8"" :laughing: :laughing:

Jesus you’re tall!

mazzer:
Think you will find that there are plenty of us who use the double decker bus option, whenever I was unsure in London the first thing I would look for would be a DD bus to check that a route was ok

Was up King’s Lynn last week going into town I turned into A148 London Road only to find a very old building on one side of road with arch bridge signed 13’ 6", double decker in front went under it ok but knowing my luck I’d get nicked for ignoring the sign so turned round and went long way round.

wing-nut:
m

SWEDISH BLUE:

I’ve got that leaflet from a couple of years ago so it must’ve changed at some time…

robroy:

There’s a bridge just out of Walsall towards the A5 marked 14ft and double decker buses fly under it and I’m sure buses are taller than 14ft

Does anyone know why there is a bridge marked at 16’9" on the A50? Been wondering for years.

cupidstunt:
Does anyone know why there is a bridge marked at 16’9" on the A50? Been wondering for years.

It was a regular route for abnormal loads.

Although bridges under 16’6 MUST be marked, it doesn’t say those of 16’6 or over can’t be marked.

The Main Rail Line in Rugby is also marked up at 16’ 6".

Don’t imagine it would be wise to have a bridge strike there :open_mouth:

Here is one marked at 18’ 8" in Armadale.

Thought it was a bit strange when I saw it for the first time.

Malky80:
Here is one marked at 18’ 8" in Armadale.

Thought it was a bit strange when I saw it for the first time.

Could be worse… Look at the signs on the right - there’s 1 bridge.

google.co.uk/maps/@53.48712 … 6656?hl=en