Advice Needed

Hi Guys just looking for a bit of advice my relative wants to buy a 7.5 ton truck to move around his own staging equipment which people would hire from him and he would set up on site. He has had his car licence since before 97 so can drive it but as a self employed business would he need operators licence and or cpc tachos etc. Truck would be kept on his own private land. I have my own thoughts but probably not the right ones would welcome any feedback, thanks in advance.

Driver licensing and Operator licensing are totally different things.

The relevant advice is quite easy to find…

“You will need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if you use a goods vehicle of over 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight or (where there is no plated weight) an unladen weight of more than 1,525kg to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business.”

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

Trucker56:
Hi Guys just looking for a bit of advice my relative wants to buy a 7.5 ton truck to move around his own staging equipment which people would hire from him and he would set up on site. He has had his car licence since before 97 so can drive it but as a self employed business would he need operators licence and or cpc tachos etc. Truck would be kept on his own private land. I have my own thoughts but probably not the right ones would welcome any feedback, thanks in advance.

He will need a restricted operators licence so won’t need a CPC holder to act as TM.

He will need to do the driver CPC though.

He will also be in-scope of EU regulations so will need to use a tachograph.

Cosmic:
Driver licensing and Operator licensing are totally different things.

The relevant advice is quite easy to find…

“You will need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if you use a goods vehicle of over 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight or (where there is no plated weight) an unladen weight of more than 1,525kg to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business.”

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

Hi. i also have a friend who is a sound engineer he was considering doing the same thing i did some asking around on his behalf ie cpc instuctor,off duty vosa guy they came back with Hire and Reward is … a transport company picking goods up from one place and delivering to another for a price

non hire and reward is transpoerting your own equipment from site to site/venue to venue ( as the transport element is not the prime reason for moving equipment )
but you still need a limited operators licence ,etc etc etc
he decided against it in the end as running the vehicle would be too expensive fuel /maintanence/insurance etc
he just runs big vans instead

Easy way is to use a 3.5 tonner with trailer @7 tonne gtw no operators licence required or dcpc just a tacho .

Notimetoulouse:
he decided against it in the end as running the vehicle would be too expensive fuel /maintanence/insurance etc

I hope they’re not ones with twin wheels on the rear axle because he may need an O license.

Punchy Dan:
Easy way is to use a 3.5 tonner with trailer @7 tonne gtw no operators licence required or dcpc just a tacho .

For both own account or hire and reward ?
No dcpc or O licence
How’s that work then Dan ,exploiting a loophole or legit ?
Jim

Non hire or reward but business use are exempt if the trailer is less than 1020 kg empty which is how it used to be for hire or reward .

Conor:

Notimetoulouse:

I hope they’re not ones with twin wheels on the rear axle because he may need an O license.

no not twin wheels just lwb high top iveco

Conor:

Why would twins make a difference to needing an O licence or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:

Conor:

If you run anything over 3.5t mgw for your business you require some sort of O License.

If the OP’s mate is filling 3.5t long wheel base Sprinters to the rafters with staging equipment, he could well be overloading them. The payload is normally only about 1.5t.

If OPs mate is putting more than allowed payload then it’s simply overloaded nothing to do with O licences. That’s most builders overweight then!

Understand the need for O licence if MGW is >3.5t , didn’t get why saying if twin wheeled axle makes a difference.

A lot of twins are still rated 3.5t, I know you can spec 6t , my last place had these as local delivery vans. Unless Conor meant if it’s a twin check what it’s rated at in case you have an up rated one and not realised the extra regs for them

Back to some builders again [emoji6]

rob22888:

dcgpx:

Conor:

If you run anything over 3.5t mgw for your business you require some sort of O License.

If the OP’s mate is filling 3.5t long wheel base Sprinters to the rafters with staging equipment, he could well be overloading them. The payload is normally only about 1.5t.

More like about 1200kg when the drivers in and full of fuel ect ect .