Baby trucker help please

Hi
Instead of continually renting a 7.5 ton truck I intend to buy one shortly. Could anyone please tell me if I require an operators licence since I understand it is not classed as an HGV. Also what other documents / permits / requirements I would I need to run it on the road.
Regards
Ian

yes, you need an O licence !

Surely you require an Operators licence even if you are renting them for commercial use?

What type of work do you? Is it hire and reward or transporting your own goods?

I was wondering that too muckles, you beat me to it… :smiley:

:open_mouth: Since impounding is an option, I wonder whether the renting company have checked the need for an “O” licence before renting out the vehicle?? :open_mouth:

Maybe our new friend needs a CPC too…

I know when I’ve hired vehicles for work that we haven’t been asked for our O licence, but they have a declaration that vehicles over 3.5tonnes are operated under your o licence.

Thanks for speedy response peoples.
Where/how do i get one, looked on many gov sites, seems you guys are only ones who can give good advice
Ian.

ecotrails:
Where/how do i get one, looked on many gov sites, seems you guys are only ones who can give good advice
Ian.

Applying for an “O” licence is anything but speedy, I’m afraid. :frowning:
The next stage will depend on the type of work you want to do ie. own goods, hire-and-reward national or hire-and-reward international. I’d estimate at least 3 months and there are many potential pitfalls…

To get an “O” licence, you need to apply to the Traffic Commissioner in whose area you’ll be based.

ecotrails:
Ian.

lots of info here
CLICKY

Denis F:
lots of info here

:laughing: Ahhh Grasshopper, when you can take the identity disc from my hand, it will be time for you to go :wink:

ecotrails:
Ian.

What type of work are you doing with the trucks?

That could make all the difference to the requirments you have to meet to get an O licence.

I guess you could call it a removals business mainly, transporting other peoples property, in Uk, but also to Greece, certainly only within EU
eco

Many thanks again for all your assistance, at last I begin to see the light, have applied for an operators license ‘party pack’ this very morning.
Ian

Be very careful chief. At the moment you are running illegaly. You must have an o licence to run owt above 3.5 tonne I think. They could impound the truck if caught without o disc in window (is it insured??). If you have a mate with an o licence you could specify it on his but they don’t like you doing this, less chance of getting caught than you are now though. If you can’t do this, back on the transits till you get o licence which can take up to a year to get!

Thanks mr surfer, much appreciated.

Only ran a 3.5 to Greece (but for future want 7.5s, then 18s, then…).

Think I was legal on the 7.5s in UK but we’ll put that one to bed now just in case of an ‘error’.

Okaaaay,
Looked on VOSA site, seems in order to get an ‘o’ licence I have to obtain a ‘CPC’ or do I? Looking in ‘Commercial motor’ there are adverts that enable you to use people with 'CPC’s as your remote transport manager, is this true and is it viable for me as a one (possibly two) small truck owner to use their services especially since at first I expect to be not so busy.

Secondly since I wish to obtain a CPC is there anybody out there who can recommend or sell me the necessary books , dvds etc to study from.

Ian

In your situation I would use an employed transport manager with a cpc to get the o licence application running. I would also take the cpc exam myself and eventually become the transport manager (it’s not easy, some people take 3 attempts to pass it and some give up). Just make sure the guy you employ as transport manager is “of good repute”, no vehicle related convictions or criminal record. Do a search on here for home study cpc packs or you can take intensive 2 week courses with the exam at the end, whichever suits or try one and if you fail try the other. You need to be of good repute as well with no convictions as previously stated, if you have you need to list them on the application.

Yes, going the route of home study. I have experience of teaching at different levels so should be ok with self study. Have now bought the book by David Lowe which, from researching on this wonderful forum, seems to cover the knowledge needed. No probs with personal convictions, as landlord of a pub I hold personal licence that has required police checks etc. I have been in contact with a couple of companies that would act as CPC holder / operations manager for me to enable me to obtain ‘o’ licence ‘fairly’ quickly, waiting for their further information by post.
Will keep you posted of developments.
As always, thank you for your support.
It seems that ‘learn direct’ no longer run the CPC courses which is a shame.
Ian

For info on CPC home study,
take a look HERE

Try a search (link at the top of the page) for CPC, that should give you a few more helpful threads.

Thanks for that Kate, lot’s of good links.
The 2 CPC holders I have contacted so far want about £300 per month to act for me until I obtain my own CPC, do you consider this a fair price?
Ian

ecotrails:
Thanks for that Kate, lot’s of good links.
The 2 CPC holders I have contacted so far want about £300 per month to act for me until I obtain my own CPC, do you consider this a fair price?
Ian

That sounds reasonable to me, although tbh I don’t really know. I’m an employed driver, this part of the business is my bosses department :laughing:
However, another option offered was to employ a transport manager with their own CPC, which would cost a lot more than £300 a month.

Some quick arithmetic, £300 a month is only £3,600 a year, to look after 2 trucks (?).
To make a poor living, your CPC holder would have to be hired out to look after another 18 trucks as well.
Considering the time, effort and expense of gaining a CPC in the first place. Plus the actual managing of your 2 trucks, £300 definitely seems reasonable to me.

Silver_Surfer:
Be very careful chief. At the moment you are running illegaly. You must have an o licence to run owt above 3.5 tonne I think. They could impound the truck if caught without o disc in window (is it insured??). If you have a mate with an o licence you could specify it on his but they don’t like you doing this, less chance of getting caught than you are now though. If you can’t do this, back on the transits till you get o licence which can take up to a year to get!

I would class that as quite dangerous advice.

Commercial Motor fill up the 8 legal pages with cases such as this, normally resulting in all parties going down the pan