Taking it up the Pass

Is Woodhead worth the hassle these days? Liverpool to Rotherham via Leeds? 20 mile difference, but I have started regularly going this way. Anybody else do this, with firms blessing?

Nah, stick to motorway, flat to mat, speed over distance.

^^^^^^^^^^^
this +1
no sweat.the pass is hard work even on a nice sunny day with herberts out for a dawdle.
stick to the gridock m62 and take it handy :wink:

I’ve used Woodhead a couple of times in the last 5 years because both the M6 and 62 were buggered :open_mouth: , amazing i hear you say.
I used to use it a lot in days gone by but Tintwistle is just a bloody nightmare, so wouldn’t bother again unless forced due to accidents on other routes,

On one local run i could go the shortest route, about 30 miles but every bloody junction you have to stop or near enough stop at leads to a long climb of the best part of half a mile or more.
The alternative is probably 15 miles longer but its dual carriageway and motorway all the way, with only one motorway climb.

I checked over several trips using the OBC, it takes about 5 minutes longer going round and i use between 1 and 5 litres less fuel doing so, never once has the shorter route worked out better even partly loaded.

Don’t know about going east but going west in a morning an hour can be soon lost at glossop end

The wisdom of the collective! Feel better now. Not being tight over fuel, just pride messing a bit with my head. Like all of you, back in the day, it just seemed the only way to go for the professional. Now, with VOSA waiting at Mottram, and the endless queues through to TIntwhistle going both ways it just seems a bad idea. Sometimes though, you just need to hear somebody else say it! :neutral_face:

Thought you were all hard as nails truck drivers where the bigger the challenge the better and now i find you’re all taking the easy route. {Shakes head}. :smiling_imp:

For my sins I’ve done it many times but just to add to the above trucker image its in a 15’ 11" trailer, at night, usually when its ■■■■■■■ it down and blowing a gale which seems to be every time they shut the A50 that I want to use.

Its erm, character building esecially as there’s always a truck sitting right on your back end for miles who finally passes you then realises you’re going slow as you cant see and its twisty as hell! :open_mouth:

Now i know theres no extra points i’m using the 62 from now on…except they keep shutting that too at night.

I love going over the Woodhead, but during peak time’s it is a nightmare. Normally I hit it early morning about 5-6am and it’s fine, then coming back if I do, mid afternoon.

The top side of the M60, and the M62 I hate with a passion, you can keep that crap, I’ll stick to the Woodhead every time.

Woodhead is nice for a ride out on a sunny day when you’re in no rush for a bit of a change but other than that, motorway.

Used to do the same run A to B a couple of times a day and found although going via the Woodhead was 12 miles shorter, it took 20 miles longer when compared to going the same A to B via the 62. If I have to use the woodhead at peak times to get to the M60, I run up the outside lane at Mottram and head towards Ashton. As the stop start at mottram has been know to loosen a few loads in the back :blush:

Juddian:
I’ve used Woodhead a couple of times in the last 5 years because both the M6 and 62 were buggered :open_mouth: , amazing i hear you say.
I used to use it a lot in days gone by but Tintwistle is just a bloody nightmare, so wouldn’t bother again unless forced due to accidents on other routes,

On one local run i could go the shortest route, about 30 miles but every bloody junction you have to stop or near enough stop at leads to a long climb of the best part of half a mile or more.
The alternative is probably 15 miles longer but its dual carriageway and motorway all the way, with only one motorway climb.

I checked over several trips using the OBC, it takes about 5 minutes longer going round and i use between 1 and 5 litres less fuel doing so, never once has the shorter route worked out better very scenic though ey juders? Not had the pleasure of going there for donkeys sadly.I always get a Tolkienesque vibe from that area.

manalishi:

Juddian:
very scenic though ey juders? Not had the pleasure of going there for donkeys sadly.I always get a Tolkienesque vibe from that area.

Er the short hop i’m talking about on the fuel comparison is about as far in scenic value from the Woodhead route than you could ever possibly imagine :cry:

Yes if i could use the Pass in the early hours during the summer and enjoy the scenery i would.
The part of the country that feels most like home for me is Cheshire, despite never having lived there, my dad hailed from Tarporley, it always feels ‘right’ there.

Juddian:

manalishi:

Juddian:
very scenic though ey juders? Not had the pleasure of going there for donkeys sadly.I always get a Tolkienesque vibe from that area.

Er the short hop i’m talking about on the fuel comparison is about as far in scenic value from the Woodhead route than you could ever possibly imagine :cry:

Yes if i could use the Pass in the early hours during the summer and enjoy the scenery i would.
The part of the country that feels most like home for me is Cheshire, despite never having lived there, my dad hailed from Tarporley, it always feels ‘right’ there.

Heartily concur old bean especially where it skirts the Shropshire regions,had many a feccund motion of the soul in this locale missen although the regions bordering Caerphilly I find float my frigate in the main.

peirre:
Used to do the same run A to B a couple of times a day and found although going via the Woodhead was 12 miles shorter, it took 20 miles longer when compared to going the same A to B via the 62. If I have to use the woodhead at peak times to get to the M60, I run up the outside lane at Mottram and head towards Ashton. As the stop start at mottram has been know to loosen a few loads in the back :blush:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same here, cut up past Stalybridge and through to Ashton, and onto the M60 @ Selco…cuts 16.2 miles each way on one of our jobs :wink:

Early doors or in between leeming hours seems to do the trick time wise :open_mouth: [IMO]

This might help planning your route, traffic reports update every two minutes :-

glossop.online/traffic/

Other websites may be available :smiley: