Anyone driven on this pass in their truck?

Funny but having just done this in my car I wondered the very same thing. A quick look at the map and it seems like a sensible route from Ambleside across towards Ravenglass. Nice and straight with a few hills :laughing: It was a bit of an eye opener, not that it seemed to bother the mountain goat drivers in their Sprinter minibuses.

I reckon a smallish 4 wheeler might be do-able not sure I’d want to though.

Wheel Nut:
In an earlier life I used to deliver parcels around North Yorkshire and twice a week my run was across from Ripon, up to Bedale, Leyburn, Aysgarth and Hawes, then backtracking down through Hellifield or Grassington with farm and catering supplies before starting my proper shop deliveries in Skipton. That was interesting with dry stone walls, narrow passing places and manic sheep farmers and sheep leaping over walls. In summer it was much worse with grockels in camper vans. The best thing was getting paid to drive in the most beautiful scenery in the world. My Yorkshire :stuck_out_tongue:

If I could go back 35 years I would be quite happy with a TK Bedford again :slight_smile:

I know what you mean driver.
Just a few weeks ago we recovered a logger wagon that fell off the road between Kirby Stephen and Hawes.
To be fair, the artic never fell off the road, the road subsided from under the artic.
We were a good 10 miles along the (single track) road when we found the causalty.
Had to reverse for 2 miles just to find somewhere to turn the wrecker around, even then we wouldn’t have turned there if it wasn’t double drive.
Luckily for us the customer decided to leave the trailer there after we’d got it back on the road (thank [ZB] for that), we just recovered the unit, driver had snapped the halfshafts trying to drive out.
Absolulely beautiful scenery, low summer sun, killer midgies :smiley:

Was here: flashearth.com/?lat=54.42343 … =0&src=msl

I used to use Snake pass on a regular basis and during winter it could get bed, I often saw vehicles take the plunge into the ravines. There was a pub half way along where everything stopped when it was closed by snow, I can’t remember it’s name but I did get pulled in there for the night during one such storm.

I use to do recovery in mid wales, so been in lots of tight places.

I done that pass in a drawbar wae my eyes shut dont like to brag though

Pat, strangely enough it’s called " the Snake Pass inn " used to be one of my favourite biking roads until they put a 50 mph limit on it. Out on Woodhead pass back on the snake still do it sometimes, can’t beat it for scenery and it’s not far from my house.
Done Hardnott pass once in a car and about three times on a bike. Can be a challenge on a bike at times because the road surface is a bit iffy in places, but good fun. wouldn’t even contemplate it in a truck.

The Snake Pass is a motorway compared to the Hardknott/Wrynose. Getting a 44t artic over the H and W is not possible. If you think you could - you clearly haven’t been over them! :smiley:

Snake pass inn… So it was, I remember now, last time I drove it was in 95 working for Tesco and got a bollocking for taking that route to get to Middleton depot and using too much time up :laughing:
One time when I worked for Swifts in the 70’s I picked up a hitch hiker as I left Sheffield and after about 20 minutes we saw a van down a ravine on fire, the hitcher went white and explained that the very van had stopped to offer him a lift but he didn’t like the way the driver seemed drunk … Near miss for him.

Drive past them most nights, not had the gonad’s to try them in the 3.5 Tonner though :laughing:

Worst one I’ve driven was Corney Fell, hate that road with a passion!

closest thing to a truck Ive taken over the hardknott was my old Landrover 101 forward control, once was enough and that was with a V8 and permanant 4 wheel drive

Truckulent:
The Snake Pass is a motorway compared to the Hardknott/Wrynose. Getting a 44t artic over the H and W is not possible. If you think you could - you clearly haven’t been over them! :smiley:

defo snake pass pub love driving over that way, weve just started a job oppisite the pub
pulling logs out so take your time please dont fancy meeting any of you head on, right nastey gateway weve gota come out of :frowning:

The Snake - Glossop to Ladybower (twice actual speed). DAF CF 85/380 if anybody’s interested!

removed

Cruise Control:

Imp:

nickb67:
Been on LPG mini-bulkers for a while now and some roads are right belters. There are times when you HAVE to be nice to a farmer and his tractor!

faz82:
Thats Hardknott Pass in ■■■■■■■■ no way would you get a truck over it…

IIRC somebody tried it in a Spar W & D a couple of years ago. Don’t think he got very far. :open_mouth:

toowise:
…Heres a couple of pics of some of the type of roads we go down most weeks…

Pic 4 (with the ford): Had some fun on a road like that just along from Irongray recently, not the same one is it? Unsure as it’s not pitch black and there’s no sheet ice!

Wasnt the spar truck that tried it a artic with smaller trailer. Im sure Ive seen a picture of the trailer havng to be airlifted out under a chinook. The guy that did our first 7 hours cpc sleeping showed us it I remember now.

EDIT: its only a small picture

a well boss moment…

That picture is still in the Office at Millers. I know because one our Lee works there.

W

EDIT: its only a small picture

a well boss moment…

lol, quality :slight_smile:

Is the Chinook bit true â– â– 

Looks a fun road for a blast on the bike, a landy or a suitable prepped car :slight_smile:

It’s an entertaining road to drive. Made more fun by the horror on the faces of the old wrinklies that attempt to drive over in their Micras… :smiley: :smiley:

used tae go upto Wanlockhead from the A76 ,scotlands highest village and do farms on the way up in a 6x2 ,or a 4wheeler.
interesting to same the least!
eddie erfguy those were the days lol…
jimmy

I have regulary taken a 10 ton crew cab recovery slidebed truck up over both passes recovering cars that either burn out clutches or wreck their wheels on the rocks at the edges. It is very tight with truck this size and can only get over hardnott coming from langdale to eskdale direction. The spar truck was rescued by Furness Cars and Commercials and Millers of Longton recovery companies working together, it wasn’t airlifted out by a helicopter !!

I did the hardknott pass in a 4 metre wheelbase sprinter flatbed with double rear springs it was so rigid that on the way up through the bends the back wheel kept leaving the road it took 3 atempts to get up!

Ok. I’VE done H&W on a Norton Commando 850 (front wheel pawing the air), a loaded Transit (scary on the way down) and a Mk1 Golf GTi (scared the life out of the kids!). Want to cycle it next.

Did it last year in a brand new car with the Mrs and 3 kids on board. I’m usually up for most things but it was pretty bloody awful, would have been happier on my own in an older vehicle with a few dents and dings but was determined to get through unscathed. Did so but I think I gained a few more grey hairs doing so.

Not sure I’d

a) fancy driving a Sprinter bus full of tourists over it

or

b) going on a mountain goat tour in a Sprinter bus.